Handguns for women

I teach a Female Firearms/Self Defense class once a month and after over 20 years of doing so I’ll offer these observations. As a general rule, females have much less grip strength than men and as such a revolver with a double action trigger pull is difficult. Also, because of less arm strength, manual cycling of semi autos can also be problematic. As an husband don’t pick it for her and tell her this is what she needs to carry. Under no circumstances allow the average gun store counter help to make any recommendations as to what she should purchase/carry…..they don’t have a clue. (That’s a rabbit hole for another day). With the above caveats, assemble your own selection or take her to a range where she can fire a selection for herself and let her help make her own choice. I have ladies every month show up with something that doesn’t work for them and hear all the stories about how they were pressured by a sales guy or husband etc and the pistol doesn’t fit, can’t pull trigger, etc.. I would rather have a lady with a 380 that they can shoot well stoked with good ammo than a 9/38 that doesn’t work. As a general rule if they can handle it let them shoot what works.

Nothing for nothing, my wife fits into the grip/arm strength issues above and what she selected for her daily carry is a Glock 43 9mm with a TLR6 light. She shoots it well and can function it without issues. Just my .02.

A considerations for new shooters and particularly women. Hand strength. Operating a semi auto, especially in a stressful moment, can be difficult. I have helped several women in my circle begin shooting and their ability to pull the slide to load or to clear a jam can be limited. A small revolver is somewhat like a hammer in my mind. It just keeps working. Not difficult to operate or understand. Very few moving pieces to contend with. In my opinion, a better option for new or inexperienced shooters is a revolver. YMMV.
Jody

I teach a Female Firearms/Self Defense class once a month and after over 20 years of doing so I’ll offer these observations. As a general rule, females have much less grip strength than men and as such a revolver with a double action trigger pull is difficult. Also, because of less arm strength, manual cycling of semi autos can also be problematic. As an husband don’t pick it for her and tell her this is what she needs to carry. Under no circumstances allow the average gun store counter help to make any recommendations as to what she should purchase/carry…..they don’t have a clue. (That’s a rabbit hole for another day). With the above caveats, assemble your own selection or take her to a range where she can fire a selection for herself and let her help make her own choice. I have ladies every month show up with something that doesn’t work for them and hear all the stories about how they were pressured by a sales guy or husband etc and the pistol doesn’t fit, can’t pull trigger, etc.. I would rather have a lady with a 380 that they can shoot well stoked with good ammo than a 9/38 that doesn’t work. As a general rule if they can handle it let them shoot what works.

Nothing for nothing, my wife fits into the grip/arm strength issues above and what she selected for her daily carry is a Glock 43 9mm with a TLR6 light. She shoots it well and can function it without issues. Just my .02.
@Hillcountry63 - I think you nailed it…Every point you made is Spot-On ! You also made sure to include consideration of the .380 and that makes sense too.
I have shoot Sig P227’s and like them but my Wife would Not be able to handle them or rack-a-round. Even the Sig P232, a fine .380 in stainless, is very stiff to rack a round and also heavy for a .380….but still recoils stoutly.
Let the Wife decide, let her pick (just like everything else in a Marriage !!)YOU just pay for it.

Glock...19, 26 or 43x all MOS depending on hand size and fit. If you go with the 43x stick with 115's the 147's are stout. Get good night sights and a decent RDS and have a great day. No need to over think this.

@Hillcountry63 - I think you nailed it…Every point you made is Spot-On ! You also made sure to include consideration of the .380 and that makes sense too.
I have shoot Sig P227’s and like them but my Wife would Not be able to handle them or rack-a-round. Even the Sig P232, a fine .380 in stainless, is very stiff to rack a round and also heavy for a .380….but still recoils stoutly.
Let the Wife decide, let her pick (just like everything else in a Marriage !!)YOU just pay for it.
Yes, let the lady decide which gun feels right to her. This is important. My wife can shoot my 1911 .45 ACP well but is comfortable with a 5 shot .38 Special revolver.

A Smith &Wesson Model 60, or for lighter weight, a 642 DAO, with a smooth trigger pull is essential. For some women, racking the slide of a semi auto can be difficult in a stressful situation.

For a semi-auto choice, the Smith & Wesson MP in .380 is a very good choice, very easy to rack the slide, change mags, and shoot accurately. The Mossberg semiauto equivalent is also an easy to handle pistol.

