Help me choose an airline

I've flown that United flight more times that I care to remember over the last 20 years, mostly for work. A couple times with a rifle for a safari though. Never had a problem with it. Like it as it's shorter and I have more points on United than Delta.

Lots of good feedback already.

I did that Newark - Joburg route last June on United, w guns. Outbound no issues. On the morning of departure day in Joburg on the return, flight was cancelled with no rebooking by United, no plan at all to get us out of there. Travel agent had to book on us on Lufthansa through Frankfurt to get back home. No help from United at all and I am Premier 1K status which didnt mean jack.

Personally, economy sucks on all of them and if price is same, I would look at any gun concerns (e.g. suppressors through Newark) first, and then arrival time in Joburg and layover time to make your decision. I also like to get out of US first flight as flights within the US seem to cancel more often than the flights to Doha, Frankfurt, etc... Just my take on it. Cheers
How did you get your guns through Frankfurt without a gun permit?

I have booked my first two airline trips to Africa by myself. However, the last five trips I’ve used Jennifer at Travel Express. She has routed me thru Ethiopia to Namibia on Ethiopian Airlines and handled a major change on the way home after a leopard hunt. She has routed me through New Jersey on United ans Covid was lifting annd also Delta thru Atlanta. The charge is minimal compared to problems that I can’t fix especially when traveling with rifles. My preference is traveling thru ATL for the reasons above—way more gun friendly and shortest travel time.

Traveling from Chicago to Johannesburg.
Economy seats

I'm not including Turkish or Ethiopian because of the rifle.
I can understand avoiding Turkish airlines. They charge a hefty fee for carrying firearms. Ethiopian however allow you 2 bags FOC. There’s no charge for firearms.
ok, there’s minor grief in the bowels of baggage handling. As long as you have all your ducks in a row you are golden. I have flown with Ethiopian several times and enjoyed the experience with them. Last time, I admit, the food was boring and repetitive.

I dont know. The situation was that we (my wife, son and I) were in Joburg getting ready to leave that day for the airport for the United flight in the evening, business class. Then, I got an email from United saying the flight was cancelled (the daily flight to Newark). I got on the phone with Travel with Guns and they told me to give them some time to figure it out. Long story short, they said United was not running that daily flight to Newark the next day, and it would probably be "a few days" or so before it would fly again, and if we wanted to stay business class it would likely be more like 10 days, but that was a guess (my wife was in tears at this point, my first thought was to head back to the bush to hunt some more).

Then TWG informed me we could still fly out that same night but it would be on Lufthansa to FRA, then FRA to Houston, in economy class. We chose that option. Oh, and United "should" refund the difference from business to economy. I thought, to myself, gee, they damn well better.

I checked the rifles in Joburg and did not see them again until Houston. No permit. How that worked, I guess I dont really know but that is what happened. By the way, I also think Lufthansa has a notice period (48 hours I remember seeing) they are supposed to be informed of carrying firearms before you intend to travel with them. That obviously did not happen either. Maybe since I was on Lufthansa on both flights that helped, but I dont know that for sure. Hope this helps. Cheers

I can understand avoiding Turkish airlines. They charge a hefty fee for carrying firearms. Ethiopian however allow you 2 bags FOC. There’s no charge for firearms.
ok, there’s minor grief in the bowels of baggage handling. As long as you have all your ducks in a row you are golden. I have flown with Ethiopian several times and enjoyed the experience with them. Last time, I admit, the food was boring and repetitive.
I was originally thinking Ethiopian as it is usually the least expensive option, but the rifle is making me hesitate. I've heard that it's a hassle getting it checked during the layover.

I’ve flown all that you listed internationally……Delta hand down IMHO

Lufthansa and United are part of Star Alliance. He checked guns in with Lufthannsa at Joberg and they are transferred to United at Frankfurt without issue. I do the same but transfer to Air Canada at Frankfurt, also a member airline. Works okay unless flight is cancelled in Frankfurt and you're transferred to another non-member airline or held overnight. Then you would have problems without the police form. Guns have to be checked in again.

