Heym 89b 450/400

I'd just say that "not all double rifles are created equal". Being even more precise, no two Heyms are created equal. And of course, no two calibers are created equal.

There are Heym smallbore and medium bore double rifles out there that shoot 1.5" MOA 100 meter groups. It depends on the gun, the ammo, and how the ammo was regulated to that gun if handloads.

@VertigoBE owns a Heym smallbore that is probably a 225 meter gun for Kudu sized game. A 470 or 500NE heym of wonderful accuracy is still probably a 125 meter gun by comparison.

@Red Leg owns a blaser S2 double rifle that he has had astounding long range accuracy with over the years and has published his experiences on this forum. (don't remember the caliber, but might have been 375HH)

I'd just say that "not all double rifles are created equal". Being even more precise, no two Heyms are created equal. And of course, no two calibers are created equal.

There are Heym smallbore and medium bore double rifles out there that shoot 1.5" MOA 100 meter groups. It depends on the gun, the ammo, and how the ammo was regulated to that gun if handloads.

@VertigoBE owns a Heym smallbore that is probably a 225 meter gun for Kudu sized game. A 470 or 500NE heym of wonderful accuracy is still probably a 125 meter gun by comparison.

@Red Leg owns a blaser S2 double rifle that he has had astounding long range accuracy with over the years and has published his experiences on this forum. (don't remember the caliber, but might have been 375HH)
I have found the exact same thing...DRs seem to be very tempermental in every way. They are all a wonderful mystery to be solved. As I have always recommended based on my experience not opinion...pay the extra money to get an expert opinion and check up for any DR bought. You will never regret it.

As I said earlier, my new Merkel was said "to be perfect mechanically" by a well respected person but not a DR world wide expert. When I sent the gun to JJ Perodeau he made three fixes to get the gun to "perfect" as new condition...I get the gun tomorrow and have 6 weeks to gain expertise for my August hunt.

My double in .375 Flanged Magnum is capable of producing 2 inch 4-shot groups on 100 meters scoped regularly and if I do my part really good I sometimes get close to 1 inch groups. On 200 meters I have only managed a 3 inch group once, however it seems to be capable of producing 4 inch groups routinely, shooting from sticks that is in both cases, might be able to do better from a standing rest like the one Graeme Wright suggests in his book.

Last edited:
My double in .375 Flanged Magnum is capable of producing 2 inch 4-shot groups on 100 meters scoped regularly and if I do my part really good I sometimes get close to 1 inch groups. On 200 meters I have only managed a 3 inch group once, however it seems to be capable of producing 4 inch groups routinely, shooting from sticks that is in both cases, might be able to do better from a standing rest like the one Graeme Wright suggests in his book.

Minute of Eland at 225 meters sounds good enough for me.

That is excellent! If I may offer some sage advice passed on to me by Ross Seyfried over a decade ago. If using a scope, sight in using the right barrel. Assuming it is close to MOA in accuracy, you now have a first shot as accurate as any Ruger No. 1 to the PB range of the caliber. Unlike the Ruger, you will have an instant second shot that will be within a two or three MOA. That will be totally irrelevant on everything but the tiniest game animal at 200 plus yards - an animal for which you probably aren't planning to use your double anyway.

Hello again! I went with the .450/400 as well! I'm the guy who will deliberate for the longest time on which way to go but eventually decided that the 400 just fit my needs better. I can always graduate to something bigger if I decide to just for fun haha. I've been keeping up with this thread and am thankful for all of the helpful info for when I start reloading for my rifle. Of course the last choice I'll need to make is which piece of wood we're going to use and I'm having a ton of fun with that. Here's a pic of my options I would love to hear what everyone thinks! I'm leaning more towards the reddish blank #940 View attachment 540994View attachment 540995
974 move a small amount to the left....

That is excellent! If I may offer some sage advice passed on to me by Ross Seyfried over a decade ago. If using a scope, sight in using the right barrel. Assuming it is close to MOA in accuracy, you now have a first shot as accurate as any Ruger No. 1 to the PB range of the caliber. Unlike the Ruger, you will have an instant second shot that will be within a two or three MOA. That will be totally irrelevant on everything but the tiniest game animal at 200 plus yards - an animal for which you probably aren't planning to use your double anyway.
Thanks for the advice, I have actually done exactly that, but in my case it was more dumb luck than anything else. But it is nice to hear I did it right.

974 first choice
940 2nd choice.

My Heym 470 NE throws 1 inch groups at 65 Yards. My longest shot has been around 80 yards and had no problem with accuracy

HH

All these posts about custom doubles and picking out wood is, well...distracting! I don't need another double but I might want one.

Ok, some feedback from my range session today with my Heym 89b 450/400. Using all Hornady 400grain DGX, VV N565
85gr 2015fps
87 gr 2049fps
88gr 2078fps
90gr 2130fps

The 85 grain L and R touched at 75 metres. Loads higher than that diverged.
Esoteric junkie chrono'd some factory Hornady 450/400 DGX bonded 400 grain for me and got 2000fps out of a 24" barrel. These are what my double was regulated with so it is probably reasonable that factory ammo would achieve 2015 out of a 26" barrel, hence the sweet spot I found.
The pics of your 89B are beautiful! Regarding reloading, is the VV powder the go to for these large bores? I reload my 300wby and other rifles but never worked up loads with VV. Thanks

The pics of your 89B are beautiful! Regarding reloading, is the VV powder the go to for these large bores? I reload my 300wby and other rifles but never worked up loads with VV. Thanks
Hi PTP20, I am no loading expert, but it works well for me. It is what we have, and may not be the ideal, so let’s wait for other opinions from the group.

I have owned and shot a 450-400 DR. If you want to split hairs VV is not the most preferred powder. That is 100% okay! You use what you have. Forgetting it is a DR for a moment if the powder you have produces the FPS you want within PSI pressures and you can handle the recoil produced then you just have to then make sure your DR regulates for it. I have been blessed to be able to secure any powder I want. I love IMR3031given it gives desired FPS within PSI with very low recoil

I have owned and shot a 450-400 DR. If you want to split hairs VV is not the most preferred powder. That is 100% okay! You use what you have. Forgetting it is a DR for a moment if the powder you have produces the FPS you want within PSI pressures and you can handle the recoil produced then you just have to then make sure your DR regulates for it. I have been blessed to be able to secure any powder I want. I love IMR3031given it gives desired FPS within PSI with very low recoil
Thanks RB. I will try to get some.

Thank you for the reply I'll give them both a try.

Today I had the pleasure of shooting the old 1904 Westley Richards 450/400 we acquired for Daniel. It is going on his buffalo hunt this Friday and we just wanted to check the regulation. Surprisingly it regulates well using the ideal load I worked up for my Heym 89b 450/400, nearly identical. That load was 85 grains of VV565 with Hornady DGX. With that you are at about 2000fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothyshize

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.