Personally, I don't prefer these, but the ergonomics are excellent.

The lady must feel confident to handle and shoot the pistol, whether it is a .22 Magnum pocket revolver, or a SIG P365. The Glock 43 is a good choice also.

My wife doesn't carry, but her bedside is a stainless S&W 686 loaded with .38 sp +P. It has a grip activated laser. Simple, minimum recoil, and easy to point and shoot.

I counseled several new shooters, both men and women. I would recommend a 357 mag revolver 9 times out of 10 because of the additional weight, ability to shoot 357MAG, 38SPL+P+ and 38SPL. @Red Leg mentioned the S&W 686 which is a great platform in stainless steel and can be had in a variety of barrel lengths. Many ranges rent pistols just like this, so it would be easy to go and do a "test drive".

Additionally there is a level of training needed to be able to operate a semiautomatic pistol as well as grip strength that many women do not have. The new shooter getting a pistol like this will need to dedicate a significant amount of time to training in order to master these skills.

With a revolver the skills still need to be practiced, but if it doesn't go BANG...pull the trigger again. None of this tap, rack...etc. Simply point and squeeze the trigger.

Once they have mastered that, I would consider moving on to a semiautomatic pistol if they want to.

EDIT - My mother carries a S&W 649 (stainless, snub-nose & shrouded hammer 357MAG) loaded with 38SPL ammo and absolutely loves it.

My wife and I both carry a Glock 43.. hers has a crimson trace grip activated laser and she loves it.. She tried the Ruger LCR in 38 special and it was pretty much a hand cannon to her :LOL:

The AMT Backup is quite conveniently sized and comes in a variety of calibres including .380 ACP, .38 Super, 9mm Para, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. They were designed specifically as a self-defense pistol or a backup pistol for LEO.

Used ones in .380 are pretty common and should be found for $400USD or less and I've seen .45ACP for similar. The rest I've never looked for.

For me it comes down to what you will actually carry (comfortable, concealable, shootable) and what you can actually use (simple, simple, simple) in a lifetime-maximum stressful situation. A small revolver in .380 ACP or .38 special seems about right. It would certainly turn me around.

A month ago I was using an unfamiliar Sako rifle in .375 H&H. I was trying to get a 2nd round into a kudu right before dark and apparently I short-stroked the action. The audible "click" when we caught up with the kudu was a massive surprise. I instantly knew what I had done. Fortunately, the kudu was plenty sick and he wasn't going anywhere. Easily fixed....... BUT this is is DG rifle. Doing something this stupid with a buffalo or lion can get a guy killed. In my favor was that the rifle belonged to the PH and I'd only used it for a day or two. Against me was that I've used long-action bolt guns for decades -- certainly long enough to know better. I've thought about this frequently these last few weeks.

The point..... This situation wasn't really that stressful, but in a life-or-death close-quarters confrontation with the world's most dangerous animal (humans), something immensely simple that can be used purely from muscle memory is the way to go. Clearing a stovepipe jam or needing to cycle the slide simply isn't going to happen. Whatever is going to happen takes place in a second, maybe two. Up to 10 or 20 feet away, a short revolver is good enough. Beyond that, it's probably better to make tracks anyhow.

I’m looking for advise between a 38 special and a 9mm
Mieke,
I am a long-time female firearms instructor. I also provide other firearms research, education, and discussion services in my community. I have taught many ladies in my classes; I have yet to teach ladies-only classes. Any issues one may find operating a firearm can be identified for both men and women. At the end of my writing, I’ve listed links to the products I discuss here.

I will provide basic suggestions for a start point. Feel free to ask for further information.

1) If you are asking the question of which caliber to purchase, take a basic firearms class from a reputable, well-known instructor in your area before you purchase a gun. Make sure they have firearms in the calibers you are interested in for you to try. Make sure they are willing to spend extra time with you or meet with you after class. Talk to them about your concerns before you sign up for the class. Shots taken for defensive accuracy with a .380, a 9mm or .38 special will stop a human threat. It is up to you to learn to take the accurate shots; the caliber or gun can’t do that for you. With the right gun and training, you can likely handle any of those three calibers effectively.

