Help me make my list

Cross black wildebeest off, they are more prevalent in the Free State. Having been to Limpopo, what "screams" that area:

Warthog - They are quite literally, all over the place and you are doing a service to the farmers/landowners. Just know importing the trophy back comes with some extra "headache."

Klips/Duikers/Steens - They are also all over. Didn't shoot one but I saw a ton.

Giraffe - Same. And they can actually have an overabundance of them there. You may have opportunities to get culls. See the note on warthog about importing.

What REALLY screams Limpopo and I don't see on your list?

Blue wildebeest - Fantastic hunt. One of my favorite animals I took in Africa. Lots of really nice blues wandering around.

Kudu - Enough said. Big, big kudu there. It's a challenging and good habitat for them in the thick scrub.

Cross black wildebeest off, they are more prevalent in the Free State. Having been to Limpopo, what "screams" that area:

Warthog - They are quite literally, all over the place and you are doing a service to the farmers/landowners. Just know importing the trophy back comes with some extra "headache."

Klips/Duikers/Steens - They are also all over. Didn't shoot one but I saw a ton.

Giraffe - Same. And they can actually have an overabundance of them there. You may have opportunities to get culls. See the note on warthog about importing.

What REALLY screams Limpopo and I don't see on your list?

Blue wildebeest - Fantastic hunt. One of my favorite animals I took in Africa. Lots of really nice blues wandering around.

Kudu - Enough said. Big, big kudu there. It's a challenging and good habitat for them in the thick scrub.
Good info thank you. As to the blue wildebeest I took care of that one on my first trip.
20240508_101720.jpg

Will be heading back to South Africa's Limpopo province next summer and am trying to decide on what would be best to focus on. This will only be my second trip I learned a lot on my first trip but am still far from knowledgeable on anything to do with african hunting. One of the things I learned is that certain animals are located more heavily or are of a better quality depending upon regions. I'd like to focus on killing large mature specimens of each animal on my list. With that in mind after seeing the area this year and talking with my PH I've decided to focus on a kudu a my main goal and then a bushbuck. I'd like to add 2-4 more animal's to the list. Here's a list of animals I'd like to kill which screams Limpopo to you?
Giraffe
Klipspringer
Red hartebeest
Common reedbuck
Eland
Gemsbok
Tssebee
Black wildebeest
Springbok
Warthog
Steenbuck
Grey Duiker
Hi WildWill,

You could consider the following to add to your Limpopo hunt: Giraffe, Red Hartebeest, Eland, Springbok, Gemsbok. Some pictures for you:

1717170896891.png
1717171051829.png

1717170847835.png
1717170867255.png

1717170825399.png

Would you consider a Nyala or a as well or did you take one already?
1717170956950.png

Happy hunting - Daniel

Hi WildWill,

You could consider the following to add to your Limpopo hunt: Giraffe, Red Hartebeest, Eland, Springbok, Gemsbok. Some pictures for you:

View attachment 609861View attachment 609863
View attachment 609859View attachment 609860
View attachment 609857

Would you consider a Nyala or a as well or did you take one already?
View attachment 609862

Happy hunting - Daniel
Yes sir got a nyala last trip. A eland and gemsbok are very high on my list but am thinking I'll save them for a different area like the east cape or somewhere in the Kalahari same with the springbok and hartebeest. The giraffe on the other hand seems like a good fit for the Limpopo.

I'm not sure why sable I see on a "game farm" are significantly less wary than the other animals I'm hunting there. But it seems I'm not the only one on this forum noticing this. Kudu, impala, springbuck, and zebra on the same property are skittish as can be but sable are not. Far from it. They are a spectacular mounted trophy but the one I shot and those I have seen were quite approachable. For anyone who wants a spectacular trophy that is a challenging hunt, kudu is tops. Hands down.
Because it’s the most expensive antelope on that ranch and they are hunted far far less.

But everyone shoots a impala in SA - hence maybe them being more spooked

Because it’s the most expensive antelope on that ranch and they are hunted far far less.

Everyone shoots a blesbuck but no one thinks they're terribly wary.

More because many are the product of breeding operations and stocked on farms or not too distant from those that were. The breeding farms are easy to see driving in Limpopo. The only market for the bulls is hunting. I also don’t think they are naturally as wary as other animals. A sable in Zimbabwe is significantly different than the average sable in South Africa, but not as wary as an impala, but an impala is the same everywhere I’ve hunted them.

More because many are the product of breeding operations and stocked on farms or not too distant from those that were. The breeding farms are easy to see driving in Limpopo. The only market for the bulls is hunting. I also don’t think they are naturally as wary as other animals. A sable in Zimbabwe is significantly different than the average sable in South Africa, but not as wary as an impala, but an impala is the same everywhere I’ve hunted them.
So you're saying sable aren't great table fare? I was advised that is the case with Barbary sheep. I shot both my sheep and red lechwe up north. When we got back to our Eastern Cape lodge a couple days later, my PH threw a lechwe backstrap on the grill that night. "What about the sheep?" Well, that got a few laughs. He claims the blood trailing dog won't even eat Barbary sheep. Gotta say, that lechwe backstrap was something short of delicious ... far short.

So you're saying sable aren't great table fare? I was advised that is the case with Barbary sheep. I shot both my sheep and red lechwe up north. When we got back to our Eastern Cape lodge a couple days later, my PH threw a lechwe backstrap on the grill that night. "What about the sheep?" Well, that got a few laughs. He claims the blood trailing dog won't even eat Barbary sheep. Gotta say, that lechwe backstrap was something short of delicious ... far short.
Sable are very good eating, but they are game ranched for the trophy. Meat is a by product. Idk about lechwe in South Africa but lechwe from native environment are extremely good eating as well.

Sable are excellent on the table...one of my favorites. Maybe #2 to eland...or #3 to zebra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoover

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!