SaintPanzer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Dallas Safari Club; NRA Life Member; Mannlicher Collectors Association
Hunted
USA, Germany, Poland
I had QuickLoad working well, and was able to get a great target load using Scorion bullets. All was good. Then I made the mistake of upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 11 Professional. QuickLoad no longer works. I've been going back and forth with QL's technical team, but am losing hope on getting it working again. Apparently, QL does not play well with Windows 11 version 22H2, and it doesn't like non-Intel processors. I don't think I'll get it working again. This distresses me greatly, as I have a hunt coming up, and I wanted to work up a load.

I have "book data" from VihtaVouri for .30-06, using N160 powder and a Brenneke TOG 165 grain bullet loaded to a COL of 3.189 inches. VV recommends a starting load at 44.8 grains, good for about 2323 fps, and a max load of 54.5 grains, for 2657 fps. All that is well and good, and I was going to work up a .2 grains, looking for a solid node. Here's my question:

When I worked up the Scorion target load, the "upper range" of VV's recommended load was about 102% case capacity (I just used the default capacity for .30-06 brass, I did not measure my RWS brass). I stopped my testing at 99.9% capacity, and actually found the best node around 98%. Because I don't have a working QL, I don't know if I'm going to approach case capacity/compressed load, and I'm not sure how much I want to push it.

Can anyone with a working version of QL tell me what 54.5 grains of VV N160 looks like as far as case capacity, running a Brenneke TOG at 3.189 COL? Thanks!

I did the same thing you did and yes I had to buy the upgraded Windows 11 version of QL. I just got it working again this week. The QL support is just one person who is the lady that designed the software. Complete waste of time trying to get her help.

Just ran it for you assuming a 24 inch barrel. At 54.5 grains 101.1% fill rate. 2825 FPS. Pmax is 58,740. Projected with your components 58,221. Hope this helps

Length of barrel? Weight of bullet?
Thanks. Sorry I missed those details. My rifle has a 22 inch barrel, so I expect a little less MV, and perhaps some unburned powder. .30 cal TOG bullets are 165 grain.

I got all your details right except the 22 inch barrel. the less two inches given I ran QL at 24 inches is the reason I showed 2800 FPS with the 24 inch and you previously had shown 2600 which is about right for the 22 inch barrel. the results I sent you look save and efficient. good luck!!!

Just ran it for you assuming a 24 inch barrel. At 54.5 grains 101.1% fill rate. 2825 FPS. Pmax is 58,740. Projected with your components 58,221. Hope this helps
Thank you, that helps very much! With 101.1%, that may be a little compressed, I may stop at 54.0, I should have a good node before that. What I really should do is measure the cases. I need to get some gear for that. Assuming I can get to the range this weekend, I'll let you know how it works out.

I did the same thing you did and yes I had to buy the upgraded Windows 11 version of QL. I just got it working again this week. The QL support is just one person who is the lady that designed the software. Complete waste of time trying to get her help.
I have version 3.9, is there a newer one? Renée didn't mention that. Best advice given so far is to run Linux. That's not really what I was hoping to hear. I'm now in the market for new software. I bought QL to learn on the .30-06, and then was hoping to use it for old Mannlicher loads that are not published in any books... I have round dimensions, so feeding won't be an issue... but how much powder? Yeah, that's going to be fun.

I got all your details right except the 22 inch barrel. the less two inches given I ran QL at 24 inches is the reason I showed 2800 FPS with the 24 inch and you previously had shown 2600 which is about right for the 22 inch barrel. the results I sent you look save and efficient. good luck!!!
I really appreciate it! I owe you a beer!

Like so many on AH always here to help as so many help me!

I promised I'd follow up, so here goes:

I worked up at 0.3 grains at a time from the minimum load to the max, and found all loads were safe. Easy bolt lift, no flattened primers. The one "funny" thing that happened was I noticed 22 holes on my target after shooting only 20 rounds. At first, I thought I was entering into "Grassy Knoll Theory" land, but the guy next to me confessed he shot at the wrong target, twice. So that all made sense.

Then I went back to an Optimal Charge Rate test. Four rounds each, five targets, 100 metres. "Scatter Load" was at 54.1 grains, and my load of 54.4 grains ended up printing three holes touching, and one "flyer" a little less than a half inch away. I'm going with 54.4.

The one thing I did note: Labradar says I'm moving at about 2510 fps at the muzzle. I expected closer to 2600. This could be due to using a 22 inch barrel instead of a 24, or it could just be under-reported by Labradar. Either way, I have more than enough energy to handle European Boar, so I should be ok. The real "issue" with that will be how the ballistic calculator handles bullet drop. I know the BC of the bullets, and at 2510fps, the calculator says a drop of 17 inches at 300m... so the only thing to do is fire and measure and see what happens.

Today, it will be back to the range to test at 200 and 300m. If everything goes well, I'll be ready for my hunt in May.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarissaclarkson387

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]