Headed to Scotland Fall 2023

One thing with trophies in Scotland is that anyone offering large trophies will almost certainly be focusing on overseas clients.

Traditionally, highland stalking is about taking out animals that are past their prime or have something wrong with them, so that normally means older animals with heads that are going backwards, I suppose like a scrum cap buffalo bull or younger animals that won’t ever make it.

A lot of estates now have a cull on sight policy, as part of a rewilding / carbon capture scheme.

In both scenarios, it is a fixed fee per day or beast.

I know a lady who stalks a lot on her own land and she has only ever shot one 12 pointer. She doesn’t allow anything over 12 points to be shot by guests unless is is in forestry or unless a guest will pay enough! Her view is that anything over 12 points is probably in it’s prime and best left for breeding.

Following this thread with interest. I have family that live in the highlands and tried to book a stag hunt to coincide with a visit but was unsuccessful. I ended up hunting Roe in England instead.

Everyone I contacted was booked out two seasons or had no availability. Several estates I contacted said they offer first refusal to clients from the past season and they always return.

The highlands have the most beautiful and dramatic landscapes I have ever seen. Hunting or not it’s always worth a visit.

After decades of PH’ing in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Tanzania I moved to an Estate in Scotland, in the lowlands just north of Dundee.
I would head up to the Highlands where we harvested Red Stag - just beautiful. Roe deer we’d harvest on the lowland Estate, plus bird shoots.
Without a doubt Scotland is one of the most beautiful countries on this planet. The weather Gods are so jealous of its beauty that they torment the lands with diabolical weather but humanity has it covered with the clothing we produce!!!
Just love Scotland.
Some pics of the cabin we hunted from….

11734.jpeg
11698.jpeg
11683.jpeg
11686.jpeg
11728.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally , I wouldnt bother with the Fallow. If you are stalking in Scotland the iconic Reds are the one. Roe would be good also but If I were to travel to Scotland it would have to be a Red stag.
There are plenty of places that are very affordable. Be honest about your level of fitness. I have hunted with Winston Churchill on the east of Argyll and you have to very fit. His prices are very good , I have never taken a "trophy" stag but we have takeen very nice 10 pointers.
Markcz
Do you have information or website ect...

I’m currently shopping around for a 2025 hunt in Scotland. Book early is my best advice because the whole planet likes to travel and hunt there.

My previous post covers most of my thoughts, but I will add:
- You need to decide if you want to immerse yourself in 1-2 places or tour the country. They make for very different experiences.
- Using Groupon, or flying to Dublin and then taking Ryanair :sick: to Glasgow or Edinburgh can save you money on airfare
- Air BnB is usually much cheaper than hotels in Scotland IIRC.

Edit: Talisker was my favorite distillery last time. Next time I am going to Islay for the peat monster tours. If you like the more gentle ones go to Speyside which starts in the Cairgorms and heads northeast of Inverness towards Elgin.
I am just south of Lexington if you were up for getting together over a beer or good shot of bourbon I would love to get together and pick your brain. lol

hind and follower.jpg
hind and follower.jpg This gives you some idea of the terrain.
Markcz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouAlbers8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa