Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Ive seen a few posts here and there from guys have started shooting Hornadys CX monometals.. so I thought I'd ask... who all is using them? to what extent? and do you like them?

Im a dyed in the wool Barnes TTSX and TSX guy.. I really like monometals.. they seem to fly extremely well in every rifle I have put them through.. and as long as you put a little velocity on them they have always been absolutely devastating on everything Ive ever shot with them..

Long story.. but somehow a Christensen Arms Mesa in 300 PRC followed me home this weekend, and now it wont leave... so Im thinking Im going to have to feed it something sooner or later... :)

PRC ammo isnt exactly easy to find.. but Cabelas did have a couple of boxes of Hornady Outfitter loaded with 190 gr CX pills on top.. so I grabbed them... my thoughts are I'll use one box to get the rifle zero'd and get a little trigger time in with it.. and if they group well.. AND if people report back that the CX is performing well in the field, I'll take the second box on a hunt with me in Idaho later this year (elk and whitetail).. then I'll probably buy a few more boxes... once all of that is gone, I'll have a decent brass stash built and should be able to load for myself from that point forward...

If however the factory ammo wont group and/or it doesnt look like the CX is a good option for a 300 yard elk shot.. I'll take the 40x pieces of brass I get from the 2 boxes already on hand and start trying to build a load with barnes 200gr TSX (apparently with the 1:8 twist in the 300 PRC, 190 is about as light as you can go and expect good groups and stabilized bullets.. and really 190 is only an option because the monometals tend to be a good bit longer than similar weight lead core bullets (i.e. the 190 mono should fly more like a 200+ gr lead core bullet)..

I also picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady Superformance 300 Win Mag with 165 gr CX bullets on top for my wife to try out in her 300 Win Mag.. (which also followed us home this weekend)... as long as the CX is a performer, Im thinking a 165gr monometal trucking along at about 3260fps at the muzzle should topple any elk at any reasonable shooting distance (again, assuming the CX performs similar to the barnes TTSX)..

So... thoughts on the CX? anyone shot a lot of these things? how are they doing both in terms of holding groups and in terms of effectiveness on game?

Theres really no cost savings (the CX are actually a couple of bucks more expensive than TSX right now)... and Barnes has been pretty readily available both online (midway) and locally (cabelas and scheels).. .so for me its really about which one is going to perform best downrange..

I have tried CX in 7mm, 6.5, 270 and 30 cal. Plains game up to Kudu as well as Deer and hogs.. Have had absolutely excellent performance. Shoot as accurate or a touch better than Barnes. Same velocity with a touch less powder and less fouling. Used them 2 yrs ago in the Eastern Cape on Duiker, Mtn Reedbuck, Springbok, Warthog,Blessbok, Gemsbuck, Kudu and Impala. 7x64 with both 150gr. Barnes and Hornady CX. I'll stick with Hornady whenever I can.

Used a few boxes of the 308 “outfitter” 165cx in my 18inch Bergara with a silencer this past Texas deer season.

It seems to work just like a Barnes. It wasn’t super accurate in this very accurate rifle.
I haven’t had good luck with Hornady velo consistency and overall accuracy- just my experience

I now shoot a frames/ fed blue box (same poi) from it and keep the Barnes in my 30-06.

All this is really besides the point - to answer your question - as a Barnes man you won’t be left disappointed in Hornady mono performance- they make a good copper pill.

190 copper sounds great for elk being pushed by PRC power!

I killed a few Nilgai with the old GMX when I couldn’t get Barnes. I couldn’t tell a difference

IMG_6053.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it passed the first test… the Christensen Mesa seems to really like the Hornady outfitter load…

I took the rifle to the range this afternoon to get a zero and just see how it would group… shooting 3 round strings it averaged just under 1 moa at 100.. with the best group producing a super tight .60 inch cloverleaf… the Christensen “sub moa” guarantee is no joke..

