Hi from a Namibian born Nevada resident

knersus

Reaction score
Hunted
United States, Namibia, South Africa
I was born in Namibia, and my sons in South Africa. After 15 years in the USA, we are grateful and proud Americans. We are settled and integrated, here on the Eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada. We have joined local hunting communities and have been lucky enough to draw some Nevada hunting tags over the last 5 years.

However, when my youngest hunted his first Eland on our SA visit in 2023, I saw him get re-attached to our continent, after leaving Africa at the age of 2, and I became painfully aware of something lingering in the background, namely the Africa-shaped hole in our lives. Brian Jackson (British Journalist and author) said: “Everything in Africa bites, but the safari bugs is the worst of all”. Don't we know it!

My mission is to promote Southern African hunting to the next strata of American hunter. There is a wildly unfair perception back home that American hunters need pampering (and will pay for it), perhaps because the industry started with big-5 trophy hunting. Having lived and hunted here I now know that the average tag hunter in the USA works much harder than his SA counterpart. It is my mission to show these hunters that African hunting is withing reach, and at the same time convince SA operations to cater for them.

Do you mean that, in your opinion, the hunting outfits in Southern Africa put too much emphasis on luxury accommodation for Americans? That the average American hunter would be ok with simpler accommodation?

Yes, that, and the need to tag along, which is unfortunately a legal requirement. A tag hunter that sits on a mountain for days to scope out the movement of elk, is probably somewhat offended by the need to walk behind en the need to be pointed and told exactly what to do. How to overcome the legal PH requirements, and a land owner not knowing the skills and ethics of the hunter is not clear, but worth working on. That’s my mission.

Glad you’re here with us knersus! It’s always great to hear that people look at the US as a good place to live, and come here to legally settle. You and your family are truly Americans.

The notion that we Americans need pampering is sadly not limited to the hunting fields of Africa! Not sure how this happened. Generations of Americans traveled around the world and endured shockingly poor conditions. Americans endured very poor conditions, and an equally poor reception, in places like Tripoli, Mexico, The Philippines, Belleau Wood, La Pointe du Hoc, Falluja and many other locals. When required, we’re a rather tough bunch.

Your observation about tag hunters is on the mark. We play hard here in the States. Given the opportunity I think many more of us would hunt in Africa under far more spartan conditions if it meant reduced rates.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH! You have a noble quest to explain and convince your NA hunter friends about the great African hunting opportunities available to them at very reasonable costs when compared to the same for a NA guided hunt. I have so far been unable to convince any of my elk hunting buddies to partake. I'm still trying though.

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH knersus!

welcome, I think each hunter would need a personal eval. probably more women will be inclined to hunt when offered the 4 star accommodations , maybe I should have said most women ,no offense intended.likewise some men too, my personal experience has been restricted by covid, or rather the bio warfare . it took 27% of my lungs and very nearly killled me. Im back but not like I use to be, I chukar hunt for 1/2 a day, not day break to dark any more.

Welcome welcome welcome

Welcome to AH!!

Good day! Welcome!!

Hello and welcome!

Greetings knersus,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Nevada is a rifleman’s paradise.
It is one of only less than a half dozen states that I would consider living in, if for some unknown reason, I decided to leave my home behind and move away.

People who don’t live in Nevada often don't realize that your state has trout fishing.
No doubt you already know that your east slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains offers both Rainbow Trout and German Brown Trout fishing.

The first trout I ever caught was in those mountains, summer of 1963.
I was only 10 years old.
It was just a small (very small) rainbow trout.
But, I felt as excited as if I had just bagged a huge Lord Derby Eland.

Anyway Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Greetings knersus,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Nevada is a rifleman’s paradise.
It is one of only less than a half dozen states that I would consider living in, if for some unknown reason, I decided to leave my home behind and move away.

People who don’t live in Nevada often don't realize that your state has trout fishing.
No doubt you already know that your east slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains offers both Rainbow Trout and German Brown Trout fishing.

The first trout I ever caught was in those mountains, summer of 1963.
I was only 10 years old.
It was just a small (very small) rainbow trout.
But, I felt as excited as if I had just bagged a huge Lord Derby Eland.

Anyway Cheers,
Velo Dog.
We are in Nevada for a reason, started in Pennsylvania, then Georgia, then California, and now happy in Nevada, like Namibia, but with snow.

We are in Nevada for a reason, started in Pennsylvania, then Georgia, then California, and now happy in Nevada, like Namibia, but with snow.
Welcome to the great State of Nevada, neighbor. I live in Minden, just a hop, skip snd jump from you. Some of us Nevadans should get together some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie36H1

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg