AH senior member
Reaction score
Traveling from Chicago to Johannesburg.
Economy seats
TRAVELING WITH A RIFLE
3 options:
A: United through Newark, total travel time 18 hours
B: Delta through Atlanta, total travel time 20.5 hours
C: Qatar though Doha, total travel time 31 hours (9 hour layover)

LET'S SAY ALL TICKETS ARE THE SAME PRICE.

I'm not including Turkish or Ethiopian because of the rifle.

Personally I would not fly Qatar in economy. I did it once and never again just because of the length and extra connection.

If I go back it will be the cheapest flight that I can get and right now it looks like United.

But I would contact Jennifer at Travel Express and have her take care of it.

All the same price, I’d fly Delta through Atlanta, but I wouldn’t have a problem flying on any of them. United through Newark is fine, but it’s my least favorite airport in US after Chicago. I’m flying Qatar to Zimbabwe this year. I booked airport hotel for layover on way there and sleep pod for layover on way back.

United is a hard no based on problems they have had in recent years on the ground on the joberg side.

Delta is always my go to because I live in Georgia. There are things that could be better, but honestly I’ve never had a major issue.

I’ve flown all 3 to Africa. Qatar is the most luxurious and the service is superior to US carriers. Not that long ago, they were way cheaper. That’s no longer the case. The long layover in DOH is not optimal. I would not recommend them.

Delta is a good option. Service is OK.

I had a good experience with United my last trip in 2023. My impression is that they’re OK if everything goes as planned. If there are any hiccups their service is terrible. That tends to be the consensus of travelers hereabouts.

Traveling from Chicago to Johannesburg.
Economy seats
TRAVELING WITH A RIFLE
3 options:
A: United through Newark, total travel time 18 hours
B: Delta through Atlanta, total travel time 20.5 hours
C: Qatar though Doha, total travel time 31 hours (9 hour layover)

LET'S SAY ALL TICKETS ARE THE SAME PRICE.

I'm not including Turkish or Ethiopian because of the rifle.
I have done BA couple times and the cost was much better at the time, guns no problem

I fly Air Canada from Ontario to Frankfurt or Zurich for lengthy layover and then via either Swiss Air or Lufthansa to Joberg. Once I flew South African Airlines back to Europe and it was a horrible flight. Terribly cramped.
Because all those airlines were members of Star Alliance, I only had to check the guns at beginning of each trip, either here or returning from Joberg. Never saw them till I arrived at final destination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delta thru Atlanta hands down. We are talking the South here. They get and understand hunting and firearms. I've never had any issues or hassles with anyone coming or going, quite the contrary, everyone is courteous and helpful. They get and understand hunting and firearms.

I have flown Newark to joburg. I didn’t have any problems. With United that is. Joburg was a whole different story.

Yes Delta would be my choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyls85

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.