2) If you are starting your search for either a .380 or 9mm, please look carefully at the SIG SAUER Rose. I own the entire P365 line with the exception of the .380, including the X-MACRO and additionally a Wilson Combat version of one of the P365s. I own two Roses, the original P365 nitron, and the XL. (The 9mm Rose is an XL model with the comp slits added to mitigate felt recoil.) (I also have a .380 in the S&W M&P Shield E-Z slide, as well as their .9mm, two other popular handguns you could consider. I also agree with posters that the Glock 43 is a good choice, as well as some of the CZ P-10 models.)

SIG is the only company I know of that has made a 100% commitment to the female shooter. This isn’t just something advertised as a gun designed to fit a smaller hand, as most manufacturers say ergonomically, but a full commitment to its Rose line and ongoing education.

The spokesperson for the Rose is Lena Miculek. I’ll let you do your homework. She is Jerry Miculek’s daughter and a top shooter in her own right. SIG supports Lena in offering online education. Their SIG instructors travel the United States, with Lena and team giving workshops and training. Find a class scheduled in your area and learn from some of the best before you purchase a gun.

Sig also sponsors the SIG SAUER Rose Community on Facebook. I have provided a link below. There are currently over 17K members. It is ladies-only and a welcoming place where you will get answers; sometimes, Lena Miculek chimes in, too.

3) Will you want an optic right away, or do you think you will want one in the future—or a laser? If you think you will want or need an RMR, you need to decide that upfront so you can purchase your semi with a slide cut for the optic. That might determine what RMR you will mount, as I’d advise staying away from plate adapters. If your slide is not pre-cut, you would have to send it out to be milled or purchase a pre-cut one. Most semis these days do come cut for optics.

If you will use a RMR, please read “Red Dot Mastery” by Mike Ochsner and Aaron Cowan’s white paper at his website at SageDynamics. There is no point in having an optic if we don’t understand how our eyes capture a scene and how our brain visualizes what our eyes capture, and how our body reacts when we anticipate a move. Cowan’s white paper covers much of this, as does Ochsner’s book. Ochsner is a neurology-based firearms instructor. Also consider taking a “red dot transition” class in your local area—again, seek out a knowledgeable instructor. If you can find one with a law enforcement background who provides current training not only to their peers but also to the public, that would be a good choice.

For carry-size revolvers, your choice would be a laser. For years, I carried a Ruger SP101. I have a 4”, a 3”, and a 2.5”. If you choose a revolver, one of those would be my choice. These are chambered in .357 magnum, and you can chamber .38 special in them. Please buy a revolver with a visible hammer--not a shrouded or internal hammer, or you will not be able to shoot in single action. (S&W and Colt both have excellent short barrel revolvers, but they will be more expensive.)

3) Are you going to carry on or off your body? Think about that before you make a purchase. Understand how you will carry. You need to do a self-assessment. What you wear, where you go, your abilities, and your body shape. (Take a concealed carry class in your location to understand the laws of what you can and cannot do.)

For on-body carry, I suggest the Enigma Holsters for ladies and many men. Phlster Holsters not only designed the Enigma from a physical aspect but is now providing online conference classes to help users customize their holster rigs to their body type and activity. Get on their email list. The Enigma holster group is another company dedicated to making sure we completely understand the proper use of their product—that goes beyond initial sales.

I have three Enigma Holster rigs, one each for my different size SIG P365s.

Off-body carry, I suggest Zendira purses. There are no zippers to open the concealed compartments. They use a magnetic approach. I have three of these in different styles. The Friday collection is perfect for me. Leather is top quality, execution is flawless. Some models come with trigger guard holsters, but you can add a Velcro sticky back holster to your order. I am not a fan of trigger guard holsters anywhere except on a belt. The re-holstering activity can be unsafe if the trigger guard holster is on a lanyard in a compartment. I also purchase my flat sticky back P365 model holsters from both SIG SAUER and Crossbreed, but if you purchase a different model gun, Crossbreed likely makes one for that model.

I am going to stop here. Again, if you have questions, please ask on this forum. I also have Glocks, other SIG handguns, and other brand models that I own or have tried and feel confident in recommending (or not). But you have to start somewhere.

SIG supports a range rental program, and I believe Glock may, too. If you have a rental range in your area, they may have the models and calibers you want to try out.

My point in taking the time to write all this out is that what you purchase fits into a “system”—a system of how you will operate and use your gun within your capabilities. If you purchase a “caliber” or a “model” of gun based on a caliber, you may fall short of the other considerations you will need to be accurate, self-assured, carry your gun comfortably, and enjoy practicing.

