Help. Taxidermy nightmare

Redfishga1

Reaction score
Member of
DSC, SCI, NWTF, DU
I recently was sent a picture of some taxidermy work ready to pick up. Needless to say I wasn’t thrilled with the result. This stag was magnificent and ended up scoring #11 sci and is in the books. The taxidermist immediately blamed it on “dry” tanning and that it was small and could not stretch over molds without tearing. I actually thought the French taxidermist did an excellent job with the tanning. I have several questions. Can this be salvaged and does anyone know of a great taxidermist in Georgia or South Carolina that could help. I had seen several of his stags that were done a few Argentina stags and they looked good.

IMG_5179.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
IMG_6334.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That just ain’t right…….

Give @gizmo and his Top of Texas Taxidermy a call. He is a site sponsor and should be able to help

Not your cape. Look at your animal on the ground. See the white patch under the jaw at neck. Don't see it on the mount. Do you have photos of the tanned cape?

:oops: :oops::oops::oops:

Maybe it's the camera angle, but looking at the stag on the ground and then looking at the neck on the mount, I would not have guessed them to be the same critter.

I was trying decide how to go about this. I needed some verification if I was crazy or really looks like shit. It was a long wait. I closed in my garage and underwent major construction on the basis of this animal as a center point. Now I don’t even have the beautiful euro that was sent back. I’m at a loss. I would assume the glue would make it impossible to take apart.

I have a friend that has an equal job on a whitetail, if you need a matched set. All joking aside, yeah you have every right to be mad.

I had asked a trusted taxidermist in the past about rehydrating an old full body mount and trying to salvage the hide and re-mounting. He tried to entertain me but ultimately said it was a poor idea. It wouldn’t obviously be the cape from your animal but what about calling your outfitter to see if he could help you out with another cape? Beautiful stag!

You’re going to need a replacement cape and have remounted. I can PM you 2-3 taxidermists here who would knock this out of the park. A minor inconvenience actually save for the wasted time and money. I would stop stressing as this can easily be fixed.

What kind of stag is this? It obviously isn't a #10 in the world red stag. Assuming something not super unusual, this is an easy fix with a different taxidermist and cape.

Yikes. If it did shrink, that is George Costanza serious shrinkage! Usually dry tanning is rehydrated in a saltwater solution (well, technology may have changed over the last 20 years) and then placed in a plastic bag and refrigerated. Stretch is usually good after rehydrating. That is so bad, it doesn’t even look like the same species. Hopefully Buckwild, gizmo etc will come along. I may be completely misguided.

Don't worry about rehydrating and removing this cape to fix it. Waste of money and time. First, clearly it is not from your animal so throw that mount away and start shopping for another cape. Second, fixing that one is mission impossible. It doesn't have enough hide on the cape to do anything with it. And trying to piece some more fur on this cape would almost certainly look no better. Probably worse. A good taxidermist can shop for another cape.

I'm also perplexed about this species. Seems to be an unusual color and, to be honest, it does not look like a major contender for red stag podium.

At this point, maybe just mount the antlers. I know I would not want a different cape. The curl on his right ear tip is also unacceptable . I am very sorry you are dealing with this. Bad taxidermy can ruin a great memory/hunt.

JuSt about all of my clients capes are dry tanned then rehydrated in a salt water solution for 30 minutes, drained for 20 bagged and put in the frig overnight to sweat, then frozen and thawed when needed. Get another taxidermist and another cape!

It's a bad mount no doubt, no matter the hide quality, the anatomy is off.

Having said that, capes can look great when dry tanned, and be unmountable or even fall to bits when rehydrated. I've had it happen too many times with African tanned capes.

I'd be sourcing a new cape and remounting. Unfortunately it'll be hard to find a Red that pale.

What kind of stag is this? It obviously isn't a #10 in the world red stag. Assuming something not super unusual, this is an easy fix with a different taxidermist and cape.uropean white red stag
PM someone if you dont mind
You’re going to need a replacement cape and have remounted. I can PM you 2-3 taxidermists here who would knock this out of the park. A minor inconvenience actually save for the wasted time and money. I would stop stressing as this can easily be fixed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
animalwised