Help identifying these antique horns

Gannet38

Reaction score
I picked these mounted horns up at an antique shop in Wales, UK. Struggling to identify the species. The size is throwing me off, my current theory is an atypical or oddly remounted hartebeest.
Single horn length from base to tip 24 inches. Diameter of base 11 inches.
Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks
IMG_3244.jpeg
IMG_3245.jpeg
IMG_3246.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is the size throwing you off? Looks like a red hartebeest to me with long and thin horns. That would also make the most sense for a British hunter years ago. It’s definitely not a Lichtenstein hartebeest or cokes hartebeest. Looks like too much curvature and height for a western hartebeest and west Africa wasn’t a typical destination for British hunters.

Not real clear pics, but sure looks like a Red Hartebeest to me also

Why is the size throwing you off? Looks like a red hartebeest to me with long and thin horns. That would also make the most sense for a British hunter years ago. It’s definitely not a Lichtenstein hartebeest or cokes hartebeest. Looks like too much curvature and height for a western hartebeest and west Africa wasn’t a typical destination for British hunt

I was expecting more of the ‘heart’ shape from front on, so wondered if it was particularly curvy huge smaller antelope - blesbok etc! But by process of elimination size wise, Hartebeest was my conclusion too.

+1 on the red hartebeest. I’ve also heard it referred to as the Kalahai Ferrari as they are a particularly speedy antelope.

I have seen them, with a rocking horse gate that seemed slow, drift past zebras who were just humping it as fast as they could. I don't even think the hartebeest was at full speed, either.

I have seen them, with a rocking horse gate that seemed slow, drift past zebras who were just humping it as fast as they could. I don't even think the hartebeest was at full speed, either.
It is a sight to behold, the athleticism of the fast antelope when they really open up the speed.
Part of my interest to first hunt Africa was my love for pronghorn Antelope. To see a pronghorn run so fast that their feet become a blur is amazing. I wanted to see the African animals do the same. Most of time everything is just standing, feeding, or walking, so it is a treat when you get to see how fast they can run.

I was expecting more of the ‘heart’ shape from front on, so wondered if it was particularly curvy huge smaller antelope - blesbok etc! But by process of elimination size wise, Hartebeest was my conclusion too.
Tip the horns back about 90 degrees and you should see the heart shape. Someone did a very poor job mounting the horns.

Tip the horns back about 90 degrees and you should see the heart shape. Someone did a very poor job mounting the horns.
While certainly not traditional, at least in current times, I think the “quality” of the work may actually be excellent. Bone is very flat on the base and horns effectively parallel to the wall. If this is what the client wanted, the quality may actually be very good for the period.

+1 on the red hartebeest. I’ve also heard it referred to as the Kalahai Ferrari as they are a particularly speedy antelope.

Kalahari Ferrari is a donkey cart :E Lol:

While certainly not traditional, at least in current times, I think the “quality” of the work may actually be excellent. Bone is very flat on the base and horns effectively parallel to the wall. If this is what the client wanted, the quality may actually be very good for the period.
Here's what they should look like. The horns on that mount are almost perpendicular to the wall, not parallel to it. Cap mount can still be done better keeping the horns closer to parallel. Just incorporate more skull down through the nose.
20220521_113505.jpg

Here's what they should look like. The horns on that mount are almost perpendicular to the wall, not parallel to it. Cap mount can still be done better keeping the horns closer to parallel. Just incorporate more skull down through the nose.
View attachment 629275
The tips are parallel

That is what most believe the mount should "look like". You stated someone did a "very poor" job mounting the horns. I merely stated the quality of the work may actually be excellent. Again, if this is what the client wanted, the quality may actually be very good for the period.The top 1/3 to 1/2 of the horns in the picture in question are, as stated, effectively parallel to the wall. Perhaps the poor chap's wife stated he could have horns only, but no more of those bloody skulls in the house. Perhaps he wanted to have it displayed that way for other reasons. Maybe the guy mounting the horns had free rein to be creative. Just because it is not how you prefer your horns/skulls does not mean the person mounting them did a "very poor" job. It was unique/well done enough for the OP to decide they would look cool where he has them displayed.

Last edited:
I’ll bet they were a fine place to hang a hat or coat at some point and I am glad they were preserved.
Welcome to the site, hope you got a good answer or two.
agree that it appears to be a red hartebeest and I really like the long flowing tips.

The tips are parallel
I agree with you. I think they look great and represent the period faithfully. You will find that style of horns and antlers in many of the old manors in the UK. They are also more representative of a true Euro look rather than a full skull which is the so popular in this country. I personally detest the angled look, but that is purely a personal taste thing.

A Lichtenstein and Red from my trophy room cut how Germans or Austrians would traditionally do so and mounted on plaques. The style also works very well with antiques and art as it has for hundreds of years.

hartebeest.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sherlene05

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.