Lufthansa and United are part of Star Alliance. He checked guns in with Lufthannsa at Joberg and they are transferred to United at Frankfurt without issue. I do the same but transfer to Air Canada at Frankfurt, also a member airline. Works okay unless flight is cancelled in Frankfurt and you're transferred to another non-member airline or held overnight. Then you would have problems without the police form. Guns have to be checked in again.
I think you are correct but in our case that was two Lufthansa flights, no United planes involved. Lufthansa and United both run flights from FRA to Houston. They are codeshare, part of Star Alliance but they both have their own planes running this route. I take both airlines regularly for work to FRA. I prefer United but take both.

When it comes to firearms being a partner airline may or may not mean something. For firearms it comes to individual agreements between airlines. Partner airlines in the same alliance will almost always transfer your bags to the next airline. Firearms are airline and sometimes airport dependent. I’ve had to recheck firearms on different airlines when bags were transferred straight through.

I was originally thinking Ethiopian as it is usually the least expensive option, but the rifle is making me hesitate. I've heard that it's a hassle getting it checked during the layover.
How much is the price difference? I wouldn’t have a problem flying Ethiopian again, but did find the gun checking procedure stressful particularly on the return with a very crowded airport.

Ethiopian Airlines is Star Alliance member. Book your start with another member (e.g. United or Lufthansa) and your guns  should go through onto Ethiopian Aiines without rechecking (barring cancelation etc). That has been my experience with other Star Alliace members. However, I'm hearing some airports may be an exception for even member airlines. I have been told (not sure if true) any guns arriving at Joberg airport, whether end destination or layover, must be checked in with police with proper forms completed.

Ethiopian Airlines is Star Alliance member. Book your start with another member (e.g. United or Lufthansa) and your guns  should go through onto Ethiopian Aiines without rechecking (barring cancelation etc). That has been my experience with other Star Alliace members. However, I'm hearing some airports may be an exception for even member airlines. I have been told (not sure if true) any guns arriving at Joberg airport, whether end destination or layover, must be checked in with police with proper forms completed.
Ethiopian will accept your firearms in US from partner airline like United, but when you land in Ethiopia, regardless where you are going, you will need to be taken to baggage handling area with a Ethiopian representative to open your gun case and confirm your rifle against your 4457 (or gun license), then you close the gun case and get taken back into airport. You are not officially rechecking your firearm, but that is their procedure. It doesn’t matter they are in star alliance. It’s their policy and how they do things.

Ethiopian will accept your firearms in US from partner airline like United, but when you land in Ethiopia, regardless where you are going, you will need to be taken to baggage handling area with a Ethiopian representative to open your gun case and confirm your rifle against your 4457 (or gun license), then you close the gun case and get taken back into airport. You are not officially rechecking your firearm, but that is their procedure. It doesn’t matter they are in star alliance. It’s their policy and how they do things.
Good to know. One needs to ensure sufficient time to catch connecting flights in Ethiopia. Same in South Africa. I booked connecting flight to Port Elizabeth for hour and ten minutes layover. PHASA gal said that won't work. At LEAST two hours is needed to get through police and baggage checked. Good thing I listened to her. I changed to a later flight with five hour layover. My flight from Frankfurt was rerouted around Niger which was having some unexpected civil unrest. We landed in Joberg two hours late.

Last edited:
Have flown both United out of Newark and Delta out of Atlanta w/ rifles multiple times. Atlanta is the easiest on the return. No rifle problems. Newark on the return is ok too but you might have to walk a little further to get your guns cleared and rechecked.

When it comes to firearms being a partner airline may or may not mean something. For firearms it comes to individual agreements between airlines. Partner airlines in the same alliance will almost always transfer your bags to the next airline. Firearms are airline and sometimes airport dependent. I’ve had to recheck firearms on different airlines when bags were transferred straight through.
in my experience you’re 100% correct. Bags typically go through but partner airlines sometimes require picking up and rechecking the firearms.

If flying through London one needs to ensure they depart and arrive on an actual BA flight not a code share and there’s no switching partway through. If you switch metal, you’re going to need to recheck your firearms which can be a pain because you only have a transit permit. Also seen it going to Doha.

if you have to pick up your firearm and recheck it and you have a suppressor in the case you could be arrested if you have to recheck in a state like Calif or New Jersey or New York

Myself and 3 friends just made the round trip to JNB on United through Newark.

We flew Business Class and had no issues. The tickets were half the price of Delta.

We kept our suppressors in our checked bag and not our rifle case to eliminate any issues with New Jersey laws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lessutras

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!