Has anyone heard Alliant is stopping sales of powder for reloading?

I agree 100% but what choice do you have when your favorite powder is no longer an option?
Buy factory ammo on sale buy the case. From .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM and on down to my .25-06, that's what I'm doing. I don't have the TIME or the inclination to play these games any longer looking for powder/primers/brass to try and get another 50fps velocity out of handloaded ammo or an extra 1/8th" MOA when MY big game hunting shots are within 300yds. .375 and up to .458 Lott including my .416 Taylor I'll still reload for because the shot count is low, but I'm done with the rest. Hard to beat $25-26/box for factory ammo by the case with premium bullets in the smaller stuff. To each their own but that's what I'm doing NOW considering all the CONTINUING shortages and massive price increases for reloading components.

Stopped in a very small gun and tackle shop in Boston, Ohio after a morning of birding, found 6 bricks of Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers interesting. Purchased one. All primers, vintage and new, 10 cents per. No new powder, cardboard canister of Reloader 12 was there. Should have considered another brick of primers on second thought.
20240609_221431.jpg

I was having a hard time finding Alliant RE15 so I picked up some Norma 203B. At the time the Norma powders were a little more expensive and seemed to always be in stock. Shortly after that Norma branded powders vanished in the US.

Nobel Sport Vectan was in stock at Grafs at a good price so I thought I would give them a try. I think that the Vectan stayed on the shelf as long as it did was because people were reluctant to try them out.
I am looking at an invoice from 2021 where I paid $24.99 a pound for that brand. Shortly there after Vectan branded powders vanished form the US.

VihtaVuori as far back as I can remember was usually the most available and expensive powder on the shelf. Lately I have seen eight pound jugs of VV not only available but priced below most of similar burn rates of Hodgdon and Alliant.

It is annoying to make a powder switch (or bullet for that matter) when you have found the sweet spot.
I think @Joker12 is spot on. If you don't feel like you have enough of (fill in the blank) it is time to consider the few remaining options available, while still available.
I can point you to a couple places with RL15. I just bought some this weekend

I need Blue Dot... It hasn't been available for a long time and I'm not holding my breath. Sadly, as far as I know, there is no suitable substitute.

I contacted Alliant and was told they would be making more in the future.

Thankfully black powder is still available.

Gentlemen,

We've been through times of ammunition and reloading component famine before but this one could be much worse. The war in Ukraine is consuming vast amounts of gunpowder each and every day. Even though artillery uses bags of powder containing individual grains half the size of a man's thumb, it comes from the same factories that in peacetime produce powders for sporting arms.

Each gunpowder factory has a production capacity consisting of not only plant equipment but also skilled munitions workers. If a manufacturer such as Nammo group which owns Norma shifts all production to meet military munitions needs, don't count on finding any Norma reloading powder anytime soon.

The article from the above link mentions that Nammo is fighting the Chinese owner of Tik-Tok to more electricity to expand their plant capacity. Who would have thought about that?

Currently nitrocellulose is in short supply. It is what was once referred to as "gun cotton" and the base for gun powder.

And artillery shells consume pounds of gunpower and thus nitrocellulose with every shot!
From the above Barrons article;
"EU internal market commissioner Thierry Breton told reporters in Paris Friday that the bloc also faced challenges finding the raw materials for gunpowder.
"To make powder, you need a specific kind of cotton, which mostly comes from China," he said.
Nitrocellulose, also known as guncotton, is a key ingredient in gunpowder manufacture.
"Would you know it, deliveries of this cotton from China stopped as if by chance a few months ago," Breton added.
China and Russia have in recent years ramped up economic cooperation and diplomatic contacts, and their strategic partnership has grown closer since the invasion of Ukraine.
In Russia this week, China's Vice Foreign Minister Sun Weidong declared relations "are at their best period in history".
Breton said that "Nordic countries have found a substitute for the Chinese cotton... innovation is at work, precisely to meet the need for powder, because... we have problems today with powder capacity".
Companies producing the substitute ingredients for powder would be among those selected for grants under the EU's Act In Support of Ammunition Production (ASAP) to be announced next week, Breton said.
Breton predicted that EU efforts to boost artillery shell output would bring the bloc's annual production capacity to between 1.5 million and 1.7 million by the end of this year.
He estimated that the equivalent figure for Russia was "a little below two million".
"Everyone is putting themselves in a position to manufacture on a much larger scale," said IRIS expert Maulny.
"For now, the Ukrainians are short of shells... the Russians don't have a shortage since they got stocks from the North Koreans, but it could happen in the coming months," he added.
"No-one was ready for a high-intensity conflict where there's enormous consumption of military equipment. We haven't seen a war like this since World War II," Maulny said.

