Happy Birthday to me..or it followed me home. Ruger Hawkeye African .280AI and a little surprise

flyfishdoc

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI Life Member
Went to my LGS today to pick up a Ruger M77 Hawkeye African .280 Ackley Improved I had ordered for my birthday.
While waiting for my background check to clear I checked the consignment rack and what to my wondering eyes should appear but this old
J. Manton Hammerlock 12g for 200 bucks.....
well its raining all weekend and I needed a project so home we went.
stocks not split. barrels no dents so here we go!
how did I do?
p.s. I know NOTHING about hammer guns...

Attachments

• IMG-1729.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG-1731.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG-1733.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG-1734.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG-1736.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG-1739.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG-1741.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 72
  • m2.pdf
    459 KB · Views: 67
  • ruger floor.pdf
    417.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Boomer - drwalker.timothy@gmail.com - Gmail.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
Congrats on the new adds!

this should be more user friendly...my age is showing..cant tell a jpeg from a pdf...I went to school with a slide rule. which I still have BTW :)

IMG-1729.jpg
IMG-1730.jpg
IMG-1731.jpg
IMG-1732.jpg
IMG-1733.jpg
IMG-1734.jpg
IMG-1736.jpg
IMG-1737.jpg
IMG-1738.jpg
IMG-1739.jpg
IMG-1740.jpg
IMG-1741.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-1729.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the purchases.
I like 7mm rifles and believe the .280ai has great potential.
Well, you always need a 12gauge even if it's for casual busting with freinds on occassion.

If that old shotgun doesn't live up to your expectations, it would make for excellent conversation as a mantel piece. It is 12 Ga. but what length sell does it take? All in all, it was an interesting purchase, let us know how she shoots.

If that old shotgun doesn't live up to your expectations, it would make for excellent conversation as a mantel piece. It is 12 Ga. but what length sell does it take? All in all, it was an interesting purchase, let us know how she shoots.

I think a safe bet is 2 5/8 or 2.5 inch shells.If truly 24 GM those will be low pressure loads for sure and a specialty loading or handloaded only.

375er, that is my suspicion as well, hence the reason I mentioned it. Maybe one of our more knowledgeable "old gun" and or "shotgun" users will chime in here.

375er, that is my suspicion as well, hence the reason I mentioned it. Maybe one of our more knowledgeable "old gun" and or "shotgun" users will chime in here.

The only way to know definitively is to measure the chambers. I would have that looked over by a compentent gunsmith familiar with older sxs before firing any shells through it. Likely safe but you don't want to find out the hard way.

Purchased it as a project to learn restoration. Currently reading a book by Diggory Hadoke on collecting and restoring the old beasts. he recommended finding a cheapie and start learning the process. so it fits the bill... I will measure chambers when I get home today and let y'all know.

Following along with anticipation. :)

They aren't real clear, but I believe those are indeed pre-1904 Birmingham proof marks, which would at least mean it isn't a old Belgian clunker hiding its lineage behind a British name (and "Manton" was abused a lot). It will have 2.5 inch chambers unless some shade tree enthusiast reamed them out.

Lots of poorly fitting tools have been twisting on those screws. No telling what you will find inside.

Three things to check before pulling a trigger. You need to find someone with a wall thickness gauge and measure the thinnest point between the chambers and the end of the forend. Secondly, take off the forend, leaving the barrels attached, and shake it. Any movement indicates it is off face - lots of movement means it may be dangerously off face. Finally, suspend the barrels from the forend latch and tap them with a wooden dowel (a hammer handle works well). They should ring like a bell. If you hear a "clunk" it means the barrel solder is failing. You haven't lived until you fire one of these old things and then find an inch of separation between the barrels.

Should all that pass, you might very well have great project gun.

How are you concluding it is a 14 bore?

You have the perfect guide in Diggory.

They aren't real clear, but I believe those are indeed pre-1904 Birmingham proof marks, which would at least mean it isn't a old Belgian clunker hiding its lineage behind a British name (and "Manton" was abused a lot). It will have 2.5 inch chambers unless some shade tree enthusiast reamed them out.

Lots of poorly fitting tools have been twisting on those screws. No telling what you will find inside.

Three things to check before pulling a trigger. You need to find someone with a wall thickness gauge and measure the thinnest point between the chambers and the end of the forend. Secondly, take off the forend, leaving the barrels attached, and shake it. Any movement indicates it is off face - lots of movement means it may be dangerously off face. Finally, suspend the barrels from the forend latch and tap them with a wooden dowel (a hammer handle works well). They should ring like a bell. If you hear a "clunk" it means the barrel solder is failing. You haven't lived until you fire one of these old things and then find an inch of separation between the barrels.

Should all that pass, you might very well have great project gun.

How are you concluding it is a 14 bore?

You have the perfect guide in Diggory.
Thanks for the info and help! I was just guessing about 14g....I truly know nothing about these but find them fascinating and figured best way to learn was to dive in. no plans to fire ATM. just read and learn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaDorri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.