Handgun for wolf protection

I am aware of one instance of coyotes killing a human. It occurred in Cape Breton a few years back. A pack of coyotes killed a woman out jogging. The maritimes is an oddity when it comes to coyotes. For whatever reason they’re huge, some going 60 to 80 pounds. I remember when the first coyotes showed up there in the ‘80’s. I shot one and could not believe the size of it. I’ve never heard a good explanation for this as this is not the case in other parts of Canada that I know of.
WAB, although very rare there are documented instances in the past 10 years of Coyotes attacking children (no fatalities) - one was in Middletown NJ 7-10 years ago, others a toddler recently in California and there is video of that one. But I certainly wouldn’t let that affect where or how my children play, any neighborhood Dog could do the same thing….and often do.

Here's what I hike with...I've put some checkered wooden grips on it since this photo...

51056170916_56a59511b4_b.jpg

I would not use this in grizzly country but I'm nowhere near grizzly country. There are so many load offerings including a Hornady load with a .41 caliber slug followed by two 000 buck. The Winchester disks/pellet loads but the load it shoots best is the Federal handgun loads with four 000 copper-plated buckshot. It's stainless steel so I don't have to worry about sweating on it or getting it wet. It's simple to load and with a safety, and rebounding hammer, it's very safe to carry. You won't win a shoot out with a gang shooting Glocks with 30 round happy sticks so don't start a gun fight with it. But for pesky critters and creeps on a hiking trail, it's perfect. It's actually very, very fun to shoot at the range too...albeit a little expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am aware of one instance of coyotes killing a human. It occurred in Cape Breton a few years back. A pack of coyotes killed a woman out jogging. The maritimes is an oddity when it comes to coyotes. For whatever reason they’re huge, some going 60 to 80 pounds. I remember when the first coyotes showed up there in the ‘80’s. I shot one and could not believe the size of it. I’ve never heard a good explanation for this as this is not the case in other parts of Canada that I know of.
I wish I had kept the link. There was a DNA study on coyotes. The bigger ones have some wolf DNA in them. This makes them bigger and more aggressive compared to the small western coyote. If I have time and can find the article, I will post a link.
I have had a pack of coyotes trail my kids and I on a long hike. Not as big as a wolf but still unnerving and the buggers were pretty brazen.

For all practical purposes Colorado doesn't have wolves and there are very few in the entire Rocky mountains; there is very little chance that you'd even see one. I hunt grouse with a dog in prime wolf country in northern Minnesota. MN has a wolf population of around 3000, second only to Alaska with around 7000. I've seen a few over the years but believe me they want nothing to do with you. Colorado released 10. Put your fears aside, Little Red Ridding Hood is a fable. I will say that I am careful when I see some sign but it's more about the dog that my personal safety; best to find another trail to hunt.

I think we can all agree the likelihood of a wolf/mountain lion/black bear/grizzly bear/eastern coyote/feral hog/moose/feral dog/wolverine/badger/rabid red squirrel attack is quite low. However, add in the % probability of 2 legged predators and you might be in the same total probability of a “problem” hiking as the probability of winning the Powerball lottery jackpot and I know a LOT of people throw buy lottery tickets.
So, buying a handgun and training with it to become proficient to be ready for the probability of a bad thing while dreaming about what you’d spend the Powerball jackpot on if you win is smart. Also a great excuse to buy another gun.
And even a 22lr is better than your half empty water if something bad happens. But the largest hardest hitting caliber that someone is comfortable shooting accurately would be preferred as more energy is needed as critters get bigger.

My wife hunts grouse alone, she carries and has had problems with some guys 'til they see the handgun. I would think the shotgun would be enough of a deterrent. So yeah, two legged animals could be an issue for some.

We have had dogs killed by wolves while running cats, see them frequently also while out hunting, they are hard to get a shot at since we started hunting them. Only time I have ever been concerned with wolves was one night about 10:30 I was packing the last of the elk quarters out and I could hear them in the timber around me. I wasn’t scared of them but they were damn close to me. That is a plus about being in griz country, it takes your mind off the cats and the wolves. I’m more worried about running into little red riding hood, she would do more to hurt you than a damn wolf. A wolf won’t take half your stuff when you piss them off!
To the OP’s question though. Anything is better than nothing, and I feel you are an idiot to be anywhere outside of the home without being in arms reach of a gun. If they don’t like a handgun, the little PCC’s slip into the pocket of most packs. I have a keltec that folds in half that fits perfectly in the side pocket of my eberlestock pack. Gives you a little more distance if needed also. As far as pistolas go though, I like the Glock 20 or a S&W 329PD, they make me feel fuzzy inside knowing they are setting in the middle of my chest in a Diamond D holster. It is the best holster I’ve found for wearing a pack, rafting, riding a horse or quad, doesn’t jab you when you jump in the truck! Check em out!

Woodcarver, You should Never ever go hiking without a LAWYER and for extended wilderness trips take two or three along with you.
Agreed! And even better reason to carry that compact shovel!

Lightning kills 20 people per year in the USA.

I’m not claiming people injure themselves during a wolf/bear attack. I doubt there is much info on that because wolf attacks are extremely rare. Bear attacks are more common. But we are not talking about bears.
I am claiming that the chance is greater of injuring oneself with one’s own handgun than of being attacked by a wolf.