Laura (see below for links)

Enigma Holsters: https://www.phlsterholsters.com (check links/videos under “Learn)

Red Dot Mastery: https://tinyurl.com/58ukw53b (he also has a website)

Sage Dynamics/Aaron Cowan: https://www.sagedynamics.org/ (scroll down for white paper)

Sig Sauer Rose: https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-xl-comp-rose.html https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-rose-xl-comp.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-380-rose.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/rose.html

Sig Academy: https://sigsaueracademy.com/ (look under courses and experience)

Sig Sauer Rose Facebook Page (17+K members): https://www.facebook.com/groups/rosecommunitysigsauer/

Zendira Handbags: https://zendira.com/

Crossbreed Holsters: https://www.crossbreedholsters.com

S&W M&P Shield EZ slide guns: https://www.smith-wesson.com/products/shield-ez

CZ P-10 series: https://cz-usa.com/cz-p-10-series/

Grip, Grip, Grip.

Find a store/training center that allows her to shoot all the brands before buying.

Start with a local quality instructor. Then find one of the many ex military instructors that travel to many of the states and hold classes. Then get real life training.

Of all the military branches, the Green Berets specialty is training, so if possible, find a Green Beret or a Delta instructor for real life human shooting instruction. They have more real experience shooting humans in one week than a swat team members lifetime.

It does her no good to carry it. If not truly prepared to draw it.

My wife migrated to a S&W M&P performance center Shield 9mm

Mieke,
I am a long-time female firearms instructor. I also provide other firearms research, education, and discussion services in my community. I have taught many ladies in my classes; I have yet to teach ladies-only classes. Any issues one may find operating a firearm can be identified for both men and women. At the end of my writing, I’ve listed links to the products I discuss here.

I will provide basic suggestions for a start point. Feel free to ask for further information.

1) If you are asking the question of which caliber to purchase, take a basic firearms class from a reputable, well-known instructor in your area before you purchase a gun. Make sure they have firearms in the calibers you are interested in for you to try. Make sure they are willing to spend extra time with you or meet with you after class. Talk to them about your concerns before you sign up for the class. Shots taken for defensive accuracy with a .380, a 9mm or .38 special will stop a human threat. It is up to you to learn to take the accurate shots; the caliber or gun can’t do that for you. With the right gun and training, you can likely handle any of those three calibers effectively.

2) If you are starting your search for either a .380 or 9mm, please look carefully at the SIG SAUER Rose. I own the entire P365 line with the exception of the .380, including the X-MACRO and additionally a Wilson Combat version of one of the P365s. I own two Roses, the original P365 nitron, and the XL. (The 9mm Rose is an XL model with the comp slits added to mitigate felt recoil.) (I also have a .380 in the S&W M&P Shield E-Z slide, as well as their .9mm, two other popular handguns you could consider. I also agree with posters that the Glock 43 is a good choice, as well as some of the CZ P-10 models.)

SIG is the only company I know of that has made a 100% commitment to the female shooter. This isn’t just something advertised as a gun designed to fit a smaller hand, as most manufacturers say ergonomically, but a full commitment to its Rose line and ongoing education.

The spokesperson for the Rose is Lena Miculek. I’ll let you do your homework. She is Jerry Miculek’s daughter and a top shooter in her own right. SIG supports Lena in offering online education. Their SIG instructors travel the United States, with Lena and team giving workshops and training. Find a class scheduled in your area and learn from some of the best before you purchase a gun.

Sig also sponsors the SIG SAUER Rose Community on Facebook. I have provided a link below. There are currently over 17K members. It is ladies-only and a welcoming place where you will get answers; sometimes, Lena Miculek chimes in, too.

3) Will you want an optic right away, or do you think you will want one in the future—or a laser? If you think you will want or need an RMR, you need to decide that upfront so you can purchase your semi with a slide cut for the optic. That might determine what RMR you will mount, as I’d advise staying away from plate adapters. If your slide is not pre-cut, you would have to send it out to be milled or purchase a pre-cut one. Most semis these days do come cut for optics.

If you will use a RMR, please read “Red Dot Mastery” by Mike Ochsner and Aaron Cowan’s white paper at his website at SageDynamics. There is no point in having an optic if we don’t understand how our eyes capture a scene and how our brain visualizes what our eyes capture, and how our body reacts when we anticipate a move. Cowan’s white paper covers much of this, as does Ochsner’s book. Ochsner is a neurology-based firearms instructor. Also consider taking a “red dot transition” class in your local area—again, seek out a knowledgeable instructor. If you can find one with a law enforcement background who provides current training not only to their peers but also to the public, that would be a good choice.

