Help me compile a list of all the must-read books on African Hunting

"Rifles for Africa: practical advice on rifles and ammunition for an African safari", Gregor Woods, 2002, Safari Press.
THIS is an excellent book with a lot practical information. Woods takes John Taylors KO values and develops what is a logical next step by calculating the cross-section area of the bullet, instead of just the diameter.

He calls this "Relative Damage Potential" RDP and includes a chart of several common African Big Game cartridges. Studying the chart, it makes a bit more sense in cartridge rankings.

He provides the formula as well.

Woods makes clear that these are just calculated factors, and that not a direct indicator of how well a bullet kills.
It's bullet placement, bullet type that kills game.

Which others are worth adding to the list?
African Experience, Craig Boddington
Dangerous game rifles, Terry Wieland
Safari rifles II, Craig Boddingon.

Each generation of safari hunters had their author.
It seams that most prolific author of our age is Boddington.
You may check the rest of his books depending of your hunting interests.
Elephant!
Buffalo!
Buffalo II!

From Mt. Kenya To The Cape—Ten Years Of African Hunting
From cape to Casserine
Where lions roar
Tracks across africa

The last 4 books are his experiences in Africa, each book covers ten years of hunting.
This will give you the best possible atlas of African hunting, countries and species, some of which have never been mentioned on this forum

"There's Something about Buffalo" by Kevin Thomas

Great modern book about Buffalo hunting by a guy that grew up in Rhodesia working to prevent poaching, then was a soldier in the war, then became a long time PH

I like all of the aforementioned. John Sharp’s “Facing down Fear” was a pleasant surprise. Highly recommend for a modern look at safari life
Great Book. Easy to read too because of the short chapters. Can pick it up...read a chapter or two quick then set it down and repeat.

"Rifles for Africa: practical advice on rifles and ammunition for an African safari", Gregor Woods, 2002, Safari Press.
20230821_190119.jpg
20230821_185849.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see good book recommendations from all of you, thanks.

Hans-Otto Meissner is also one of my favorites, he was a great writer!
Born in 1909, he was the youngest German Consul in Milan and Tokyo in the 1930s third Reich. After the war Meissner became a writer and hunted all over the world. He shot a huge brown bear in Alaska, man-eating tiger in Sumatra and several elephants along the Mbomou River in Central Africa, hunted in Indo-China, Canada, Namibia and Persia as well.
He was heavily criticized in the 1950s because he shot a gorilla in Gabon, which he claimed was a rogue silverback. Turned out, that he accidentely shot a female...

"One-Man Safari" is his only book in english, i believe. The title is a little bit exaggerated, because his wife was with him most of the time. And i know that - at least for a while - he was guided by the french PH Henri Quintard. But anyway, a great book.

Meissner wrote 70 books or so in german (on diverse topics like biographies of famous explorers, big game hunting, the Third Reich, good manners, children books, etc.)

meissner_allein.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see good book recommendations from all of you, thanks.

Hans-Otto Meissner is also one of my favorites, he was a great writer!
Born in 1909, he was the youngest German Consul in Milan and Tokyo in the 1930s third Reich. After the war Meissner became a writer and hunted all over the world. He shot a huge brown bear in Alaska, man-eating tiger in Sumatra and several elephants along the Mbomou River in Central Africa, hunted in Indo-China, Canada, Namibia and Persia as well.
He was heavily criticized in the 1950s because he shot a gorilla in Gabon, which he claimed was a rogue silverback. Turned out, that he accidentely shot a female...

"One-Man Safari" is his only book in english, i believe. The title is a little bit exaggerated, because his wife was with him most of the time. And i know that - at least for a while - he was guided by the french PH Henri Quintard. But anyway, a great book.

Meissner wrote 70 books or so in german (on diverse topics like biographies of famous explorers, big game hunting, the Third Reich, good manners, children books, etc.)
Found his book on Archives.org so good to read that one . And also interesting how one set up a safari more or less on one own, and what / how he packed .

Anything Bell, Selous, Capstick and Hemingway. Often left out of Capstick list is Sands of Silence, one of my favorites. Add Heat Thirst and Ivory by Frederick Everett- excellent. Most all the paint by the numbers books by modern authors… ehh.

"There's Something about Buffalo" by Kevin Thomas

Great modern book about Buffalo hunting by a guy that grew up in Rhodesia working to prevent poaching, then was a soldier in the war, then became a long time PH
Yes without reservation, Kevin Thomas is a terrific writer and all his books are worth your time.

I will also recommend "Adrift on the Veldt" by Denys Reitz. Not a hunting book but a biography about an amazing life in South Africa and beyond.

Currently reading “About the spirit of the African wilderness” by Kai-Uwe Denker. It is a very good and in depth book on bull elephant hunting

Denker’s “Along the Hunter’s Path” is likely the most beautifully written book I have read on the subject of hunting in Africa. If you need to better understand what drew yourself to this sport or feel like you deviated from the true path somewhere along the way , read it . The man is a seeker. Grateful that I stumbled across it .

Currently reading “About the spirit of the African wilderness” by Kai-Uwe Denker. It is a very good and in depth book on bull elephant hunting

Currently reading the same book. The bookstore in Swakopmund didn’t have a copy on hand and they had to get Kai Uwe Denker to send them one .

Currently reading the same book. The bookstore in Swakopmund didn’t have a copy on hand and they had to get Kai Uwe Denker to send them one .

Very nice, I assume he signed it for you. Are you on holiday in Namibia now from Canada Frederik?

That’s a bummer. I’m very well thanks, and yes, still crazy enough to call Zululand home.

The Caprivi, Bwabwata, camp Buffalo and the Kwando and Kavango are special places. I can’t wait to read your report on the hunt. What rifle are you taking with for the job?

Very nice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HolleyShep

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's