Hard vs Soft vs Takedown vs full case for O/U

Taging653

Reaction score
I've seen where a lot of people say they use full length soft cases for hunting so they can just pull the gun out and go, and they use hard takedown cases at the gun range because there's more time to putz with stuff. Generally this is also how I've done it, but I may be about to change my mind..

I've also seen the point made that assembling / disassembling an OU is where the greatest likelihood of damage occurs - people drop forends, ding barrels and stocks etc. Also the club where I shoot has a good distance between sporting stations, requiring a car ride. So my gun ends up riding around in a back seat with no case.

What is your routine? Have you ever damaged a gun during assembly? Is there a reason not to use a full length soft case at the range?

I use a soft take-down case only when the shotgun won't fit into my car's trunk full assembled. I agree that too much unnecessary assembly/disassembly increases the chances of damage to the gun. I've seen plenty of parts dropped and stocks dinged as guys fumble with assembly at the trap/skeet/clays club. Typically, my shotguns go to the range fully assembled in a high-quality soft Boyt case. If I'm flying or traveling longer distances where security or added protection is necessary, then the shotgun is assembled inside of a soft Beretta or Wild Hare soft range slip then into a Pelican case. It's always nice to have at least a thin gun slip type case available, especially when you're in-out and around vehicles or carting around a clays range.

I find these relatively thin Wild Hare and Beretta slips to be great for range use when you have to walk or take a golf cart around a larger property. They don't have the super thick padding of a traditional soft case, but they do offer good protection and easy access on the range. I use them all the time in Europe where the guns typically have to be cased between stations or drives.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 15.47.44.png
Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 15.54.03.png

My long guns stay assembled most of the time. When I go to the rifle range, clays course or hunting fields they get put in a soft case for travel in a vehicle...where I am in control of handling the firearm. For shotguns, it's typically something like this...
1726176326819.png

When I plan on airline travel, the long guns are broken down to fit into a smaller package. This is for instances where I will not be the only one handling the case. This is for protection from the likes of ticket agents, baggage handlers and government personnel. I will also include a soft case to be used once we reach our destination and assemble the firearms.

1726176517420.png

I see no real benefit of taking down a firearm for going to the range unless there is a reason...like you can't fit a full sized soft case in your vehicle. However, I know some people who ALWAYS disassembly their firearms. And that's the way the ball bounces. Everybody has their own way for their own reasons.

Last edited:
Soft case. I only take the gun down for deep/thorough cleaning after a tournament or a heavy training session… they get stored assembled and stay assembled until it’s time to scrub them.. and then immediately after get reassembled..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
300win

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.