For carry-size revolvers, your choice would be a laser. For years, I carried a Ruger SP101. I have a 4”, a 3”, and a 2.5”. If you choose a revolver, one of those would be my choice. These are chambered in .357 magnum, and you can chamber .38 special in them. Please buy a revolver with a visible hammer--not a shrouded or internal hammer, or you will not be able to shoot in single action. (S&W and Colt both have excellent short barrel revolvers, but they will be more expensive.)

3) Are you going to carry on or off your body? Think about that before you make a purchase. Understand how you will carry. You need to do a self-assessment. What you wear, where you go, your abilities, and your body shape. (Take a concealed carry class in your location to understand the laws of what you can and cannot do.)

For on-body carry, I suggest the Enigma Holsters for ladies and many men. Phlster Holsters not only designed the Enigma from a physical aspect but is now providing online conference classes to help users customize their holster rigs to their body type and activity. Get on their email list. The Enigma holster group is another company dedicated to making sure we completely understand the proper use of their product—that goes beyond initial sales.

I have three Enigma Holster rigs, one each for my different size SIG P365s.

Off-body carry, I suggest Zendira purses. There are no zippers to open the concealed compartments. They use a magnetic approach. I have three of these in different styles. The Friday collection is perfect for me. Leather is top quality, execution is flawless. Some models come with trigger guard holsters, but you can add a Velcro sticky back holster to your order. I am not a fan of trigger guard holsters anywhere except on a belt. The re-holstering activity can be unsafe if the trigger guard holster is on a lanyard in a compartment. I also purchase my flat sticky back P365 model holsters from both SIG SAUER and Crossbreed, but if you purchase a different model gun, Crossbreed likely makes one for that model.

I am going to stop here. Again, if you have questions, please ask on this forum. I also have Glocks, other SIG handguns, and other brand models that I own or have tried and feel confident in recommending (or not). But you have to start somewhere.

SIG supports a range rental program, and I believe Glock may, too. If you have a rental range in your area, they may have the models and calibers you want to try out.

My point in taking the time to write all this out is that what you purchase fits into a “system”—a system of how you will operate and use your gun within your capabilities. If you purchase a “caliber” or a “model” of gun based on a caliber, you may fall short of the other considerations you will need to be accurate, self-assured, carry your gun comfortably, and enjoy practicing.

Laura (see below for links)

Enigma Holsters: https://www.phlsterholsters.com (check links/videos under “Learn)

Red Dot Mastery: https://tinyurl.com/58ukw53b (he also has a website)

Sage Dynamics/Aaron Cowan: https://www.sagedynamics.org/ (scroll down for white paper)

Sig Sauer Rose: https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-xl-comp-rose.html https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-rose-xl-comp.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-380-rose.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/rose.html

Sig Academy: https://sigsaueracademy.com/ (look under courses and experience)

Sig Sauer Rose Facebook Page (17+K members): https://www.facebook.com/groups/rosecommunitysigsauer/

Zendira Handbags: https://zendira.com/

Crossbreed Holsters: https://www.crossbreedholsters.com

S&W M&P Shield EZ slide guns: https://www.smith-wesson.com/products/shield-ez

CZ P-10 series: https://cz-usa.com/cz-p-10-series/
@Laura AK64north

Loved this post! Thank you for taking the time to post so much info along with links because you listed some products I am going to go have a look at. I know it wasn’t in response to a post of mine, but several users here will find it helpful!

I found this holster absolutely genius. It allows a woman to carry on her in a concealed fashion, and with the weight of the gun being distributed across the entire bra, it’s not a heavy burden that’s difficult to bear.

The above mentioned advice about getting her to shoot and handle several options is the best advice. She will quickly determine which she likes and what feels the best.
Training is also a really good idea - I’ve been to many different courses with different focuses and I will say that my favorite instructor who offers classes to the public is Chris Costa - Costa Ludus Training. Chris has a great personality, highly proficient in his craft and has great success in elevating skill sets.
My only piece of advice for picking a self defense weapon is to keep it simple. Striker fire (sig 365, Glock, etc..) or a basic S&W 637/642 are solid options. In high stress situations simple is always the best path to ensure success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yobarb

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.