Hello from Bwana Moja. Africa is NOT "The Dark Continent"

1660223537525.png

Gents,

This is what the man said about "Dark Continent":

One pet peeve I'll share with you all, and this is mirrored by all my Africa friends who share the same skin tone as me. Please stop referring to that continent as "The Dark Continent." There's nothing about Africa that's dark anymore. That's a colonial days term. It's dated, disrespectful and portrays you as out of touch. We're trying hard on this side of the world to revolt against any acts of neo-colonialism. That above-referenced moniker was placed on that part of the world by people living outside of Africa. It's high time to do away with it. I know you might think it has such a good ring to it. But it doesn't. It's a cuss word.

I honestly don't know whether this man is black, white, yellow, brown or purple. I only know that he said those who are the same skin tone as he find the term offensive. He didn't say it was a racist put down. Now if he is the same person that is in the first pic of the SCI article posted by @Randy Bo, then the man is black. But I've heard the same complaint regarding "The Dark Continent" from white men who consider themselves Africans.

I personally hate to be called an "ugly American" even though I love to travel and learn about and enjoy other cultures. I wish the term would not be used, at least not with me. I find it offensive, but not racist.

I have no issue whatsoever with any African, white or black or whatever, being bothered by someone from the USA, Europe or anywhere else using this term. It may not be meant that way, but intentions quite often don't matter. And I can easily see it being viewed by a citizen of one of the many African countries as neo-colonialism at work. Just think about it for a moment......what would you call a bunch of Americans or Europeans sitting around coming up with legislation that has the intended effect of shutting down hunting in Africa if you don't call it neo-colonialism? It's thinly veiled arrogance that such people think they know what's best for the citizens of another country. A country that they probably haven't nor ever will even so much as visit, much less call home.

Again, I don't think anyone here on AH intends to be offensive by using that phrase. But sometimes we, myself most certainly included, need to consider how what we say and how we act is viewed by the citizens of the many African countries.

Hunting in Africa is a privilege, a privilege that can disappear in a moment. We lost Botswana for awhile, don't think it couldn't happen again.
Philip you are spot on with this response. Cheers to everything you've written!

So from what I can gather you are not born in Africa but have come often and hunted and spent time with some native folks. Both black and white and everything in between I would imagine. The "honorary" name given to you you have decided to adopt. Luck they gave you THAT particular name and not another as I'm sure if it was not so flattering you would not have clung to it.

I'm sure there are dozens of members here that have been given such illustrious names when they have been on hunts. It is a term or name for the moment, in the heat of the moment. Please don't go believing you're all that.

Secondly if you want to name drop please don't use Mandela, he's was a terrorist that killed many and was party to several bombings of civilian targets. If anything your praise for him makes you less in my eyes (I'm sure you're not going to lose sleep over that fact). Maybe I'm a neo-colonialist...

Furthermore I too have spent many a night in the bush with local people of all colour, spent around 50 years on this continent, lived in three countries in Africa, worked shoulder to shoulder with Africans and I have NEVER heard of the dislike for the the term "dark continent". Maybe those who you interview have a bone to pick with the "past colonisers" or just love to sow discontent. Who knows.

One thing I will definitely agree with you on is that neo-colonialism in the true sense of the word does immense harm to Africa! 100%

But tying "dark continent" to neo-colonialism is like blaming a grain of sand in the Nile for the flooding of Alexandria.

Look forward to your participation on the forum but don't preach to me, I'm rarely online on Sunday.

Welcome, Mr one Shot.

I read what you say about the dark continent and I'm sure Cappy your camera man will still call this country the Dark Continent being hijacked of his Cruiser years back.

As previous members have mentioned the Dark Continent was called so because of mistery and no other reason.

It's definietly not the clean or white continent with violence, bribery and corrupt government officials and politicians filling their own pockets thats for sure. It might even become the next yellow or red continent with the Chinese buying everything mines, land and forests via deals they make.

I also own a red passport except for my South African passport. I was not born in Africa and could go and move to most places in the world but my heart is here my roots is firmly rooted. I will die here among all its people in my dearest Darkest Africa where elephant will hopefully tread on my ashes.

But on the other hand I have enjoyed watching your hunting videos and suddenly you stopped making them and am glad that it was all rumours and you are still hunting.
Hope to see you in a video finding your monster croc if I was you Cahora Bassa would be a good start to look.
Hey Frederik how are you my friend! I am keeping a close eye on Cahora Bassa. I believe Mozambique is holding some big ones.

