Help on 500 Jeffery Load

ktk120

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have some 500gr and some 535gr I am going to be loading for my Ruger No1 rebore to 500J. Looking to start on the very light side and work up. I have alot of a pull down powder that is similar to CFE223. This seems in the ballpark range of the faster 4895 and slower4350 loads I see published. I'm thinking of starting around 95-98gr and working up. Anyone have any thoughts on this or advice? Or anyone with quickload data?

I have 500J data on 535's with Somchem, H4895, H4350, RL-15, RL-17, IMR 4895, Varget and VV-N150. However, nothing is below 2200 fps. QL may offer slower alternatives.

I found 2206H (4895) gave less felt recoil in the Sako, compared to 2209 (4350).

I settled on 100gns of 2206H (4895) - it was the most accurate. Havn't chrono'd it yet.

535gn Bertram projectiles.

Normal disclaimer about exercising caution and good judgement if using load data from some random guy online (y)

I've loaded and shot the 500 J a lot, and I must say shooting a Ruger #1 in this caliber is very ambitious, recoil will be extraordinary. I'd follow the woodleigh reloading manual for loads, its good stuff, there are other sources as well like load data .com. I have experimented with many powders with good results, many not listed but I wouldn't pass that to anyone. Most importantly make sure you are using kynoch filler and keeping the powder charge squared up in the case for proper ignition

I forgot this pull down is a ball powder. Thats going to leave too much room probably even for a filler. I'm going to have to just stick to an extruded 4895 or 4350 both of which i have.

Any chance someone can send me a pic of the Woodleigh manual?

Don't rule out IMR 3031, or 4320 if you have some around.

You can do the cordite conversion with 3031 and use kynoch filler just like in a double. Should yeild good results, I've done it with various 375's and 470's

I would not experiment too much with this cartridge.

Powders with a medium to slower burning rate, such as IMR 4350, are ideal, especially for the 535gr bullets. I load this cartridge for years with 535gr FMJ bullets from Woodleigh and the powder R904 from Rottweil, a powder comparable to the Norma 204. I load at the maximum upper limit which does a good job with a muzzle velocity of about 2400fps, but unfortunately causes a lot of recoil.

I use H4895 with 570g bullets. I tried reduced loads with this powder and I had a hang fire at the range. Very dangerous. I now use only loads a few grains below max. If you're looking for lower velocities go with a powder like Accurate 5744 that's designed for reduced loads and call them. I have used Accurate 5744 with cast 535g bullets at velocities around 1600 fps with good results.

Thanks everyone. I think to start with I am going to use just below book published start load of 4350. Thats a large extruded and pretty much fills the case up. I also will see what 4895 does. I am not really looking to reduce loads just dont need or want full tilt max loads for texas hogs

Last edited:
20240131_140945.jpg
I have some 500gr and some 535gr I am going to be loading for my Ruger No1 rebore to 500J. Looking to start on the very light side and work up. I have alot of a pull down powder that is similar to CFE223. This seems in the ballpark range of the faster 4895 and slower4350 loads I see published. I'm thinking of starting around 95-98gr and working up. Anyone have any thoughts on this or advice? Or anyone with quickload data?
20240131_140908.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLKKendra

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with