I’ll take it to the range a few more times between now and October and probably put another 40-60 rounds through it… assuming it continues to group the way it currently is, the next test will hopefully be on an Idaho bull elk and an Idaho whitetail in about 3 months…

So far I’m definitely liking what I’m seeing…

I have done some testing of 185 grs Hornady CX in 338 calibre (my rifle is 338 win mag). Picture below shows this bullet after being shot into water jugs at 20 metres with v0 at 600 m/s (left), 700 m/s (centre) and 900 m/s (right). As can be seen, the bullet lost its petals with v0 of 900 m/s. Similar testing I have done with Barnes TTSX in 338 indicates that the Barnes bullet stays intact at similar velocities. I have also seen tests performed by others using water jugs with 30-calibre bullets also indicating that the Hornady CX bullets is more fragile than the Barnes TTSX.

Whether this is a major disadvantage with the CX bullet can be discussed, of course. In my opinion, some copper pieces into the meat does not really concern me, I'm more concerned with old time cup and core lead bullets shedding off half its weight into the deer...

Accuracy of this 185 grs CX bullet in my 338 win mag was excellent.
338_HornadyCX.jpg

I have done some testing of 185 grs Hornady CX in 338 calibre (my rifle is 338 win mag). Picture below shows this bullet after being shot into water jugs at 20 metres with v0 at 600 m/s (left), 700 m/s (centre) and 900 m/s (right). As can be seen, the bullet lost its petals with v0 of 900 m/s. Similar testing I have done with Barnes TTSX in 338 indicates that the Barnes bullet stays intact at similar velocities. I have also seen tests performed by others using water jugs with 30-calibre bullets also indicating that the Hornady CX bullets is more fragile than the Barnes TTSX.

Whether this is a major disadvantage with the CX bullet can be discussed, of course. In my opinion, some copper pieces into the meat does not really concern me, I'm more concerned with old time cup and core lead bullets shedding off half its weight into the deer...

View attachment 618867
Looks deadly

Looks like it passed the first test… the Christensen Mesa seems to really like the Hornady outfitter load…

I took the rifle to the range this afternoon to get a zero and just see how it would group… shooting 3 round strings it averaged just under 1 moa at 100.. with the best group producing a super tight .60 inch cloverleaf… the Christensen “sub moa” guarantee is no joke..

I’ll take it to the range a few more times between now and October and probably put another 40-60 rounds through it… assuming it continues to group the way it currently is, the next test will hopefully be on an Idaho bull elk and an Idaho whitetail in about 3 months…

So far I’m definitely liking what I’m seeing…
Glad that worked out! Get some more boxes for sure. Take the good luck and run with it!

My better half has shot everything from steenbuck to Croc with the 185gr GMX 338 RCM, and could tell the difference from a barnes. The CX is an updated version of that bullet. Glad to hear they work great in your PRC will have to try them in my Beraga.

I’ve been using the 185 GMX in 338 RCM with great results, bought a bunch of the 185 CX bullets a while back but haven’t loaded any. I’m expecting the same performance which is excellent imo.

Im not sure the accuracy of the CX out of my Christensen Arms can be improved upon... but Im going to give a box of the 212gr ELD-X Precision Hunter a try this week as well and see how they stack up against each other..

The more I read sources that have a large number of western state hunters and long distance shooters, it seems like the ELD-X and ELDM bullets are what theyre preferring in the 300 PRC..

Im pretty sure terminal performance in either the ELD-X or ELDM wouldnt top what the CX is capable of.. but if it is more than good enough for elk.. and I can squeak out any additional accuracy from the rifle, I'll take any/all advantages I can get my hands on..

More to follow after I try another box or two of ammo :)

Im not sure the accuracy of the CX out of my Christensen Arms can be improved upon... but Im going to give a box of the 212gr ELD-X Precision Hunter a try this week as well and see how they stack up against each other..

The more I read sources that have a large number of western state hunters and long distance shooters, it seems like the ELD-X and ELDM bullets are what theyre preferring in the 300 PRC..

Im pretty sure terminal performance in either the ELD-X or ELDM wouldnt top what the CX is capable of.. but if it is more than good enough for elk.. and I can squeak out any additional accuracy from the rifle, I'll take any/all advantages I can get my hands on..

More to follow after I try another box or two of ammo :)
Ya the 212eldx is plenty of lead… We cant kid our selves there. Might even kill the elk faster.

I just love copper because I like straight line penetration from any angle. That 190 copper will go ass to chest on a bull elk from most any distances. While that soft eld-x will certainly stop in the stomach. Some people would only take a broadside so no issue

Or a hard quartering to shot if you jump a bull in timber? Again, 212eldx is lots of lead and I bet would kill it dead and bust the shoulder, Maybe….