There’s a lake here in Minneapolis where I live, we used to call it Lake Calhoun. It has now been renamed "Bde Maka Ska." We can't call it Lake C_ _ _ _ _ _ anymore.
This is just asinine. I will still call the Caprivi Strip the Caprivi Strip and still call Mount McKinley Mount McKinley. Just another example of condescending woke BS. :Vomit:

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, Marc. Nice to see that you became a member of AH. I am writing and adding to this thread that you started from your beloved Zambia. I am currently hunting in Kasonso Busanga and Lunga Busanga and it’s been a great trip. I’m headed to the Bangweulu Swamp and Kafue Flats later this week.

Like you, I’ve also hunted Zimbabwe, Mozambique, CAR, Tanzania, etc… and I will be in Maswa in Tanzania next year. I have also been in the hunting industry for 31 years in Colorado, Alaska, Kansas and Old Mexico as an outfitter/guide. I’ve seen more than a few animals hit the dirt and end up in the salt but I would bet that you have never heard of me. I’m not much of a self-promoter and resisted even getting a website for many years. I still learn something every day when in the field and I’ve learned a lot from several people on this website. There’s a wealth of information here and great people that are willing to share knowledge and help.

One such member is @WAB

I have read a few of your articles. I found them to be informative and generally, well done. Being in your line of work does require an amount of self-promotion. I get that. However, I would respectfully suggest that you pull back a bit from the need to enlighten us and inform us in such an outwardly way. It can come across as a bit condescending, especially in this crowd. I would suggest that even someone with your experience can learn something here. Good luck to you.

Submitted without comment

I can easily understand how Dark Continent (I also find it interesting we usually capitalize the phrase as well…) can be considered an insult, potentially racist, etc. What I find more objectionable, however, is the seemingly continual need to critically address damn near everything in the context of a modern view that, in our arrogance, we think is the RIGHT perspective.

Another meaning of bwana is “master.” How easily it would be to criticize the use of bwana as a throwback to the colonial slave era where overlords expected “ignorant” natives to continually refer to them by their supposedly superior positions over them. But we know better. We are washing many things in the past these days for social expediency. In America, we waffle over “Indian” or “native-American.” Well, my tribe, the Osage, predates American. So neither term is correct. Neither are we the “first peoples.” Science and basic history tells us the first peoples were most assuredly not Osages. But wring our hands we must.

when I was trundling around Kenya, hundreds of times I was pointed at and called mzungu by kids from 5 to about 20, the older kids would often follow with “give me some money.” Was I insulted by being called a white guy? Nope. Why? Because, except for the moody teenagers, every mouth that said mzungu was smiling and their hands usually waved as we passed by. I am confident many of these kids had not seen very many white people in their young lives. The context of the situation told me they were friends, warafiki, not enemies.

I think the same can be applied to Dark Continent. Although I can fully understand how it could be used as a pejorative. As I said initially, I get why Akeley called it Brightest Africa. It is an eye and soul-opening place, and I hope to spend a lot more time there.

Last edited:
Y
Hey Frederik how are you my friend! I am keeping a close eye on Cahora Bassa. I believe Mozambique is holding some big ones.
Yes, Cahorra Bassa is worth hunting for big crocs. I was there in 2014.

Hello and welcome, Marc. Nice to see that you became a member of AH. I am writing and adding to this thread that you started from your beloved Zambia. I am currently hunting in Kasonso Busanga and Lunga Busanga and it’s been a great trip. I’m headed to the Bangweulu Swamp and Kafue Flats later this week.

Like you, I’ve also hunted Zimbabwe, Mozambique, CAR, Tanzania, etc… and I will be in Maswa in Tanzania next year. I have also been in the hunting industry for 31 years in Colorado, Alaska, Kansas and Old Mexico as an outfitter/guide. I’ve seen more than a few animals hit the dirt and end up in the salt but I would bet that you have never heard of me. I’m not much of a self-promoter and resisted even getting a website for many years. I still learn something every day when in the field and I’ve learned a lot from several people on this website. There’s a wealth of information here and great people that are willing to share knowledge and help.

One such member is @WAB

I have read a few of your articles. I found them to be informative and generally, well done. Being in your line of work does require an amount of self-promotion. I get that. However, I would respectfully suggest that you pull back a bit from the need to enlighten us and inform us in such an outwardly way. It can come across as a bit condescending, especially in this crowd. I would suggest that even someone with your experience can learn something here. Good luck to you.
Duly noted. Thank you Scott.

Welcome, Bwana..............your opinions are quite different than mine, and I enjoy hearing different perspectives. Happy to have you contribute here...............best of luck on that World Record lesser, but I must warn you, I am also after him........................FWB

Thanks everyone, all this feedback is really helpful. I might be reaching out to a handful of you privately, to ask you if I can use your quote, for my larger article on this. I am not opposed to diverging opinions, even if some of you think I am off my rocker.

Through contradiction and controversy...sometimes we can find consensus.

