Hotel’s in Jberg

CarsonG

AH senior member
Reaction score
I’ve never been to Johannesburg in RSA, what hotels are recommended? Preferably places where they have safes to hold our rifles for a day or two.

Afton House or Sunrock.

I’ve never been to Johannesburg in RSA, what hotels are recommended? Preferably places where they have safes to hold our rifles for a day or two.
City Lodge if you have an early flight the next morning can’t be beat. inside the airport unlike Afton or others. great food

As said by others, Afton House or Africa Sky can both store guns and luggage for you in a locked environment while you do other touring in RSA outside of your hunt. They are about 10-15 minutes from the airport and will pick you up and shuttle you to their location. Both are great and quiet options

Afton House was great, made gun permits easy, and shuttle service. Nice place, great food, made it easy on a first timer this year. I hear good things about the other placed mentioned as well.

The holiday inn is just like every other holiday inn as far as quality. They also have an airport shuttle and when I stayed there last year, they also had a driver for hire, but I would check on that before booking if such thing is required for a day.

As said by others, Afton House or Africa Sky can both store guns and luggage for you in a locked environment while you do other touring in RSA outside of your hunt. They are about 10-15 minutes from the airport and will pick you up and shuttle you to their location. Both are great and quiet options
Both are great and offer permitting services, etc. Good beds, good food, hot showers...excellent options. I've also stayed on the airport campus but prefer Afton or Africa Sky to get away from the airport vibe and crowds.

So what does Africa Sky and Afton House have to offer. What is different and which one has the Animal mounts?

So what does Africa Sky and Afton House have to offer. What is different and which one has the Animal mounts?

Afton has a lot of animal mounts, I’ve stayed there three times. I think the biggest difference they offer is a gun safe where they will lock up your rifles and hold them while you do other touring. Not sure that City Lodge or other hotel options offer this service. I had them store my rifle for a week before my buffalo hunt in 2023 while my son and I flew up to the Okavango

Afton is also owned by the editor of African Hunting Gazette and he offers discounts on trophy shipping and taxidermy through a network of vendors he has personally vetted. The savings are worth looking into.

Witwater Guest House. I don’t know why it isn’t more popular here. It blows all the other places out of the water.
Probably because know one knows about it. This is first I’ve ever seen mentioned. Do they assist with rifles at airport?

They both offer identical services for hunters. I prefer Africa Sky over Afton. Afton has more taxidermy but I like the rooms better at Africa Sky for the same price. My first/only time at Afton, I was issued my room but the bathroom was shared across the public hallway. I also felt Afton just dropped the group off from the airport and abandoned everyone. I’ve had good experience at Africa Sky each time and like the service so I continue staying there. You meet a lot of hunters at both.

Afton is also owned by the editor of African Hunting Gazette and he offers discounts on trophy shipping and taxidermy through a network of vendors he has personally vetted. The savings are worth looking into.

I’m actually using AHG trophy shipping thru Afton for my hunt I just did with NKWE and Numzaan in June. They picked up my skulls and capes from the RSA hunt and are tanning the capes while we wait for the Botswana dip and pack to be ready for shipment. They are aggregating my trophies from Botswana and RSA into one shipment for me. Will see how their shipping rates compare to past experience and report on AH once I have them home

Africa Sky. The assistance at the airport from Gilbert is invaluable also.
Plus 1 on Africa Sky. They took care of my rifles and got them through customs and SAP. They also secured the guns while we took a side trip to Vic Falls before my safari In Zimbabwe.

Talk to Jennifer at Travel Express.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?