Hotel’s in Jberg

Plus 1 on Africa Sky. They took care of my rifles and got them through customs and SAP. They also secured the guns while we took a side trip to Vic Falls before my safari In Zimbabwe.

Talk to Jennifer at Travel Express.
+1 again,

stayed at Africa Sky twice, both times were great stays, Gilbert was invaluable getting guns thru and also was great getting me to and fro.

Travel Express was also awesome and they set up my last stay.

Probably because know one knows about it. This is first I’ve ever seen mentioned. Do they assist with rifles at airport?
I've never heard of them.

They both offer identical services for hunters. I prefer Africa Sky over Afton. Afton has more taxidermy but I like the rooms better at Africa Sky for the same price. My first/only time at Afton, I was issued my room but the bathroom was shared across the public hallway. I also felt Afton just dropped the group off from the airport and abandoned everyone. I’ve had good experience at Africa Sky each time and like the service so I continue staying there. You meet a lot of hunters at both.
This is similar to my experience with Afton. I had my own bathroom but the room in general wasn’t the cleanest and had an off smell. I will use Africa Sky on my next trip.

Probably because know one knows about it. This is first I’ve ever seen mentioned. Do they assist with rifles at airport?
I typically use someone else to help with rifle permits and transport to Witwater. They do have a safe to store firearms. I use Adel at Hunter's Permits Africa. I have also used Bruce. I think any of the permit folks could help with permits and transport. I'm sure Witwater could arrange transport too, but I have always done it myself.

Funny you should ask I just got to Joberg last night. My travel agent recommended Africa Sky and I can’t agree more. I did their VIP meet and firearms along with hotel stay. Both are extremely reasonable. Young man named Timbor (I hope I got that right) met me at the gate and walked me ahead of thousands of others waiting in line at Customs. He got me in line with 3 other people vs lines with hundreds. He then waited behind the exit for customs. When it was my turn the customs lady asked how did I get in her line. I pointed to Timbor she started laughing and stamped my passport. He then helped me get my suitcase and walked me to SAPS office. Had to wait about 5 minutes for the rifle case to come up and checked the serial numbers and we were off. No more than 15 minutes after I walked off the plane I was getting driven to the Africa Sky guest house. A short drive later we were there and they handled my rifles and suitcase. Got a drink pick out my meat and sat down to a wonderful dinner with fellow hunters. Couldn’t recommend it any more. I didn’t get a picture of the pork Kessler steak but highly recommended it. In the morning they will take me back to the airport and walk me through the Air Link process for checking rifles to Port Elizabeth.

Attachments

• IMG_5819.jpeg
    IMG_5819.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5820.jpeg
    IMG_5820.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5821.jpeg
    IMG_5821.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5827.jpeg
    IMG_5827.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5828.jpeg
    IMG_5828.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5829.jpeg
    IMG_5829.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5830.jpeg
    IMG_5830.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5831.jpeg
    IMG_5831.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
It's good to see you write this. I have never done the VIP service but now that you say that (and I have seen others skip the line), I will do so this Oct on my next trip!

The nice thing is there are some options for us. I have yet to be told there was no room in the inn to rest my head. That kind of surprises me but I like it!

Funny you should ask I just got to Joberg last night. My travel agent recommended Africa Sky and I can’t agree more. I did their VIP meet and firearms along with hotel stay. Both are extremely reasonable. Young man named Timbor (I hope I got that right) met me at the gate and walked me ahead of thousands of others waiting in line at Customs. He got me in line with 3 other people vs lines with hundreds. He then waited behind the exit for customs. When it was my turn the customs lady asked how did I get in her line. I pointed to Timbor she started laughing and stamped my passport. He then helped me get my suitcase and walked me to SAPS office. Had to wait about 5 minutes for the rifle case to come up and checked the serial numbers and we were off. No more than 15 minutes after I walked off the plane I was getting driven to the Africa Sky guest house. A short drive later we were there and they handled my rifles and suitcase. Got a drink pick out my meat and sat down to a wonderful dinner with fellow hunters. Couldn’t recommend it any more. I didn’t get a picture of the pork Kessler steak but highly recommended it. In the morning they will take me back to the airport and walk me through the Air Link process for checking rifles to Port Elizabeth.

If I suggested a trip through Jo’Burg without a stay at Africa Sky I would have a revolt on my hands!

As to the VIP service, I stood in line once. Every trip since I have paid for the VIP service. On one departure to Zim security was backed up beyond belief. Gilbert took us to a consular line in a different location and we walked right through.

I have stood in line so many times...and why? Crazy.

Here's another thing...who are these people who walk up through the main line saying excuse me, excuse me...and going to the front? I know you've seen this. It's the weirdest thing.

Just to clarify, is it Africa Sky guesthouse in Rustenburg or Africa Sky Boutique in J’berg?

Afton House without question. Mr X did a great job getting us thru the Airlink process.

On arrival to Jburg we stayed at African Sky and on departure we stayed at the Intercontinental hotel.

Both are great, but I will say that I enjoyed African Sky more; it was nice being around hunters from all over, Ivan Carter and family were having dinner at the table next to us.

My first trip is a month from today, we're staying at Africa Sky just north of JNB based on lots of recommendations from the guys here.

My first trip is a month from today, we're staying at Africa Sky just north of JNB based on lots of recommendations from the guys here.
you will really like it there good people and very good food and Gilbert will take very good care of you from start to finish

First what is your idea of a place to stay. Hotel same as any other country's hotel? Something with the flare and style of Africa? And do you have a budget or care how much it is? I have stayed at all the ones mentioned, all did outstanding jobs, Gilbert found my lost guns, but one night equals two nights at Sunrock. They do have the best trophy room, food was outstanding, home cooked not hotel style. Also shuttles to and from airport.

I will stay there again, awesome people, feels Africa and very cost effective.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreyFisher

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available