Welcome, Bwana..............your opinions are quite different than mine, and I enjoy hearing different perspectives. Happy to have you contribute here...............best of luck on that World Record lesser, but I must warn you, I am also after him........................FWB
If you get him first Bill, I will try to surpass you by just 1/8 of an inch!

I can easily understand how Dark Continent (I also find it interesting we usually capitalize the phrase as well…) can be considered an insult, potentially racist, etc. What I find more objectionable, however, is the seemingly continual need to critically address damn near everything in the context of a modern view that, in our arrogance, we think is the RIGHT perspective.

Another meaning of bwana is “master.” How easily it would be to criticize the use of bwana as a throwback to the colonial slave era where overlords expected “ignorant” natives to continually refer to them by their supposedly superior positions over them. But we know better. We are washing many things in the past these days for social expediency. In America, we waffle over “Indian” or “native-American.” Well, my tribe, the Osage, predates American. So neither term is correct. Neither are we the “first peoples.” Science and basic history tells us the first peoples were most assuredly not Osages. But wring our hands we must.

when I was trundling around Kenya, hundreds of times I was pointed at and called mzungu by kids from 5 to about 20, the older kids would often follow with “give me some money.” Was I insulted by being called a white guy? Nope. Why? Because, except for the moody teenagers, every mouth that said mzungu was smiling and their hands usually waved as we passed by. I am confident many of these kids had not seen very many white people in their young lives. The context of the situation told me they were friends, warafiki, not enemies.

I think the same can be applied to Dark Continent. Although I can fully understand how it could be used as a pejorative. As I said initially, I get why Akeley called it Brightest Africa. It is an eye and soul-opening place, and I hope to spend a lot more time there.
BaxterB your sage advice is always welcome news to my ears.

So from what I can gather you are not born in Africa but have come often and hunted and spent time with some native folks. Both black and white and everything in between I would imagine. The "honorary" name given to you you have decided to adopt. Luck they gave you THAT particular name and not another as I'm sure if it was not so flattering you would not have clung to it.

I'm sure there are dozens of members here that have been given such illustrious names when they have been on hunts. It is a term or name for the moment, in the heat of the moment. Please don't go believing you're all that.

Secondly if you want to name drop please don't use Mandela, he's was a terrorist that killed many and was party to several bombings of civilian targets. If anything your praise for him makes you less in my eyes (I'm sure you're not going to lose sleep over that fact). Maybe I'm a neo-colonialist...

Furthermore I too have spent many a night in the bush with local people of all colour, spent around 50 years on this continent, lived in three countries in Africa, worked shoulder to shoulder with Africans and I have NEVER heard of the dislike for the the term "dark continent". Maybe those who you interview have a bone to pick with the "past colonisers" or just love to sow discontent. Who knows.

One thing I will definitely agree with you on is that neo-colonialism in the true sense of the word does immense harm to Africa! 100%

But tying "dark continent" to neo-colonialism is like blaming a grain of sand in the Nile for the flooding of Alexandria.

Look forward to your participation on the forum but don't preach to me, I'm rarely online on Sunday.
Zambezi: Compliments to your honesty sir. I can tell your eyes have seen alot.

Well Bwana Moja, you seem well able to sum up Africa from some visits and come up with amazingly condescending epiphets. How intelligent you must be. I have lived in Africa all my life, my parents have lived here all their lives, their parents came here in the 1800's, my kids are born here, and their kids too. I love Africa, we all have and do. I love all it's people, I have educated them, helped them build their homes, statred companies for them. And I love the history of this continent and my little place in it, just as Speke, Stanley, Lobengula and Rhodes and Shaka had their little place in it. Dark Continent was never racial, it referred to a place that was mysterious and unknown and still does. How dare you denigrate it. It refers to a time in history and it carries no negative connotation. Today Africa is an eclectic vibrant mix that comes from it's very history, it all has a bearing. So forgive me, but I find your lecturing rather shallow and nauseating. Interestingly you have hunted your fill - why did you come to Africa to do it, what drew you? Allow we who have nothing to atone for to continue our wanderings of this beautiful place and save your words for a cause in your own back yard.
Appreciate your perspective Kevin. Yes' we'll go have a beer one day.

Dude, that first sentence invalidates you to me and most people. The reader will judge if your writings are intelligent - not you. YOU are going to make Me smarter?!?!? You need to drop the arrogance if you are to gain any credibility - especially with this crowd.
Fixfire: I rarely even read stuff unless it makes me smarter. I want to become more informed and educated about stuff I think I know everything about. I hope my writings do the same thing.

Dark...........lack of light. Maybe we're on to something here. I know that during my 6 years in Nigeria, the power went out frequently, leaving everyone in the Dark. The 5-1/2 years in Angola was somewhat better. A few bright lights along the coast, but move inland a bit and nothing. Total darkness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QSGAli3189

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?