How are your trail cams looking this year?

mdwest

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
We've got a lot more hogs coming in this year than last... my buddy and I that share a lease plan on trying to hammer them hard in Sept and early October and hopefully run them off before they start to impact our deer herds...

As usual we have an abundance of does (we really need to cull the population down a bit this year).. and only a handful of bucks coming in... We're surrounded by a much larger lease that honestly is over manned, and they dont appear to have any rules in place.. I get the impression they are an "if its brown, its down" sort of club.. which makes hunting nice bucks at our place a bit of a challenge..

We do have 2 pretty nice, older, large rack, bucks that are unafraid of daylight coming to the feeders on a fairly regular schedule this year.. Im hoping we can take one (or both) during bow season, before our neighbor lease starts shooting up the place and knocking down everything that moves while the sun is up...

This one in particular keeps a very consistent schedule, and always travels alone (the other big boy has a smaller, younger buck in tow with him most of the time)...

Deer.jpg

We have to take ours down by July 31-which blows because the best pix come later in the season. There are lots of elk this year and some nice mule deer bucks, fingers crossed for a good season

I need to get mine going. It is fun but a job for me here at the ranch. Plenty of culling to do this year as always.

I let my feeders run out of corn this year as I had to move one feeder. I just refilled and the cameras are back on. The deer are just starting to come back. I’ve only seen a couple of small bucks and a ton of hogs at the feeder I had to move, because of the hogs. I have no clue how to get rid on those damn things.

If y
I let my feeders run out of corn this year as I had to move one feeder. I just refilled and the cameras are back on. The deer are just starting to come back. I’ve only seen a couple of small bucks and a ton of hogs at the feeder I had to move, because of the hogs. I have no clue how to get rid on those damn things.
We have tried to get rid of the hogs and a trap seems to be the most efficient. As far as the feeders go we have a 24-30” fence around them, easy for deer to jump, but keeps the hogs out. You can see the fence in my pictures in my prior post.

We barely had any hogs last year. This year their numbers have surpassed the deer.

I’m headed to the lease next weekend.. 3 hunters, all with AR10’s and thermals… hoping to drop as many pigs as possible before they start running off the deer… but im not sure how much impact we’re going to be able to have on them before season starts..

Bastards are the scourge of Texas..

I’d rather have a liberal California transplant neighbor than a pig visiting my feeder… and I hate California transplants with a vengeance lol…

We barely had any hogs last year. This year their numbers have surpassed the deer.

I’m headed to the lease next weekend.. 3 hunters, all with AR10’s and thermals… hoping to drop as many pigs as possible before they start running off the deer… but im not sure how much impact we’re going to be able to have on them before season starts..

Bastards are the scourge of Texas..

I’d rather have a liberal California transplant neighbor than a pig visiting my feeder… and I hate California transplants with a vengeance lol…

Unfortunately, the Californians vote the hog don’t. I’ll take the hogs over them. Funny, how both want “free” stuff.

Any Californians with nice Blacktail on-cam? They are Beautiful! TX friends get the classic Illegals-at-Night shots. These are from Jun/Jul/early Aug as I only check ev 45+ days or so depending upon locale...'simply cannot wait to check cams end O' Aug! I'm "For" remote cams, but because battery life seems to be an issue in most (you still wind up disturbing the area for maint.,) I'm simply resigned to the traditional cams at present, but checking only some ev 45-60 days. I'll add more as I know this'll time out while searching...Many we'll allow to grow up for several more years but the one is now 15 pts! :) We are beginning to see the results of intensive work on 110 ac of an old fam farm we bought back during covid (prior "Rouge Cous" that inherited the property from his dearly departed farmer parents shot everything at all times. Neighbors have noticed the difference and are thanking us profusely for the hard work. :) It's Therapeutic and a GREAT lifestyle...bottom is now 15 pts and growing. :) Pls don't share this post with Whitetail Properties, et. al. They're quite good for Sellers. Quite the opposite for Buyers! ;) Like Bidenomics of RE. I see new gas wells being drilled on the next ridges...."Drill baby, Drill!" (prev. paid for my kids' Undergrad degrees.)
1724076040122.jpeg
1724076324042.jpeg
1724076382204.jpeg
1724076447377.jpeg
1724076538000.jpeg
1724076678504.jpeg

Last edited:
These are really remote locations 1-2 mi into old farm properties, so new gen would-be poachers are too lazy and we have a cemetery dedicated to them (no signage necessary.) :p One year I caught a redneck doing a deer drive with his 3 gps-collared dogs. His hunting career ended thereafter, due to big landowner "interventions!" Last pic is of the rare and elusive Appalachian Sasquatch (last known pic of a beer gut on a male that hadn't enjoyed one or overeaten for years) just prior to the world's most expensive "tummy tuck" by gastro/oncologist/2 surgeons on 8/15 (detected 7/19!) I'm feeling just like Charlie Daniels years back: "Isn't it Good to Be Alive and Be in the USA?!!!" YES, IT CERTAINLY IS. :) 'Should be 100% by or before Labor Day, humbled, re-born, reset and just looking forward to the rest of LIFE! Please do YOU and YOUR Family a favor and get ALL recommended screenings ON-Time. Devoted Carnivores (esp. >40 y/o) need to move that body every single day and incorporate proper fiber into the diet, always stay properly hydrated and refrain from overdoing it with the libations after a hard day's work. Following this medi-pro's advice will spare you of a giant PIA! ;)
1724078499167.jpeg
1724078524518.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20240816_015624.jpg
    IMG_20240816_015624.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240721_202856~2.jpg
    IMG_20240721_202856~2.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240804_172747.jpg
    IMG_20240804_172747.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240720_201803~2.jpg
    IMG_20240720_201803~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Really good quality animals on all the cams, guys. I congratulate all of you on your wildlife management practices.

Up here, I'm in a conflict zone. 40 miles south is Buffalo county, home of more whitetail world records than anywhere else. That area has been under QDMA practices since about 1975 and it shows. Up here, we have a lot of elderly farmers that hate deer but love opening day deer drives, killing anything of any age that they can throw buckshot at indiscriminately.

As a consequence, I get to see 200" potential deer on my cameras every year, but they die as 1.5 to 2.5 year old deer in their 130s and 140s from the local farmers.

Sad to say because they are otherwise great people, but I have to outlive the elderly farmers. The thirty-something bow hunters up here are hunting only mature trophy-quality deer. In another ten years, the youngsters will have locked up all the leases and then my own properties will finally have mature deer on them as a consequence. Photos of the typical "lead buck" in the bachelor herds at present.

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 10.49.33 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 10.49.58 AM.png

Roosevelt Bulls western Oregon, now they need to be 50 yards or less in the daylight
838FF8F1-6F57-4A9E-9FEE-F369A708D005_4_5005_c.jpeg
8EFD2840-82ED-4105-A15E-A869E522C470_4_5005_c.jpeg
when Bow Season starts next Saturday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefty Outdoor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!