AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hello All!
I need new hearing protection and I am looking at the ESP Digital solutions and the Otopro solution. They both make a molded model of your ear. I wanted to see if anyone had experience with either or both?
Thank you!

My wife and I have been wearing custom molded earplugs for over 20 years. A couple of years ago I decided to up the ante and go for electronic noise canceling hearing protection that also comes with sound amplification for those with some hearing loss. Not sure how long I spent researching, but I landed on Tetra CustomShield for use when hunting. Very happy with their performance.

Price...yeah they are not exactly cheap, but I believe you get what you pay for in this case. The ability to customize these plugs for the type of hunting I'm doing was worth the cost.

We still have and use passive custom molded plugs, but for hunting...electronic is the way to go IMO.

At the range you should use over ear muffs because the are better protection electronic are great. Then I would recommend the cheaper ear plug type connected with a wire and battery that runs behind your neck. All ear protection is sweaty and uncomfortable. I wore them for filming hunts and they are necessary. But you will have a few seconds to shove them in your ears while hunting- so balance easy access with not wearing them 24/7. Even the custom ones get irritating after a while and those noise cancelling ear plugs work great for the shot and then you can take them out and rest your ears.

I’ve worn the custom molded plugs for an entire day at work routinely with no problems. If they are uncomfortable, they don’t fit properly.

If at all possible, I wear plugs and muffs to double up on the protection. Both at work and when shooting. Once you lose it, it’s gone forever. Outside of hearing aids, there’s no getting it back.

I prefer prevention now over seeking solutions later.

In terms of cost, I'll make the point that quality costs, a lack of quality cost even more. Needing hearing aids everyday for the rest of your life will cost a lot more than even the most expensive hearing protection you can imagine.

Remember the most commonly used phrase amongst old shooters is: "Huh! What was that, speak up":cry:

Thanks all! I wear protection - just want to step it up and there are several brands out there. I have been shooting shotguns for 25 years and have had some loss which I want to make sure I stop at current level. I am seeing the audiologist next week and they offer several brands.

Get the best plugs you can get! Years of aircraft engines and rotorblades, along with gunfire and radar cooling fans, have left their mark on my ears. This is WITH using my Marine Corps issued and Coast Guard supplied hearing protection. Hearing aids are a must for me to tell where a sound is coming from or to hear more than a mumble from my wife if my back is turned. I wear noise canceling headsets and custom made plugs that did not exist years ago (wish they did).

I’m big on hearing protection.

Consider running suppressors. Makes a huge difference at about same cost as good hearing protection.

Does anyone have a brand they prefer?
You know I like walkers. I have the in ear and over ear.

I replace tips with comfy and get great fit. You can always go to nearest audiologist and get molded earpieces made for probably 1-200 dollars.

I do like the ones that connect with Bluetooth. I get texts read to me and can listen to music. I have young kids so it’s good to not totally disconnect. You can always turn that feature off.

The around neck have much better battery life than the small ones that just go in the ears. And much harder to lose.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 5.28.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 5.28.49 PM.png
    613.5 KB · Views: 45
Does anyone have a brand they prefer?
I use Caldwell over ear muffs with electronics when filming hunts and at the range. In ear are not quite as good with regards to sound deadening and battery life etc. Peltor and 3m are excelent as well. In ear is better than nothing and if you are hunting, they may suit you better. I had a client with the two ear pieces connected with a wire/battery. They worked well for about $150. I mention the wire because he looped them through his cap and then they dangled over each shoulder. Easy to shove in when things get serious but he didnt have them in all the time. The key to any safety gear is actually wearing it when needed. Most of us get tired of a hot sweaty plastic thing in our ear and take it out. I used to put the ear muffs up on my head while walking and slip them on when things looked like they might kick off. Sometimes I had an hour of sweaty ears. So I dont buy entry level or top of the range and if it isnt close and ready and electronics working, it wont be of any use. Wearing all day may work for people with more self control but not for me.

I use Caldwell over ear muffs with electronics when filming hunts and at the range. In ear are not quite as good with regards to sound deadening and battery life etc. Peltor and 3m are excelent as well. In ear is better than nothing and if you are hunting, they may suit you better. I had a client with the two ear pieces connected with a wire/battery. They worked well for about $150. I mention the wire because he looped them through his cap and then they dangled over each shoulder. Easy to shove in when things get serious but he didnt have them in all the time. The key to any safety gear is actually wearing it when needed. Most of us get tired of a hot sweaty plastic thing in our ear and take it out. I used to put the ear muffs up on my head while walking and slip them on when things looked like they might kick off. Sometimes I had an hour of sweaty ears. So I dont buy entry level or top of the range and if it isnt close and ready and electronics working, it wont be of any use. Wearing all day may work for people with more self control but not for me.
If at range or practice I wear over the ear muffs, still electronic.

Hunting I like to wear a Safari hat so over the ear don’t work. I often do the same with neck in the ear. Let them dangle, and can easily pop in ears if deer enter the pic. Did the same in Africa.

Honestly a shot here and there hunting isn’t what messes up ears. It’s the practice rounds of multiple shots. Any shooting inside is also way worse

I've worn the electronic Howard Leight Impact Sports while hunting from a stand. They kept my ears warm while amplifying the sounds of the forest.

At the indoor range, I was advised by my audiologist to use foam plugs plus shooting muffs. I also have a pair of custom molded plugs I can wear as well.

Has anyone used the Axil GS Extreme plugs? They combine bluetooth with a noise canceling technology. I have a pair but have not shot with them yet. While less cumbersome that the over the head muffs, they seem harder for me to control. I'd love to know what experience others have had with them.

Audiologists all say that the soft foam plugs give better hearing protection than the triple or quadruple flange plastic ones do. Not the cylindrical yellow (foam) ones, but the almost teardrop shaped ones. I have difficulty obtaining a good seal with those, and really have to try to get them in correctly. Doubling up is absolutely the way to go - plugs and muffs.

An alternative for earplugs are the custom-fitted ones. Do yourself a favor, and pay the money to have them made professionally. They are spendy, but what is your hearing worth?

FYI - I bought ESP Digital. I shot Helice twice this weekend with them - and I like them a lot. A little to get used to, but we will see. Taking them to Zim soon to see how it goes.

I use the Peltor TEP -100 and find it brilliant. Just keep it your cargo pocket till you are ready to do a stalk and the 3 AA batteries are foolproof no matter where you go, none of this finding a USB charger in the bush. They are a bit pricey but worth in IMHO. Have used them on 2 safaris and I have another set to shoot skeet with every week. The ear inserts are some of the best designed no chance of falling out.

Peltor TEP 100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfhrfjrtyergdf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles