Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA
Gents, what I have is a older Savage long action, a timney trigger, and a nice walnut stock built to my LOP. What I don’t have is a barrel for this semi-custom rifle. I’m looking to take suggestions for what caliber my “new” rifle should be chambered in. It currently has a .470” bolt face on it, but that can be swapped with little difficulty.

For reference, I already have a .223 and a .270 in my safe and I have access to a .30-06 whenever I need it. So folks, tell me what I need.

I did a 338-06 on a Savage 110 action, I wonder if a 35Whelen is doable

Given that you have a 223, 270 & 30-06 the next step would be for a larger bore of 338 or 375. Either magnum would be suitable or if you want to stay with the standard bolt face, as noted, the 338/06 regular or Ackley Improved would be a dandy.

If you’re action is a long action with a .470 bolt face any of the 30-06 wildcats would work. 338/06 or 375 whelen AI are fun options. Or even the good old 35 whelen if you don’t reload or don’t want to mess with necking and fireforming. There are a lot of options without having to open the bolt face up.

What will it be used for? Not a lot of heavy game in North Carolina. I guess there are some very large black bear. Will this go to Africa? Will it go out west for elk? Maybe Alaska for a brownie?
Your 223 and 270 pretty much cover NC.

What will it be used for? Not a lot of heavy game in North Carolina. I guess there are some very large black bear. Will this go to Africa? Will it go out west for elk? Maybe Alaska for a brownie?

Yep, what's the mission? There's a big hole in between the .22s and .270. How about a 6 or 6.5 mm of some stripe. Maybe a 25-06, .284 Winchester?

The safe bet would be to build it for NC game, just because of how often it will be used here as opposed to somewhere else.

if you dont want to go too big in caliber - 6.5x68 or 8x68
a further small step up - 9,3x62
+1

These would make for very interesting alternatives! Personally, I would pick the 6.5 if you wanted a flatter trajectory, or the 8mm if you needed it for a big bear.

The safe bet would be to build it for NC game, just because of how often it will be used here as opposed to somewhere else.
Deer and bear, long action I'd suggest a 6.5 Swede or a 6.5-284; .284W, 280R, 280RAI if you plan on shooting mid range. May not make a difference but I wouldn't convert to a magnum with a small shank action.

OK for North Carolina, but keeping a possible dark timber elk hunt, brown bear possibility, and/or Africa bushveld game in mind I vote for the 9.3x62. It would handle even your biggest NC black bears and hogs well.
So all you’d need is a good barrel. I’d probably get a stainless steel mid-weight barrel (having been to Alaska on the coast a few times) top quality already polished bore of 22” and threaded. Ready for 286 gr conventional cup and core bullets. A good quality 1-6x, or 2-7x with an illuminated dot (they show up really well in fog and on dark bears). Quick release mounts with a backup scope. Wide synthetic sling that can be carried barrel up or down. Synthetic stock with a second sling swivel for a quality bipod. Oh yes cerakote all metal parts.
Any more questions?;)
JM old guy O
You’ve got yourself a fun project what ever you decide to do!

Who's to say you don't need a cartridge larger than a 270 in North Carolina. For several years I have defended my adopted home state of Washington with rifles in 375 H&H, 375 RUM, 404 Jeffery and 458 Win Mag. During that time there has not been one successful attack on any town by a rampaging herd of elephants, cape buffalo or rhinoceros. But had I not been prepared it's hard telling what could have happened. To be on the safe side in North Carolina I'd consider a larger cartridge.

@Ray B What about the squirrels? I have few of these evil backyard rodents that I'd like to introduce to a .500 Nitro Express.

I'm not sure if a Savage bolt will hold belted brass but if it does How about a 300HH ?

Well. As mentioned above - what is the intended use?

You already have 2 rifles that would cover most of your medium/big game needs. And the 270 and 30-06 are fairly similar in how they do that, with the exception that the 06 can utilize fairly heavy projectiles at 220+ grains. And with a 223 as well, you're good for anything from fox to moose.

So it all boils down to what you cannot do with your current setup. A 30-06 will cover a lot of situations, though, given the right load.

Partridge and quail - get a .22lr or some such.
Bear or boar on driven hunts or similar short range scenarios - get the 9.3x62 or 35 whelen.
Even bigger stuff, short range; maybe the 375 ruger, or 416 Taylor?

The sad (?) thing is that if you have a 30-06... well you have to think a bit to come up with situations where it is too big/small. :)

I’ve more than got the .22lr covered, somehow I’ve got more of those than I do underwear...

We recently acquired the hunting rights of some land that should have some large coastal black bear on it, 400lbs plus. And while I do have access to the -06, it’s not mine. My father no longer hunts and it’s available for either me or my brother to use. So right now, something in the .338/9.3mm/.35 range is looking mighty appealing.

Sounds like you have most bases covered, with the exception of the big end of town.

If you want to leave the bolt face alone, I would suggest going all the way up to either the 9.3x62 or 9.3x66. Both are on the '06 case head size and will give you some serious punch.

If you want to increase the bolt face to accommodate magnum head size, consider the 375 Ruger as an option.

Either option will give you the tool to hunt anything, just about anywhere.

I would go with a .338/06 or 9,3x62. I keep a couple of Savage actions laying around for when I want to play with a new caliber, it is super easy to swap out barrels.
Deer and bear, long action I'd suggest a 6.5 Swede or a 6.5-284; .284W, 280R, 280RAI if you plan on shooting mid range. May not make a difference but I wouldn't convert to a magnum with a small shank action.

A belted magnum on a small shank action is no problem at all. Some folks prefer to use a large shank for the Ultra magnums and WSM series but even these were built by the factory on the small shank actions when first introduced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChauMcclos

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.