Hankering for an R8

112Savage

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
So, current I’m on a kick for a short lightweight rifle for use with a suppressor in 30-06. In looking for this rifle two totally different packages came to mind. A tikka T3x veil wideland and Blaser R8. There is one problem… I’m left handed and refuse to bow to the “just reach over the top” crowd. The t3x veil wideland in 30-06 20” barrel isn’t currently imported into the USA so that would be a custom barrel or wait and see if they change in January.

The R8… top dog guns global has a very nice carbon fiber stock for the R8 jaeger action. Does anyone have one of these? The jaeger receiver and carbon fiber stocks are significantly more expensive than the professional style action and stock. Also for the 30-06 has anyone used blasers 20” barrel? I would really be keen on a fluted and threaded one but they’re crazy expensive.

I know this sounds crazy but I really don’t want a 308 Winchester. Even in a short barrel the 30-06 still has a speed advantage. What do you guys think? Left hand, light weight, 30-06, suppressor, do-it-all rifle.

Look at overall length with the barrel length you would prefer. The Tikka, in spite of the twisted bolt and odd pistol grip, is essentially a conventional bolt action. The R8 design puts the trigger underneath the magazine for a much more compact rifle in the same caliber. This can add two to three inches to a barrel if one is determined to use a can. For instance a 20" Blaser barrel in '06 essentially would give you the equivalent of a 18" barrel on the Tikka.

Curious why the Jaeger specifically? I have one in steel, but it would make a pretty heavy rifle in 30-06. I think they typically come with a semi-weight barrel which again helps create a heavy rifle. For instance when set up as a .375, I much prefer the alloy receiver in either the all wood classic form or the professional using the standard weight barrel.

My first R8 was the Jaeger and I purchased it with a semi-weight .300 WM barrel. It is now set up with a standard weight barrel. A semi-weight fluted barrel would offer a similar weight saving, but as you noted, they are expensive.

So the guy putting these together is using the jaeger alloy receiver and a carbon fiber aftermarket stock set. With a standard barrel he says it weighs 6 pounds. The short length of the receiver and light weight of the Jaeger with this carbon fiber stock set is why I was drawn to this setup versus a traditional bolt action.

So, current I’m on a kick for a short lightweight rifle for use with a suppressor in 30-06. In looking for this rifle two totally different packages came to mind. A tikka T3x veil wideland and Blaser R8. There is one problem… I’m left handed and refuse to bow to the “just reach over the top” crowd. The t3x veil wideland in 30-06 20” barrel isn’t currently imported into the USA so that would be a custom barrel or wait and see if they change in January.

The R8… top dog guns global has a very nice carbon fiber stock for the R8 jaeger action. Does anyone have one of these? The jaeger receiver and carbon fiber stocks are significantly more expensive than the professional style action and stock. Also for the 30-06 has anyone used blasers 20” barrel? I would really be keen on a fluted and threaded one but they’re crazy expensive.

I know this sounds crazy but I really don’t want a 308 Winchester. Even in a short barrel the 30-06 still has a speed advantage. What do you guys think? Left hand, light weight, 30-06, suppressor, do-it-all rifle.
I'm a left handed R8 pro success owner for three years. I kick myself for not saving to buy sooner. You really need to hold the stock and feel how comfortable the pro success is.... absolutely a fantastic rifle.

First of all I do not think you can compare a Blaser to a Tikka. I love my Tikkas, and they are superbly accurate, but the R8 is at a next level in terms of fit and finish. That said, Tikka has always been some of the best value for money.

I own three Tikkas, an old M695 6,5x55, a T3 Supervarmint .243 for gongs and playing at one or two PRS Hunter shoots, and a 20” CTR .308 Winchester, that came threaded from the factory. The latter being a dedicated bushpig and client rifle, fitted with a thermal at night, and a Z5 3,5-18x44 for plainsgame.

