Help me choose an airline

It's a different route to South Africa. The advantage of going through Europe is landing in Joberg early enough to go on to your destination without having to spend the night in the city. An option to consider. Nonsense? Okay, if you say so.
@btheis13 where’s your response he responded to/quoted about more of his nonsense? I wanted to like it!

Adding 10 hours travel time so you can land the next morning instead of landing the night before and sleeping in a bed before flying out the next morning makes no sense to me unless significantly cheaper.
He did say economy was important.

One suggestion many have made is to get on free transit during layover and tour the opera house district in downtown Frankfurt. I keep saying I'll give it a shot but still haven't. Zurich is a very pretty city. Impressive how they have managed to control urban sprawl. Flying into Joberg and looking down ... well ... I am much less impressed. The idea of spending the night there doesn't appeal to me. At all. Frankfurt and Zurich airports are top notch.

Each airline and itinerary pose different drawbacks and benefits.

Qatar air is superior to Delta and United. While on the plane Qatar is better. Loading and unloading from the plane in Doha is a relatively short time period but it’s a terrible system for people. Great for maximizing air traffic. Getting more people herded through in 24 hours.

But the Doha airport bussing system is not my favorite. It’s a zoo waiting for one of the dozens of busses it takes to fill a plane. Then it’s every man for himself on the tarmac again. No loading by zone or organized fashion at all.

Also unless you book the lounge or airport hotel the long layovers can be tough. Try to avoid Doha from 6:00-10:00AM and 10:00PM through 2:00 AM

Here is what the Doha tarmac feels like, I’m trying to be funny. I’m joking of course

Well, half joking :cool:
IMG_4869.jpeg

He did say economy was important.

One suggestion many have made is to get on free transit during layover and tour the opera house district in downtown Frankfurt. I keep saying I'll give it a shot but still haven't. Zurich is a very pretty city. Impressive how they have managed to control urban sprawl. Flying into Joberg and looking down ... well ... I am much less impressed. The idea of spending the night there doesn't appeal to me. At all. Frankfurt and Zurich airports are top notch.
WTF, how can I block this guy from commenting on my posts?

Reading with interest because we are leaving for Jberg next year. Should have made this a poll so people could vote and see results. Delta through ATL seems to be the front runner.

Reading with interest because we are leaving for Jberg next year. Should have made this a poll so people could vote and see results. Delta through ATL seems to be the front runner.
I didn't know how to do that or I would have. Our trip isn't until May either, I've just started watching fares.

The travel agencies that have been mentioned want $200 per person for their services. x4 travelers and this gets pricey for something that can easily be done online.

Traveling from Chicago to Johannesburg.
Economy seats
TRAVELING WITH A RIFLE
3 options:
A: United through Newark, total travel time 18 hours
B: Delta through Atlanta, total travel time 20.5 hours
C: Qatar though Doha, total travel time 31 hours (9 hour layover)

LET'S SAY ALL TICKETS ARE THE SAME PRICE.

I'm not including Turkish or Ethiopian because of the rifle.
Bethis I'm in Zambia right now as I type this to you. Here eating lunch, just shot a nice croc yesterday & a big baboon this morning for leopard bait. This is my 4th trip to Africa. 2 plains game hunts this is my second DG hunt. Trust me, fly with Delta. I know United has the big hub there in Chicago. But United isn't gun friendly in my book. I fly across the US for work. I use to fly several airlines. One of the ones I try to stay away from is United domestically especially in the North East. Their seats are just small & I've just experienced delays, cancelled flights ect ect. I hunt in Wisconsin every year on a buddy's farm. I fly American through Midway. I just try to avoid United at O'Hare. I've heard nothing but horror stories about the way they treat fliers with firearms & EWR is just a jammed crowded airport. New Jersey is probably the most unfriendly gun state in the US. Heard of people having their guns left there possibly on purpose. Had a friend arrested there for having an unloaded legally registered pistol to fall out of his glove box during a routine traffic stop. Took him 2 days to get a bond & he had no prior criminal record.

2021 Delta suspended direct service to JNB because of covid. I left Atlanta flew to the Nertherlands had a lay over. It seemed like it took forever to get to JNB. My wife & I flew over June 14th. It was a smooth 15 hour flight no problems were heading back July 2nd 16 hours & some change.

