Hello from Alaska

teklanika_ray

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
life time NRA member, Life Time Alaska Trappers Association Member
Appearantly, it is the custom to do an introduction of one's self when joining the group. I skipped this, and it has been suggested that I correct that oversight.

I am in my 50s and live in Alaska. I have lived here for almost 25 years now. Before that, I was in the Army where I served as a Medic. For the past 20 years, I have worked for the Army as a DoD civilian as a Security Manager.

I am married and have 4 children one is in her 20s and the oldest is in his 30s, and two are preteens. We are a hunting family. We will all go to the field every spring for black bears, and every fall for moose season. We spend our summers fishing for salmon, halibut, cod, rockfish, and what ever the ocean will provide. When I go to Africa the whole family will likely go as well. I am very passionate about hunting, fishing, and trapping.

As Forest Gump says "That is all I got to say about that".

I look forward to sharing information with everyone, and am very happy to be here.

If you have any question about hunting in Alaska, I can probably help you sort that out. Please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope this satisfies my introduction requirements.

Welcome to AH! I do hope to go to Alaska and fly fish for those big rainbows someday.

Welcome from another new guy. Hunted grizzlies with George Faerber from Trapper Creek, AK 20 years ago. Love Alaska, wanted to move to Kenai or Wasilla after I retired but couldn’t convince wife! Look forward to your input on your big bore rifles.

Here are a few pictures from Alaska.

20190924_171046.jpg
20190922_084045.jpg
20180925_162653.jpg
Heuer 2012.jpg
scan0114.jpg
client_PART_1474478636928_Resized_20160921_090612_001.jpeg
client_PART_1466706909365_Resized_20160623_103356(1).jpeg
300x300-53.jpg
client_PART_1506308422496_Resized_20170918_184524_015.jpeg
client_PART_1504151407212_Resized_20170829_105305.jpeg
client_PART_1480636767238_Resized_20161201_120733.jpeg
300x300-11.jpg
300x300-44.jpg
300x300-8.jpg
300x300-9.jpg
IMG_0230.jpeg
20190909_065205(1).jpg
20180628_122503.jpg
client_PART_1519616380865_Resized_20180224_123005.jpeg
client_PART_1514665990752_Resized_20171230_105316.jpeg
client_PART_1514765584294_Resized_20171230_105309.jpeg
IMG_20231208_154632.jpg

505 is a tricky cartridge. Reloading it takes careful skills and experiance. If not done right either you damage the expensive brass or chamber ing problems. It is great cartridge. I have a few of them. I do have a cz 550 magnum bolt. Did not want to sell it to because building 505 by cz part by part will take a lot of work and may not come satisfactorily. So I held back. More over some cz 375 actions are rated 4300kpt and some 4700. One has to be carefull. I did buy some spares for my cz collection from cz when they were still available. I may never need them but one never can tell never.
Krish

Welcome to AH teklanika_ray! You'll fit right in, enjoy your time here. Thx for the great pictures from Alaska.

Krish,

I am curious about your reloading warning. Is it because of the crimping? I have ordered 75 505 gibbs pieces to start off. I figured one or two may be damaged setting up the die, but am I being overly nieve?? What should I guard against.

I am confident that I have the action and the barrel sorted out (without needing to go part by part). I bought both from reputable gun smiths. I appreciate you hesitancy to offer up your spares, and would not want to impose unless I really needed it, which I don't. I have been convinced to build several different firearms to satisfy my desires.

I purchased the action from AHR, where I explained my intent (of the 505 Gibbs) and he felt I should be ok. I have to admit to not knowing to ask what the action was pressure rated for. I can ask him tomorrow.

Thx Krish, you seem like a genuine and awesome individual. I have seen references to you in many strings of conversations here. You appear to be held in high regard, and it is clear why. Thx for your advice.

Ray

Welcome to AH! I do hope to go to Alaska and fly fish for those big rainbows someday
Unfortunately, I am not super helpful for trout, but I know a guy or two I can hook you up with if needed.

