Hello from Austin, TX! Lurker turned member after decade +

alexaib

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello Africa Hunting! I remember discovering this website in its infancy when I was still a teenager. I've been fortunate enough that I finally have a bit of time and money to just now begin my pursuit of global, classic hunting adventures and the "refined sporting gentleman" lifestyle after decades of dreaming of it. I'm sure I will find many kindred spirits here. In fact, I just booked my first genuine trophy big-game hunt today! Spending American Thanksgiving hunting whitetail deer in Saskatchewan! Hopefully a first trip to Africa within the next few years!

I have always had an interest in firearms, the outdoors, and particularly hunting (probably from reading Jack London + PH Capstick books and watching Dances with Wolves + Legends of the Fall as a kid), but I didn't grow up around it. I bought my first rifle and taught myself to shoot when I was in grade school, and eventually ended up studying history at West Point and serving as a US Army armor officer. My passions and interests in history, firearms/weapons, and the outdoors were always pursued in books (I'm very proud of my military history and sporting library), but now I can finally start pursuing these dreams in real life! Happy to be here!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and the family, and best of luck on your upcoming hunt(s). If you're ever in the north DFW area, drop me a line and there's a few of us in the area that would love to put a face with the name. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum and the family, and best of luck on your upcoming hunt(s). If you're ever in the north DFW area, drop me a line and there's a few of us in the area that would love to put a face with the name. Cheers!
I have family in that area, planning on making a trip over Labor Day weekend and hitting a lot of Half Price Books looking for way-too-expensive hunting and classic gun books. Purdey & Sons only $350!

:S Welcome:

Welcome to the posting side.
Make sure you practice your hunt report skills with that Whitetail hunt.

:S Welcome: to AH!

Welcome to AH alexaib! Great intro and nice to have you as part of our community now.

I am certainly not a “refined sporting gentleman”, but love hunting Africa and live in Austin. :). Welcome!

Good day, Sir! Welcome from our side! Enjoy living your dream!!

Welcome to AH!!

Welcome to AH! Not much else to tell someone who has been lurking for a decade+ (LOL). You already know how much can be gained from the many fine folks here. I hope to read about your Saskatchewan adventure this fall. Best of luck.

I have family in that area, planning on making a trip over Labor Day weekend and hitting a lot of Half Price Books looking for way-too-expensive hunting and classic gun books. Purdey & Sons only $350!
A friend in the Austin area has had great luck finding African hunting books in the Half Price Books there. Said the Austin locations are great because the classic hunting and firearms books are rarely picked over.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome @alexaib I’m not far from Austin, lived there the first 29 years of my life. Are you active with the Austin Chapter of SCI?

Welcome to the dark side, you have picked a great place to start your journey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GraigRockw

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.