Has anyone actually lost ammo?

bakerb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada, Russia, South Africa, Botswana
African hunters frequently mention ease of replacement of ammo when debating calibers. Your almost think it’s a really common thing to happen. But is it?

Who has actually received their rifle but had lost ammo on a hunt?

I’ll start. I actually have. 2018 snow sheep hunt in Russia. La Guardia screwed me. Rifle made it. Luggage with ammo did not. 10 rounds of 300 RUM cost me $300 US in Petropavlovsk. We made the deal in an alley way . . .

Anyone else ?

I am hunting worldwide since 1983 but have never lost anything. The rifle or/and the ammunition arrived belated in several times and this only delayed the hunt slightly but never made it impossible. Luckily, because in those days in the Soviet Union or later Russia and other states of Central Asia, I would never have been able to buy ammunition.

24 years ago, I and the gunsmith went round and round about whether the project should be a .338-06, or a .30-06. In the end, we agreed that if the ammo didn't arrive with the rifle, I'd be totally screwed with a .338-06. However, with a .30-06 there's always a Plan B.

Since then, I've never once had lost ammo regardless of where I've landed.

My rifle arrived for my Cameroon hunt but bag and ammo did not. My bag arrived in country on day 4 but ammo was withheld at customs. I received my bag on day 9 in camp. I was glad I was using a 375 H&H and there was a few rounds ammo in camp.

On my buffalo trip last year the airline lost my checked bag with my ammo but the rifle arrived. Fortunately I got a WhatsApp off to my PH before arriving and he spent the day tracking down some 458 Lott ammo. Also a good reminder to have your essentials like binos and hunting boots in your carry on.

During our trip to Tanzania in 2023, KLM left my baggage (and ammo) behind in Amsterdam. It arrived two days later but was seized by Tanzanian customs because the original import permit wasn’t with the ammo, as it was in camp with my rifle. I ended up shooting most of my game with scavenged ammo in camp. It was fortunate it was a 375 H&H.

Four trips to southern Africa and everything showed up there fine be it luggage, bow cases, and rifle cases. Last trip my rifle case was delayed coming back by a day. It got to LA fine, but Delta oofed up getting it on my plane to Alaska. Also plenty of trips to and from the lower 48 from Alaska, only one delayed rifle, this past January. Again by a day and the airlines hauled it a couple hours out of Ft Lauderdale to where I was. As I recall there was all kinds of mayhem with bags then so I did relatively well.

My last hunt in Mozambique left me deposited in Beira with rifle, carry-on, and no checked bag with ammunition. They bag was eventually found in Johannesburg and reached me a week into a two-week hunt. Fortunately, my PH and friend located exactly nine .375 rounds. Had I used something more exotic, I would have been borrowing a rifle. It worked out, though the round count was a narrowly cut thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodlovetohunt

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.