Ok. Original question was type and caliber recommended to defend against a pack of wolves (not the validity of a wolf attack). Just because wolves are the predator that raises the hackles on the back of the OP’s relative’s neck, it doesn’t mean those hackles shouldn’t have been raised before.
If they hike in the wilds, there is a “slim chance” they have avoided so far every outing they have had. We should be happy others out there that are not in the firearm loving community are seeing that firearms are a valid tool that has multiple uses and are interested in engaging in some facet of the shooting world, not the evil things that sneak out of our gun safes and cause mass shootings. Probably best to educate them on the other potential predators that might be a higher risk and make sure they understand those animals also (behaviors and shot placement). That way, they have their specific fear (rational in some’s opinions and irrational in others) covered but are also knowledgeable of the situations that might have a higher chance of occurring. Remember, I did warn everyone about the rabid red squirrels…..those are darn right frightening….

WAB, although very rare there are documented instances in the past 10 years of Coyotes attacking children (no fatalities) - one was in Middletown NJ 7-10 years ago, others a toddler recently in California and there is video of that one. But I certainly wouldn’t let that affect where or how my children play, any neighborhood Dog could do the same thing….and often do.
Surprisingly, Wikipedia had the info on the variants of coyotes and the ones that have wolf dna. Interesting read if anyone is curious.

Last edited:
If I was worried about a pack, it would be the kel-tec pmr 30. They make self defense ammo for the 22 mag. 30 rounds with out a mag change. Pretty lite and no recoil.

The PMR-30 is the ultimate backpacker pistol, but I think Colorado has a magazine limit of 15.

I'd use the lightest 9mm that I could shoot well that wouldn't get me arrested. (In my case, a SIG 365 fills the bill).

Shooting accurately is the key.

If they aren't the type who will practice and become proficient with pistols, then I would suggest a lightweight .38 Special revolver and load the last 2-3 chambers in the cylinder with CCI #4 shotshells.

At close range, a face full of #4 lead shot would deter almost anything one would encounter in Colorado.

Lightning kills 20 people per year in the USA.

I’m not claiming people injure themselves during a wolf/bear attack. I doubt there is much info on that because wolf attacks are extremely rare. Bear attacks are more common. But we are not talking about bears.
I am claiming that the chance is greater of injuring oneself with one’s own handgun than of being attacked by a wolf.
TRA3 I didn’t miss your “claim” but it has zero basis, no facts, no statistics that relate to any “attacks”, no attack related studies, nothing except a random opinion or belief. I would agree many things could happen to someone before a Wolf attack - car accident, choke on a sandwich, - etc…. Didn’t you really mean to correlate the “RISK of using” a handgun during an attack vs the “EFFECTIVENESS of using” a handgun During an attack? I think that’s what you meant - and if Not it should’ve been. As you correctly mention “we are Not talking about Bears” and We are also Not talking about general handgun risks. So to be clear (and a little obnoxious) here is my Question to You: Do you think someone is generally better off having a handgun to fend off a Wolf attack or Not?
I believe YES they are and that the “most likely” outcome will be beneficial. Please feel free to answer my question and also match (or exceed) my overbearing and obnoxious way of making a point….if I even have a point??

Ya know, I really don't care what people do as long as they do it legally and safely. If someone wants to carry whatever in the event one of the shy, sly wolves suddenly attacks fine; and I do agree that chance encounters and sticky situations with carnivores happen. Packing that 9mm while hiking will surely give you confidence but also over confidence is not a good thing. Confidence and a 9mm against an angry mama bear, a more likely encounter, is probably not a good combination.

I'm a proponent of women carrying because they are vulnerable to the more likely (IMO) encounter with a dirt-bag.

So it’s settled then.

We all agree. A 15 shot revolver in anywhere from .22LR to 500 S&W :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
You a joking but you are also CORRECT - they have all been used effectively and better then your “fists & feet”. I’d rather have a .22lr then bear spray - the National Parks AND Park Rangers recommend “bear Spray” but two Rangers have told me they push the “spray” Not because it’s more effective but because they really do Not want guns in the Parks. I was told this at Yellowstone and years later at Glacier

You a joking but you are also CORRECT - they have all been used effectively and better then your “fists & feet”. I’d rather have a .22lr then bear spray - the National Parks AND Park Rangers recommend “bear Spray” but two Rangers have told me they push the “spray” Not because it’s more effective but because they really do Not want guns in the Parks. I was told this at Yellowstone and years later at Glacier
Kind of scary when the rangers would rather have you carry bear salsa and be less protected than carry a gun.

Kind of scary when the rangers would rather have you carry bear salsa and be less protected than carry a gun.
Ken they did make several good points - most Park visitors have No idea when a Bear poses a real threat and would shoot too soon and too often….the Park is concerned about the “Bear” - if they deploy “spray” unnecessarily its not gonna injure the bear. Rangers also have No real expertise on Bear attacks and how to deter them, they quote instances where Bear Spray was effective but in most cases the Bear was not really a threat and almost Never in an All-out-attack. In a full on attack, firearms are more effective. At least that’s what I’ve read, its difficult to sift through the “politically correct” studies that push for “Non Lethal” methods vs “whats best”.

More for the two legged wolves in the wood then our new wolfies

hVQM1g3.png
2XbDvJb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaBorth

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]