Just have your paperwork in place. You can always hire a service to meet you there & have a room set up for your overnight stay & they'll help you with your firearm(s). Piece of cake.

If you do a poll, add D. None of the above.
e-lol.gif

Many good comments from our community - although we advise extreme caution with short layovers. Based on the original question/ post - B is our choice. But please don't choose your airfare based on travel time alone.

Purchasing tickets through an agency is more than just upfront booking. It's support for changes, cancellations, travel advice based on our years of experience, weapons info, and more through the time you get home. But if you can do it on your own, more power to you!

Purchasing tickets through an agency is more than just upfront booking. It's support for changes, cancellations, travel advice based on our years of experience, weapons info, and more through the time you get home. But if you can do it on your own, more power to you!

This right here is one reason that I will always use a agent when traveling out of the US.

On my flights several years ago Jennifer caught a schedule change on our return flights. If I had been doing the flights myself I might not of seen it. As it was we got a later flight out of Dulles than what our original one took off. As it was we were just leaving customs as our originally scheduled flight was taking off, we would of then been on our own trying to get a flight from Dulles into Denver. The flight that we did take was packed like sardines and they actually asked for volunteers to give up their seats.

Thanks for trusting in us @JimP !! We appreciate it.

Delta has my vote also.

I have used United and Delta and never had an issue and Jennifer handled both trips. in the last couple days we have emailed back and forth about going thru Newark and as of now she does not recommend going the Newark route if you are traveling with suppressors, as you will be taking possession of you rifle and suppressor in New Jersey. so next trip will be with Delta and hopefully Qatar business

Lots of good feedback already.

I did that Newark - Joburg route last June on United, w guns. Outbound no issues. On the morning of departure day in Joburg on the return, flight was cancelled with no rebooking by United, no plan at all to get us out of there. Travel agent had to book on us on Lufthansa through Frankfurt to get back home. No help from United at all and I am Premier 1K status which didnt mean jack.

Personally, economy sucks on all of them and if price is same, I would look at any gun concerns (e.g. suppressors through Newark) first, and then arrival time in Joburg and layover time to make your decision. I also like to get out of US first flight as flights within the US seem to cancel more often than the flights to Doha, Frankfurt, etc... Just my take on it. Cheers

Traveling from Chicago to Johannesburg.
Economy seats
TRAVELING WITH A RIFLE
3 options:
A: United through Newark, total travel time 18 hours
B: Delta through Atlanta, total travel time 20.5 hours
C: Qatar though Doha, total travel time 31 hours (9 hour layover)

LET'S SAY ALL TICKETS ARE THE SAME PRICE.

I'm not including Turkish or Ethiopian because of the rifle.
I’ve pretty much done them all. Qatar and others are the best but I no longer want to spend 31 hours getting to Africa and no longer will. For me out of Atlanta it is 15 hours. Shorter is better to me given time spent in Africa is precious…travel time to there is not. Just me

I didn't know how to do that or I would have. Our trip isn't until May either, I've just started watching fares.

The travel agencies that have been mentioned want $200 per person for their services. x4 travelers and this gets pricey for something that can easily be done online.

I’ve flown to Africa with several different airlines. I’ve used Travel Express and Not Used a Travel Agent. I’ve used points and not used points, but everything has been with a firearm. Below are how I’ve traveled. I’ve never paid for Business or First Class but have used System Wide Upgrades and used miles for those classes of fare.

British Airways
Delta
Qatar
Emirates

Below is how I’d rank my choices for an economy or premium economy ticket and BA is at the top because they’re friendliest to you if you have status, regardless of your class of fare. Qatar could care less. If you’re buying a Q-Suite or using miles for one they move to the top and exceed BA’s business class. I’ve never flown Delta One to Africa so I can’t compare. I’ve never flown United to Africa and likely never will since I avoid United like the plague, and fly them maybe 2-3x a year (domestically) when there’s a Direct Flight Option out of Houston and it’s grossly cheaper than the American and Delta options out of my local airport, DAL, DFW, IAH, or HOU.

Having EP status with American and Gold/Platinum (year dependent) with Delta definitely helps but also influences my choices. Taking that out of the equation, Delta is my choice from your options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velva37941

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.