But we know that copper will bust it and then exit too haha

Public land elk you gotta take your chances when you get them.

Sometimes the same weight CX will leave my barrel at different velocities than the TTSX with the same charge. Probably because the CX is an alloy bullet whereas the TTSX is pure copper. The CX uses a high percentage of copper, but it's an alloy, nonetheless.

Sometimes the same weight CX will leave my barrel at different velocities than the TTSX with the same charge. Probably because the CX is an alloy bullet whereas the TTSX is pure copper. The CX uses a high percentage of copper, but it's an alloy, nonetheless.
I have found the CX shoot a little faster than the TTSX in the same weight and charge.. Better yet.

I have a Christensen Ridgeline in .300 PRC and I've used the Hornady Outfitter 190-grain CX on two hunts so far. In my rifle, the CX was much more accurate than the 212-grain ELD-X. It was also like the hammer of Thor on all of the plains game that I've shot with it. I've struggled a little finding a handload that I've been happy with so the CX factory ammo has been the answer.

I bought the outfitter ammo for my 7mmPRC with the same intent you did. I wanted to shoot the new gun and had not developed any loads for it. I don't like the ELD-X bullets at all for hunting. So I thought the outfitter with the 160 CX bullet might be OK. I never got to develop loads, in fact don't even have Dies for it because the CX bullets were .3 moa. I shot two whitetail so far one at 40 yards and one at 150. No bullet to recover both deer bang flop. My rifle is a Seeking Havoc Element so its super light and may go to Africa for plains game.
I will say I literally just watched a buffalo hunt on YouTube last night in which a lady used a 270 CX load in her 375 H&H. Not the bullet I would have picked but I'm guessing it was milder recoil. It was a chest shot in the shoulder crease. Bull looked sick at first but they had to track it for 4 days.
By luck they found it and she finished it. The first bullet exploded on i!pact and never entered the lungs.
I'd trust it on plane game but nothing with big shoulders like zebra or wildebeest.

View attachment 618867
So basically it sheds petal at pretty much 3000 fps impact velocity. I am pretty positive about your tests.I like a heavier projectile at lower velocity, as long as it opens reliably. I think that puts it closer to lead core bullets performance ie it opens quick and big. But maybe not a great bullet for the extreme velocity guys?

I bought the outfitter ammo for my 7mmPRC with the same intent you did. I wanted to shoot the new gun and had not developed any loads for it. I don't like the ELD-X bullets at all for hunting. So I thought the outfitter with the 160 CX bullet might be OK. I never got to develop loads, in fact don't even have Dies for it because the CX bullets were .3 moa. I shot two whitetail so far one at 40 yards and one at 150. No bullet to recover both deer bang flop. My rifle is a Seeking Havoc Element so its super light and may go to Africa for plains game.
I will say I literally just watched a buffalo hunt on YouTube last night in which a lady used a 270 CX load in her 375 H&H. Not the bullet I would have picked but I'm guessing it was milder recoil. It was a chest shot in the shoulder crease. Bull looked sick at first but they had to track it for 4 days.
By luck they found it and she finished it. The first bullet exploded on i!pact and never entered the lungs.
I'd trust it on plane game but nothing with big shoulders like zebra or wildebeest.
Not trying to start a war but I doubt she hit the right spot. 4 days of tracking means she missed her mark. Almost any bullet will punch through the lungs heart if you don't hit major bone. Bullet failure is blamed for poor shooting all the time.

I would seriously question her shot placement. I have not seen a copper or copper alloy bullet blow up! One of the problem with comparing CX and TTSX is that bullet recovery is rare. Straight thru shoulder on large hogs, Warthogs, Elk, Kudu and Gemsbok with either brand of bullet.

Not trying to start a war but I doubt she hit the right spot. 4 days of tracking means she missed her mark. Almost any bullet will punch through the lungs heart if you don't hit major bone. Bullet failure is blamed for poor shooting all the time.
Thank you

The video showed were the bullet hit. The impact is seen as well as the video of the wound after recovery and they cut it open looking for the bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PearleneJu

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available