To weigh in on your question, really consider a reflex suppressor for whichever rifle you buy. I use a Hausken 184 on my 20” Tikka .308, and given the fact that 84mm of the 184mm sits over the barrel, the rifle now only has an effective 24” barrel with the can on. I also like the feature that you can open the silencer to clean it. The Scandinavians seem to be the world leaders when it comes to suppressors, the other really good option for a short lightweight suppressor to consider is one of the Fryer & Devik models.

I was big into custom light weight synthetic stocks, fluted bolts and fluted short barrels, etc etc to save weight for a mountain elk hunt because lighter is better. Who needs to carry all that weight?? Then I looked at all my stuff and decided on a wholistic approach. Reduced the weight of my boots, my day pack and what was in it. Got rid of my larger belt knife and purchased a good knife with a 4” blade. My “heavy” coat was replaced by a new lighter model. Left my camera but got a better phone (with a better camera) and then the biggest weight savings of all! Lost 12 pounds of love handles. I use an R8 Professional with normal profile barrels in 300 WBY and .375 H&H Mag. I have other barrels but use these the most. I have a Safari stock with steel receiver and KickStop but that is only used with my .458 Lott barrel. Also found I shoot better with the R8 than with lighter rifles. Personally, I’d go with an R8 Pro and standard weight barrels. Light enough, soirt enough, left hand available and can be used with othe barrels in the future.

I’m not chasing weight for sheep hunting. I have other rifles in the 8-10 pound range but I was looking at getting a do-it-all workhorse rifle that would finish just below 8 pounds with careful scope selection.

I lost 25 pounds in the last two years I’m 35 years old, just looking for a new tool. Also I was kinda putting feelers out there for people who have used this stock and whether they liked it or not

Tikkas are terrific rifles. Very accurate and durable for the price point.

But the R8 really is a better mousetrap. I used one extensively while living and hunting in the UK and it will definitely be the next rifle I own. I've sold a Christensen 300 WM and a custom CZ 375 and both will be replaced with an R8 Professional with an alloy receiver and semi-weight barrels. As @Red Leg said, they are shorter and are perfect shooting suppressed.

... I’m left handed and refuse to bow to the “just reach over the top” crowd. ...
Lefty here as well. I was going to get a rifle built for .300 RUM as my PG rifle. Then, I read @One Day... review of the R8 and ordered a lefty version of it with the Savanna Pro stock. It has already hunted in 3 countries successfully.

Just do it! And if you don’t like it sell it and buy something else….

Yup, you will not find anyone around here saying “nah you don’t need another gun” :ROFLMAO:

The "One day" thread about blasers is absolutely where you should start - best overall explanation of the system that i found (unfortunately... after doing my own research for 3 months.)

I recommend you check out the site blaserbuds as well if you're still in the exploratory phase.
There's an importer in Tennessee preparing to place an order of Raven (Spain) carbon fiber stocks.
I'm going to put an M82 on a fluted 300WM in 17mm barrel and a 2nd 375 standard 17mm.
If my calcs are correct, (and they usually are,) I'm going to be reducing approx 2lbs over an off-the-shelf ultimate blaser stock.

I'm a big fan of the adjustable comb (cheek) and LOP, especially if swapping barrels with other sights.
For example, my 300WM will have a 3-15x on 30mm rings but my 375 will likely have an aimpoint with iron sights as a backup. My German, Irish, Norwegian (northern euro-mutt) face likes a raised cheek riser and as much cheek weld as I can get. I don't shoot with my head floating in the air. Style preferences i guess.

I find I need a shorter LOP when prone than seated or off sticks.

As mentioned above, it's really well developed. I've gone through customs, trigger installs, barrel upgrades, pillar & bedding, etc., and ended up at almost the same place as a blaser off the shelf.

I have one of these top dog synthetic stock Blaser R8 in 375 H&H. Very light weight and accurate.

HH

Depending on what barrels you think you might need in the future, you could include the Sauer 404 which might save you a little over the Blaser. Short overall length but no straight pull bolt And I’m hearing Sauer’s new rifle that will be coming out will be compatible with the 404.

