Has anyone hunted buffalo in the "Greater Kruger Area". Experiences and recommendations

Foxi

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hi Fellows,
I've heared that there is free roaming for the animals.They can change the area into the park and back.
Fences are said, to have been dismantled decades ago.
Who has already hunted there and was really satisfied.
Greetings+Thanks
Foxi

There are fences around the area but the area is open on the side of the kruger park So the animals can pass into the kruger park and back again

To clarify a little bit better.
Greater Kruger is a extremely large area that borders Kruger, without a fence separating the two areas
The greater Kruger area also consists of multiple large reserves, that border one another without fences separating them
Where you will find a fence is where these areas border settlements, and other private land. Ie mainly to the south west and partly the north. Some of the preserves within the greater Kruger had no or very little boundary fence on one side mainly

I have hunted Klaserie. The number, age class and quality of the bulls is the best I have seen. The bull in my avatar was taken on that hunt.

The area is more developed than I would prefer. There are many lodges and the road system is extensive. If anything, the hunting is less challenging than say a hunt in the Luangwa or Zambezi valleys. Plains game was not available. I don’t know if this is a rule or just my specific hunt.

Hunted Klaserie with @Spear Safaris (Ernest Dyason) a couple of years ago. Was a wonderful hunt. Stayed at Ernest and Marita’s private lodge at Thornybush right down the road. The hunt was for a management bull less than 36” or so. It was easy to find buffalo, although it rained hard for two or three days. It was NOT easy to find the bull we were looking for. Was very nice seeing elephant and daytime leopard, lion etc. while hunting. Picked up a couple of impala for camp meat as well, although that was in Thornybush. Ernest is able to apply for a permit or two per year I think.

It’s not like hunting Mozambique or the big safari areas in Zim. It IS a wonderful hunt that your wife or girlfriend will enjoy as well.
8BABB544-F314-4835-960D-2DBE917EC35C.jpeg
DDD7176B-1715-4904-A5A5-E11FBF7698FD.jpeg

Ernest of Spear safaris run a good show.
He is in the Greater Kruger area so you cannot go wrong with him.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

I have hunted Klaserie. The number, age class and quality of the bulls is the best I have seen. The bull in my avatar was taken on that hunt.

The area is more developed than I would prefer. There are many lodges and the road system is extensive. If anything, the hunting is less challenging than say a hunt in the Luangwa or Zambezi valleys. Plains game was not available. I don’t know if this is a rule or just my specific hunt.

Image1724422102.216861.jpg

This is the Appie with the bull I took in Klaserie. The bosses on these bulls are incredible. This bull is 42” wide for perspective on the bosses.

I hunted a huge reserve further north from APNR reserves that’s no longer open to hunting. I took my largest buffalo I ever expect to take there. It was Fenced on the western boundary and open on the eastern boundary with Kruger. The age class of buffalo and genetics from kruger is really impressive. If getting a really old buffalo or your biggest buffalo and having a comfortable hunt is the goal I’d do that hunt again. If the goal is a more pure wilderness experience and hard hunting I’d look elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeromeHart

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!