Holy Crap, I Like Adventure As Much As The Next Guy, But This Is A Little Much.....

Guys,
I was the hunter that narrowly escaped this attack. I wanted to remain anonymous until my bongo was safely in the USA. Glad to say it is here now. I also wanted to avoid any bad press (like the Cecil lion story) just before I got busy with my outfitting season here in the States.

I want to thank all of you for your support and well wishes. It was truly a miracle that the dozens of shots from the 9 LRA cult gunmen that shot at Jacques and I did not hit either of us. I still can't believe the luck we had to survive and not even be wounded. If I would have done one little thing different, I would have been hit by a bullet I am sure. I had no chance to return fire as I only had three rounds in the .375 and had bullets hitting all around me with no cover other than a small beachball-sized rock that I dove behind. The rock helped temporarily but being 6'1" tall with 9 LRA walking towards me while firing AK-47s, I knew I had to get up and run for my life.

Obviously, I will never press my luck and go back to CAR or even other Central African countries. I don't care what any CAR safari operators may say - it is not safe. DO NOT GO until things change significantly. I will go back to Eastern and Southern Africa but not to Central Africa. I also am thankful my wife did not go on this trip because she and I would probably have been killed because I would have never left her behind. She has been with me on all my other African trips.

Good luck to all of you on your upcoming hunts and stay safe! Thanks, Scott L.

Thanks for letting us know brother! Glad you made it out OK and with a bongo to boot! A whopper of a tale for the grandkids, I can see their big eyes now listening to the story.

Scott CWO,

I'm very glad you made it out unscathed. I was just relaying this story to a non-hunting buddy of mine the other day. What a story!

Point taken about Central Africa. Would love to do a LDE and Bongo hunt in Cameroon one day, but this experience has me reconsidering that.......a shame really.

Sandman,
Yes, a shame. I also wanted a LDE. You might be able to hunt southern Cameroon for bongo safely but I would be a bit worried about northern Cameroon for LDE. Word has it that there have been some under-reported problems in northern Cameroon lately.

Obviously, I will never press my luck and go back to CAR or even other Central African countries. I don't care what any CAR safari operators may say - it is not safe. DO NOT GO until things change significantly...........

Scott, Bloody hell man, that was a nightmare. Great news the Bongo made it home.
I was thinking about heading into the Chinko and then things changed. I was still considering until I asked DOC404 for his opinion. His advice echoes yours.

Brickburn,
I also considered the Chinko with CAWA until they pulled out. I should have got the hint I guess. Thanks for the kind words. I am going to Maasailand in Tanzania in July for the gazelles, lesser kudu, oryx and buffalo. Hoping I don't have any trouble there. Have you been there? Thanks, Scott

Wow, harrowing tale! Glad you got your bongo back amd all is well!

Glad to hear you and the other members of your. Safari team made it out safely.

Getting the trophy out too is a nice bonus.

Brickburn,
I also considered the Chinko with CAWA until they pulled out. I should have got the hint I guess. Thanks for the kind words. I am going to Maasailand in Tanzania in July for the gazelles, lesser kudu, oryx and buffalo. Hoping I don't have any trouble there. Have you been there? Thanks, Scott

One of these days. When someone who lived there for years, lived through being jailed decides it is time to pull up stakes.... Yeah, it was a sign. :)

If you have some pictures of the actual hunt take some time and do a write up here on AH for us. I would love to see the good bits.

Thanks for chiming in Scott and glad you survived this ordeal. My best wishes, Jerome (y)

Scott,

Congratulations on the bongo, talk about a hard earned trophy!!

I was a couple hundred mile west south west of you on a self guided rainforest hunt when you were being shot at. My experience was a little adventurous but pales in the danger you faced.

It appears Rip Cord responded quickly, that part of the world can be an operational nightmare for evacuation services.

There are many good people in central/western Africa and had the good fortune to have several help me navigate through an interesting time there.

You know there are some bad places when you consider the Republic of Congo safe when compared to other countries in the region.

I am not trying to scare anybody from going, but make certain the country is reasonably safe and you have a good outfitter, I am thinking about a buffalo hunt in the Congo rainforest with Christophe.

Last edited:
I am not trying to scare anybody from going, but make certain the country is reasonably safe and you have a good outfitter, I am thinking about a buffalo hunt in the Congo rainforest with Christophe.

I agree Mike. Christophe I trust.
Doing come considering of my own in that regard. :sneaky:

@Scott CWO I am glad your both ok god was looking out for you on that one buddy. Quite a story to go with that trophy(not one you seek out but quite a story) glad to hear you got your bongo back.

Scott really happy you got your bongo and even more happy you have lived to tell the story.

I truly think if you had returned fire , you wouldn't be here writing this post. Someone was watching over you.

When you land in Bangui, there is a shantytown off the side of the runway with guards keeping people off the runway. Not exactly the best security situation!
IMG_1468.JPG

The drive from the hotel to the airport is the riskiest part of being in Bangui. You don't want to get boxed in by vehicles and then robbed by bandits so you keep moving and dodging traffic. In this pic, I was headed back to the airport to catch my charter flight to Rafai. After the attack on my way out, I sat in the middle back seat with a CAR soldier with a machine gun on my right and a former French special forces soldier provided by Ripcord on my left. In the front passenger seat was another Ripcord security guy and we also had a lead car in front of us.
IMG_1157.JPG

The Cessna Caravan I took to Rafai.
IMG_1159.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhoebeRade

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with