A rifle that is too lightweight I find to be less accurate in field conditions. Off the bench, a light gun might shoot great, but that 9 lb rifle will hold more steadily when actually hunting.

I suspect that the designers evaluated overall weight when coming to the creation of the R8. I believe they were spot on. I hunt with an ultimate stock and wish I could add a kick stop along with the built in recoil device. Not for recoil so much as weight. My kids Pro stocks with the kick stop is really quite perfect to shoot.
My two cents is to avoid the ultralight stock design.

I’m a Blaser fan with 3 stocks and 7 barrels. The left handed bolt option is very simple and swaps on a stock in seconds. It is easy to collect a few extra pieces/parts as you go along.

I have 4 barrels being threaded now for suppressors.

A rifle that is too lightweight I find to be less accurate in field conditions. Off the bench, a light gun might shoot great, but that 9 lb rifle will hold more steadily when actually hunting.

I suspect that the designers evaluated overall weight when coming to the creation of the R8. I believe they were spot on. I hunt with an ultimate stock and wish I could add a kick stop along with the built in recoil device. Not for recoil so much as weight. My kids Pro stocks with the kick stop is really quite perfect to shoot.
My two cents is to avoid the ultralight stock design.

I’m a Blaser fan with 3 stocks and 7 barrels. The left handed bolt option is very simple and swaps on a stock in seconds. It is easy to collect a few extra pieces/parts as you go along.

I have 4 barrels being threaded now for suppressors.
Who are you having thread your barrels? What thread pattern are you using? 17mm standard barrels? My local gunsmith was unsure if the nitrided barrels would be difficult to thread due to the hardness. He’s a good gunsmith just doesn’t see many Blasers around here.

So I’m a bit overwhelmed with the scope mounting options. I’ve read through the posts by @One Day... but couldn’t find what I was looking for.
What is the lightest ring mount or base/ring set for a Blaser?

Who are you having thread your barrels? What thread pattern are you using? 17mm standard barrels? My local gunsmith was unsure if the nitrided barrels would be difficult to thread due to the hardness. He’s a good gunsmith just doesn’t see many Blasers around here.
A local gunsmith in the Minneapolis area. I think it is 5/8-24. All 17mm barrels. The smith informs me he will have to use a different cutting tool due to the barrel hardness. For the long term plan, I’d like to always hunt with a suppressor. The newer suppressor models are shorter and very light.

I was big into custom light weight synthetic stocks, fluted bolts and fluted short barrels, etc etc to save weight for a mountain elk hunt because lighter is better. Who needs to carry all that weight?? Then I looked at all my stuff and decided on a wholistic approach. Reduced the weight of my boots, my day pack and what was in it. Got rid of my larger belt knife and purchased a good knife with a 4” blade. My “heavy” coat was replaced by a new lighter model. Left my camera but got a better phone (with a better camera) and then the biggest weight savings of all! Lost 12 pounds of love handles. I use an R8 Professional with normal profile barrels in 300 WBY and .375 H&H Mag. I have other barrels but use these the most. I have a Safari stock with steel receiver and KickStop but that is only used with my .458 Lott barrel. Also found I shoot better with the R8 than with lighter rifles. Personally, I’d go with an R8 Pro and standard weight barrels. Light enough, soirt enough, left hand available and can be used with othe barrels in the future.
I hunt with the R8 pro in the standard 17 mm barrel profile. It has a left handed bolt and one of my favorite rifles to use. With a swaro Z6i 1.7 to 10 and saddle mount it tips the scale at 8.5 lbs. In calibers like the 340 Weatherby or my 9.3x64 which weighs 8lb , I wouldn’t want them any lighter. At this weight recoil is fine and the synthetic stock with a standard limb saver pad really soak up any recoil.
The R8 is a great concept, a well designed stock makes it a pleasure to hold and shoot. With a 26” barrel in mag calibers it still is the same length as a normal 22” rifle. The trigger is superb, very accurate and being able to change caliber in about 60 seconds what’s not to like. Go for it, you’ll will wished you did it years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francisgriffin2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia