Hello from Alaska

Yes, I’ve been falling the declining sheep populations for a while in Alaska. It’s the main reason I’m looking at NWT or Yukon for a sheep hunt vs the significantly cheaper AK Hunts. I know the Brooks Range hasn’t been hit as hard as other areas of Alaska but has still taken a beating with very low lamb crops several years ago.
If your planning to hunt with a guide, you are probably still fine in Alaska. Those guys follow the game population in the area they hunt pretty well and don't offer hunts they are not reasonably sure to be successful with.

If your planning to hunt with a guide, you are probably still fine in Alaska. Those guys follow the game population in the area they hunt pretty well and don't offer hunts they are not reasonably sure to be successful with.
As a non resident, I unfortunately need to use a guide in Alaska.

With that said, I believe guided sheep hunters in Alaska are running sub 50% success rates on rams. Their success rates are significantly higher than the non guided hunter pool but it’s still a lot lower than other areas of North America.

Nothing you have said is wrong, but still if you apply for a drawing hunt and are drawn, and you go with a guide familiar with the area. There are guides who enjoy a higher level of success than the average guide. Keep in mind some of these guides come from the lower 48, as due to interstate commerce laws they are allowed to guide here just like they are residents, even though they cannot legally hunt the animal themselves. Still if you want a more garanteed hunt you are correct. Canada may be a better option. I would recomend chasing mountain goat, and give the sheep a few more years to recover, if time is not an immediate concern.

Once again, welcome to the world’s greatest forum.
And thanks again for the wonderful seafood you sent.
Next time you travel to Los Anchorage, I will at least buy you lunch in return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FletcherHa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.