AHR would have given you correct action. AHR is highly respected with out a question. When loading 505 gibbs pay attention to seating the bullet. The neck need to be flared a tiny. Then use
Ground Mika as shown in pictures so you won't buckle the neck. As for as powder goes 7828 seem good but you may need copack or some kind of filler. To avoid secondary ignition in cold climate. It is very serious and dangerous to leave much empty space.these are some points. As I get my memory comes back I will let you know more.
Krish
20240906_012243.jpg
20240906_012300.jpg
20240906_012326.jpg
20240906_012335.jpg

505 can hold over 150grs of powder. So with proper powder you may leave empty space. That needs addressed with filler. Or atleast 140+ grains of suitable powder. Some powders will not burn all of it. So be careful what you choose. Federal 215 large magnum primers is all we can get. Even that lacks woomph. PAY attention for all the powder to be utilized. Othervise you will have unburnt powder in the chamber, magazine exetra.
Federal make 216 primers but as reloader we can't get it.
Krish

You don't more than 2200ft/sec with 570 0r 600gr bullets.
You can go easily for 2600ft/sec. Then you are asking for trouble.
My 2cents.
Krish

Reactions: WAB
It is easier and better to build .550 manum. It can shoot 700gr bullets at 2300ft/sec.
It uses blown out 460 wby case. Will work in cz 550 manum Acton in 416 Rigby. Bolt face is the dame. Need very little modification. Shoots .550 bullets. Pack nor makes barreled for it. I can put you in touch with NEEL SHIRLEY of Arizona who designed it. Wayne at AHR USE TO BUOLD 550 MAGNUM. MORE EFFICIENT AND MORE POWER
Alaskan bullet works make bonded bullets for it.
KRISH

Krish,
Have you ever paper patched for the 505 gibbs?

I will absolutely do my research for powders and will need to read up on gopack or fillers in general. That is a new consideration for me. Here in Fairbabks, Alaska it can be very difficult to get specific powders. For sure 7828 will be difficult unless I find it in an estate sake, maybe Anchorage stores may have some. I think H1000 is going to be what I can find available around here. Also bullets have been a little challenging. I found some, but that is why I am asking about paper patch. I believe I may have to cast some hardcase bullets, at least for practice loads. Again, thanks for the advice, I will absolutely take it into consideration in planning/developing my loads for this caluber.

Copack. It is fine variety of cotton grown in soth Asia
I will send you a picture.
Krish

Look in to 550 manum before you jump. Talk to AHR.
KRISH
Lol, Krish. I am already in mid-air. The barrel has been ordered from Germany and the action should be heading out to the gunsmith within a week. That being said, I'll take a look at the 550 magnum, but I understood the 505 was likely on its death bed as a cartridge when I started the project. This rifle falls square into the want category, it is not a need at all. If I like the 550 magnum, I may lay off the 416 Rigby build I was planning and move in that direction instead. This conversation is representative of the one that landed me on the 505 Gibbs to begin with. I was initially looking at the 600 overkill. Just because I wanted one. But a buddy of mine pointed out the punishing recoil and recommended the 505 Gibbs, so here I am.

Welcome aboard!

Appearantly, it is the custom to do an introduction of one's self when joining the group. I skipped this, and it has been suggested that I correct that oversight.

I am in my 50s and live in Alaska. I have lived here for almost 25 years now. Before that, I was in the Army where I served as a Medic. For the past 20 years, I have worked for the Army as a DoD civilian as a Security Manager.

I am married and have 4 children one is in her 20s and the oldest is in his 30s, and two are preteens. We are a hunting family. We will all go to the field every spring for black bears, and every fall for moose season. We spend our summers fishing for salmon, halibut, cod, rockfish, and what ever the ocean will provide. When I go to Africa the whole family will likely go as well. I am very passionate about hunting, fishing, and trapping.

As Forest Gump says "That is all I got to say about that".

I look forward to sharing information with everyone, and am very happy to be here.

If you have any question about hunting in Alaska, I can probably help you sort that out. Please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope this satisfies my introduction requirements.
Nicely done!!! Welcome!!!

Teklanika_Ray, I'm glad you decided to stick around. From your first post, I thought you were a little dubious. Re. your AHR approved action, Wayne is highly respected where CZ rifles are concerned. Knowing your intent to build a 505 Gibbs, I seriously doubt he would sell you something that was / is inadequate. IMHO there are a lot of AH members that know their "sh##" as a serious hunter / shooter, you are going to find that out. BTW thanks for the introduction and photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
degip68993

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]