So listen up! If you want to keep loading your own ammo, stock up on powder and primers when available. The same logic applies to loaded ammunition. If you do not and a year or two from now post that you cannot feed your dangerous game rifle, it will be your own darn fault!

PS: If some fool calls you a hoarder for stocking up, well they just confirmed their foolishness...

Well Unobtanium never comes cheap. Midsouth sent out an email last week that they had some Alliant powders. Seeing all the disturbing news about possible shortages l, I figured I should probably grab some. Have to feed the 375.

IMG_1611.JPG

I can point you to a couple places with RL15. I just bought some this weekend
I just now saw this post and apologize for such a late response. Much appreciated but I feel good about my inventory of Norma 203B that I substituted for Alliant RE15.

I was drinking my coffee this morning and I had a thought. What if all the reloading crowd got together and started a non profit powder and primer company. I know this is a fantasy but seriously consider that for a moment. Of coarse there would be considerable costs but think about how it might be structured and how we would benefit from it

Gentlemen,

We've been through times of ammunition and reloading component famine before but this one could be much worse. The war in Ukraine is consuming vast amounts of gunpowder each and every day. Even though artillery uses bags of powder containing individual grains half the size of a man's thumb, it comes from the same factories that in peacetime produce powders for sporting arms.

Each gunpowder factory has a production capacity consisting of not only plant equipment but also skilled munitions workers. If a manufacturer such as Nammo group which owns Norma shifts all production to meet military munitions needs, don't count on finding any Norma reloading powder anytime soon.

The article from the above link mentions that Nammo is fighting the Chinese owner of Tik-Tok to more electricity to expand their plant capacity. Who would have thought about that?

Currently nitrocellulose is in short supply. It is what was once referred to as "gun cotton" and the base for gun powder.

And artillery shells consume pounds of gunpower and thus nitrocellulose with every shot!
From the above Barrons article;
"EU internal market commissioner Thierry Breton told reporters in Paris Friday that the bloc also faced challenges finding the raw materials for gunpowder.
"To make powder, you need a specific kind of cotton, which mostly comes from China," he said.
Nitrocellulose, also known as guncotton, is a key ingredient in gunpowder manufacture.
"Would you know it, deliveries of this cotton from China stopped as if by chance a few months ago," Breton added.
China and Russia have in recent years ramped up economic cooperation and diplomatic contacts, and their strategic partnership has grown closer since the invasion of Ukraine.
In Russia this week, China's Vice Foreign Minister Sun Weidong declared relations "are at their best period in history".
Breton said that "Nordic countries have found a substitute for the Chinese cotton... innovation is at work, precisely to meet the need for powder, because... we have problems today with powder capacity".
Companies producing the substitute ingredients for powder would be among those selected for grants under the EU's Act In Support of Ammunition Production (ASAP) to be announced next week, Breton said.
Breton predicted that EU efforts to boost artillery shell output would bring the bloc's annual production capacity to between 1.5 million and 1.7 million by the end of this year.
He estimated that the equivalent figure for Russia was "a little below two million".
"Everyone is putting themselves in a position to manufacture on a much larger scale," said IRIS expert Maulny.
"For now, the Ukrainians are short of shells... the Russians don't have a shortage since they got stocks from the North Koreans, but it could happen in the coming months," he added.
"No-one was ready for a high-intensity conflict where there's enormous consumption of military equipment. We haven't seen a war like this since World War II," Maulny said.

So listen up! If you want to keep loading your own ammo, stock up on powder and primers when available. The same logic applies to loaded ammunition. If you do not and a year or two from now post that you cannot feed your dangerous game rifle, it will be your own darn fault!

PS: If some fool calls you a hoarder for stocking up, well they just confirmed their foolishness...

In former Hedmark county , Elverum township there will be built 1 huge Tik Tok plants . As the location of it is just 2 miles from one large military base , and 10 miles from the largest one where our Para and Socom is located . It’s quite odd the thinking of politicians are today , but as they are Labor and not Lion’s there is little too ponder how so come .

I was drinking my coffee this morning and I had a thought. What if all the reloading crowd got together and started a non profit powder and primer company. I know this is a fantasy but seriously consider that for a moment. Of coarse there would be considerable costs but think about how it might be structured and how we would benefit from it
The big problem is the ingredients to make the powder are in short supply, at least the ingredients for consumer powders.

The big problem is the ingredients to make the powder are in short supply, at least the ingredients for consumer powders.
I suppose China has cornered the supply. I just picked up 24 pounds of IMR 4451 at a local auction for $27 a pound, not my favorite powder but it will work in several cartridges that I load for, can't never have to much on hand .

Drifters has/had a fairly large selection of Reloder powders. Got the email today.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcellaGa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]