Hornady CX Bullets

I bought the outfitter ammo for my 7mmPRC with the same intent you did. I wanted to shoot the new gun and had not developed any loads for it. I don't like the ELD-X bullets at all for hunting. So I thought the outfitter with the 160 CX bullet might be OK. I never got to develop loads, in fact don't even have Dies for it because the CX bullets were .3 moa. I shot two whitetail so far one at 40 yards and one at 150. No bullet to recover both deer bang flop. My rifle is a Seeking Havoc Element so its super light and may go to Africa for plains game.
I will say I literally just watched a buffalo hunt on YouTube last night in which a lady used a 270 CX load in her 375 H&H. Not the bullet I would have picked but I'm guessing it was milder recoil. It was a chest shot in the shoulder crease. Bull looked sick at first but they had to track it for 4 days.
By luck they found it and she finished it. The first bullet exploded on i!pact and never entered the lungs.
I'd trust it on plane game but nothing with big shoulders like zebra or wildebeest.
Hornady makes the CX in 250gr. The 270gr. would be the Interlock which would explain the blowup!!!!

I stand corrected. It was a 250 CX in .375
YouTube video: "wounded Buffalo Kept Huntress busy for 3 days!!"

I will share ..... not to pick on her but,...... she was not prepared with the rifle. Misleads, short strokes it, double loaded. She should have practiced a lot more. That could have been tragic!

I have used Hornady 120 grain bullets in a 6.5 creedmoor and had great results with them.

Pretty much the same as the 120 barnes ttsx which I also used.

I’m sure they will work fine on elk and practically anything else.

Yes I think it's a good bullet but don't think it's a Cape buffalo bullet in a 250gr. .375

It sounds like it would be good in something like a 338-06 compared to the TTSX where you do not have the magnum speeds. I will have to check it out.

Watched the video, IMHOpoor shot placement on a frontal shot. She was high and right. I have followed a buff that took a similar shot with an a frame and went 2-3 km and several more shots. She may have hit the shoulder and I would guess only 1 lung. The whole hunt has questionable planning ie she doesn't look familiar with shooting and yet she is lining up offhand shots at longish distances. Looked like a recipe for disaster from the start.

Went back and watched it a few times. The PH says in the crease but it looks to me like she hits outside shoulder. At first I thought it broke the shoulder but then you see it running pretty normally at the front of the bunch in the next shot. I think it hit shoulder muscle and maybe knicked the bone and gave it a dead leg for a short time. So I would say she simply missed the vitals and she could have used any bullet and the result would have been the same.

I can't disagree with any of your thoughts. And like I said I am a fan of the CX in my 7PRC. When it comes to Buff there are so many proven bullets, even some other new ones, and better bullet weights for that caliber..... Add in her unfamiliarity with the system and I don't think any of us are surprised. Hell bad stuff happens to even very experienced hunters especially when chasing dangerous game. I am glad the family enjoys hunting together and all but she is clearly hesitant with that rifle. Glad she was able to see success in the end.

I would like to try CX bullets in my 404 but apparently Hornady only sells them loaded up ... and $200/box is kinda above my budget. Right now Hornady pretty much has the North American market cornered for this caliber so I'm following this thread with interest. My rifle is very happy with Hornady brass (RWS not so much) so I may decide to try a box ... after I talk to my mortgage adviser. :D

I can't disagree with any of your thoughts. And like I said I am a fan of the CX in my 7PRC. When it comes to Buff there are so many proven bullets, even some other new ones, and better bullet weights for that caliber..... Add in her unfamiliarity with the system and I don't think any of us are surprised. Hell bad stuff happens to even very experienced hunters especially when chasing dangerous game. I am glad the family enjoys hunting together and all but she is clearly hesitant with that rifle. Glad she was able to see success in the end.
I think you are right, "poop" happens to all of us. It does seem that the CX is softer than maybe a ttsx. I kind of feel that an a.frame also opens more easily than a ttsx so maybe not a bad thing.

I don't recall the rifle brand used, but for 2 people to have feeding problems with that action would give me pause ever using it again on buff.

Im not sure the accuracy of the CX out of my Christensen Arms can be improved upon... but Im going to give a box of the 212gr ELD-X Precision Hunter a try this week as well and see how they stack up against each other..

The more I read sources that have a large number of western state hunters and long distance shooters, it seems like the ELD-X and ELDM bullets are what theyre preferring in the 300 PRC..

Im pretty sure terminal performance in either the ELD-X or ELDM wouldnt top what the CX is capable of.. but if it is more than good enough for elk.. and I can squeak out any additional accuracy from the rifle, I'll take any/all advantages I can get my hands on..

More to follow after I try another box or two of ammo :)
My Blaser R8's J Sip 7 PRC barrel greatly preferred the ELD-X Precision Hunter to the CX Outfitter bullets. This was across 3 3-shot groups with each set of ammo. I fired one group over about a 3 min period, let barrel & suppressor fully cool while I shot a diff rifle, switch ammo, repeat. The ELD-X was consistently tighter group. ELD-X was typically close to all 3 touching while the CX had larger spacing. The std deviation on Outfitter ammo was also higher.

I would like to try CX bullets in my 404 but apparently Hornady only sells them loaded up ... and $200/box is kinda above my budget. Right now Hornady pretty much has the North American market cornered for this caliber so I'm following this thread with interest. My rifle is very happy with Hornady brass (RWS not so much) so I may decide to try a box ... after I talk to my mortgage adviser. :D
My bad! DGX is the bonded bullet I would like to try. And now all of a sudden lots seem available at substantially reduced prices. Hornady must have just done a good run of 404.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CecileStei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available