Houston, we have a problem…

Let your smith know, if he would have done a chamber casting he could have avoided some of the things he did to remove the brass. It is a pretty easy process.

Belted magnums for me get reloaded twice. That is the most I will do. When hunting will only use new brass, will not chance it. Do people get more, yes they do. Are they running a risk of what happened to you, IMHO yes.
Well, the guy who removed the case has a little experience, as he’s built many high quality rifles. He ended up taking it to a buddy who’s also a rifle builder and benchrest shooter. They have a wee bit of experience between them, so I stayed out of the way. It took more than either of them expected.

He’s also custom loaded ammo for people for many years. Several hundred thousand rounds. This was ONCE FIRED brass, all originating from the same box of factory ammo. We shot the factory ammo for barrel break-in, then he loaded it, so we know where the bad brass came from and how much it was shot. He was shocked this happened, pissed at himself for not checking the brass well enough and told me the only other time this happened was over 30 years ago, with a 270 of all things.

Well, the guy who removed the case has a little experience, as he’s built many high quality rifles. He ended up taking it to a buddy who’s also a rifle builder and benchrest shooter. They have a wee bit of experience between them, so I stayed out of the way. It took more than either of them expected.

He’s also custom loaded ammo for people for many years. Several hundred thousand rounds. This was ONCE FIRED brass, all originating from the same box of factory ammo. We shot the factory ammo for barrel break-in, then he loaded it, so we know where the bad brass came from and how much it was shot. He was shocked this happened, pissed at himself for not checking the brass well enough and told me the only other time this happened was over 30 years ago, with a 270 of all things.

From what you are describing the two builders do not have to deal with stuck case that much.

The heat from the metal and it actually flowing over the neck of the case will allow it to pop out pretty quickly and easily. I'm not telling you that they don't know what they are doing, only providing another option they may not have thought about.

As far as their ability to reload, again I'm not questioning that. Stating what works for myself and what I do when I take reloads to the field. What anyone does with that information is up to them.

Let your smith know, if he would have done a chamber casting he could have avoided some of the things he did to remove the brass. It is a pretty easy process.

Belted magnums for me get reloaded twice. That is the most I will do. When hunting will only use new brass, will not chance it. Do people get more, yes they do. Are they running a risk of what happened to you, IMHO yes.
@Inline6
Some of my 25-303 improved are on their 8th reload and when I was working up loads for my Whelen I used the same case 5 times
After 5 reloads ALL my cases are trimmed, rechamfered if needed and annealed. T hose cases are still going strong. I used a Lee collet die so the shoulder is not touched and a fls if they are getting bit tight chambering.
Bob

@Inline6
Some of my 25-303 improved are on their 8th reload and when I was working up loads for my Whelen I used the same case 5 times
After 5 reloads ALL my cases are trimmed, rechamfered if needed and annealed. T hose cases are still going strong. I used a Lee collet die so the shoulder is not touched and a fls if they are getting bit tight chambering.
Bob

For non-belted cases I have seen some crazy life. 6BR have been known for 30+ reloads on the same case. Belted case you are rolling the dice. I'm not risking it when a hunt is on the line.

For non-belted cases I have seen some crazy life. 6BR have been known for 30+ reloads on the same case. Belted case you are rolling the dice. I'm not risking it when a hunt is on the line.
@Inline6
When I went to Namibia all my loads for both my rifle and my sons rifle were virgin brass. Like you on an expensive hunt NEW BRASS.
At home for hunting I use brass that could have been loaded up to 100 times. My personal rule is after my brass has been trimmed twice it doest get trimmed again it gets binned. Not worth the risk to me.
Bob

@Inline6
When I went to Namibia all my loads for both my rifle and my sons rifle were virgin brass. Like you on an expensive hunt NEW BRASS.
At home for hunting I use brass that could have been loaded up to 100 times. My personal rule is after my brass has been trimmed twice it doest get trimmed again it gets binned. Not worth the risk to me.
Bob

For my match rifles I shoot the brass unit I have loose primer pockets. Depending on the primers that could be from 5-10 reloads. In all honesty I probably loose the brass in the field before I throw it away. Most of the matches you will loose brass.

Good friend of mine had no end of issues with once-fired Federal brass for his 280AI. I don't think it's an issue with the case head, I'm just of the opinion that Federal is having some pretty serious QA problems.

Good friend of mine had no end of issues with once-fired Federal brass for his 280AI. I don't think it's an issue with the case head, I'm just of the opinion that Federal is having some pretty serious QA problems.
@sgt_zim
I use federal premium brass in my son's 308. Absolutely brilliant cases. Started with 200 cases and hopefully that will go close to doing him the life of the barrel all going well.
Bob

@sgt_zim
I use federal premium brass in my son's 308. Absolutely brilliant cases. Started with 200 cases and hopefully that will go close to doing him the life of the barrel all going well.
Bob
the stuff my friend is using started life as factory brass.

i bought some federal 308 about 4 or 5 years ago for my 2 sons' rifles, no issues with that stuff.

Bad brass. Have reloaded Remington, Federal and Winchester brass in my rifle for many years with nary an issue.

@sgt_zim
Bob

If he doesn't beat on the barrel. It will go in excess of 6k rounds. I know a guy that had 20k on a 308 barrel still shooting 1/2MOA.

I have a fair amount of experience with belted cartridges reloading for my 300H&H.
Incipient case head separation is a fact of life with belted cartridges and anyone reloading for them should have an inspection step looking for the early signs while doing case prep.
Using a piece of wire with a small 90 degree bend at the end to feel the inner wall quickly shows up if there's a 'valley' on the inner wall - the sharper the valley, the closer case head separation is.

There are tricks to reducing the thinning of the case wall just ahead of the belt. The biggest one is using the 'partial full length' resizing method or just bumping the shoulders back. While chambers all vary slightly and different cartridge brands have slightly different dimensions, case life will vary from brand to brand and rifle to rifle. Of course if the head space is generous or excessive, then case life suffers accordingly.

If you're having to trim on every reload and the amount of trimming is quite substantial, then you know that your case is stretching/flowing and the place the brass is flowing from is just ahead of the belt, creating the valley where the brass thins.
The variations in case capacity (i.e. wall thickness) between brands and batches and even the ductility of the brass alloy being used all play a role in wall stretching and thus case life.

Shooting hot loads adds to the rate of stretching and failure.

My 2c is that it's unlikely it was a bad batch of brass (although anything is possible) for the OP - generous headspace, significant resizing and a hot load would be the likeliest causes IMO. Sure the case batch played a role but putting all the blame there might be a bit too convenient.

In my experience, with mostly Hornady and Norma brass, the incipient failure gives a few warning signs - a bright ring on the brass just ahead of the belt for one. With Hornady, the cases cracked quite gradually with cracks forming and developing over 2-3 cycles. I never had a complete separation with them. With Norma failure has been more rapid and I have had 2 complete separations that were unexpected - I knew there were valleys forming but my unscientific wire hook feeler suggested that there was still more life. I was proved wrong! Now I bin the case when the bright ring above the belt shows up.

I agree with the advice to use known good brass for hunts and when it matters. The older, dodgier cases, if they have to be used, are kept for practice and initial load development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anuskaxett

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]