Handgun for wolf protection

lived in wolf country 30 years, no problems. But still i carry a side arm for all threats . S&W 22/32 Kit Gun is plenty to scare off a wolf pack. You are more likely to be attacked by a badger IMO…..FWB

For me, when I’m carrying a sidearm for personal defense it’s usually a Glock 17, though when I need greater concealability it’s a G19. If I carry where a bear might be the problem, it’s a Glock 20. I seldom carry my 1911 even though it’s a great gun and 45 is a great cartridge. I’d rather have 10 9mm rounds than 7 .45 rounds.

I wouldn’t worry to much about stopping any threat, except a determined Bear, with a 9mm. I had the good fortune 2 years ago to spend a weekend at a shooting school with 2 members of Delta Force. We shot a lot, I fired nearly 1,000 rounds in 2 days; 1/2 handgun & 1/2 AR. What convinced me is when they told me that all the Delta operators carry Glock 17’s. They’re safe, reliable, and plenty accurate for the job at hand. I figure if a Glock 17 is the choice of those guys who actually do use their handguns in life or death situations, I don’t need to look for anything else. 10-15 rounds from a 9mm will stop virtually any threat.

there is a much, much greater risk of injuring himself with his own handgun than of having a confrontation with wolves. I suspect there is media hype playing into a “need” for wolf protection. He has a significantly greater risk of being struck by lighting.

After a nasty mountain lion experience, my wife tried a few different handguns out, both revolvers and auto loaders for her backwoods trail gun in Montana. She settled on a S&W mod 60 .357 mag with the 3" barrel. It is simple, easy to shoot, light, compact, easy to carry, and as such, she always has it present if needed. Along with a couple speed loaders.

She carries it with magnums in griz areas, but typically with quality +p 38's when we're in wolf or lion ares, not to mention the 2 legged predator encounters, which does happen, and probably more likely than having a wolf encounter.

lived in wolf country 30 years, no problems. But still i carry a side arm for all threats . S&W 22/32 Kit Gun is plenty to scare off a wolf pack. You are more likely to be attacked by a badger IMO…..FWB
My own trail gun is an old S&W lightweight 22 Kit Gun. I've seen several bears, coyotes, and coy-wolves. All of them ran away quickly as soon as I shot a few rounds into the ground.

Chances are exceedingly low but a young woman who was a federal school teacher for a native school in Chignik Lake on the Alaska Peninsula was killed by a pack of wolves while jogging on a two track road near the beach in 2010. In addition, a six year-old child was attacked in Alaska in the year 2000.

It’s more about the perceived threat. And your family feeling safe when walking that trail in the dark than the real threat. It’s rare to see wolves in wolf country. An amazing animal and an experience to see. Especially their larger cousins. Remember they released Grey wolves. The medium sized wolf sub specie. Not that agree with releasing them in cattle country.

If you’re going to have them carry. Do them a favor and pay for real firearm training, then when they have the fundamental's down cold. Get more training from guys that have used their weapons kicking doors in at night. as DLSJR mentioned above.

Not every Pipehitter is a trainer but some are amazing at training others. Especially for the more realistic threat from a male human.

I’m a Navy guy but. Have to admit the Green Beret guys are by definition some of the best trainers you’ll find. And Unit guys (1st SFOD) “Delta” often started in that group.

And the best trainer I’ve shot with was from the Unit.

You can even send him a video from the side and he will improve what you’re doing in one magazine.

A guy here in WI was cornered by two wolves and one shot into one of them from a .380 sent them both on their way.
Yes, wolves in WI are becoming a problem. Had a coworker stalked by a pack as he came back from his tree stand.
I personally think as packs are reintroduced into their “traditional” ranges where they have been missing for 100+ years, there will be more conflict as these wolves are not nearly as fearful of man as the ones that were hunted into extinction in those areas long ago.

My city daily carry is a 4” SW 1911. Always have loved the 1911 and I love the size hole a 45ACP makes. Also love the thinness of the 1911 for concealability. Normally carry 2 extra mags but had a special “crap, gotta go to Milwaukee” rig made so I can carry 4 extra mags.
Have also always loved wheel guns. However, my SP101 only have me 5 shots of .357 and my 1911 gave me 7+1. Hence my move years ago away from my .357.
I agree 100% on the simplicity of revolvers. But, reloading one in a fast manner is not easy at all, even if you carry speed loaders.
A Glock 29 in 10mm can carry 15+1 compared to the 5-6 rounds of a revolver (can go up to 8 rounds but then you are probably spending a ton of cash unless you stumble on an old Taurus 8 shot .357 like one of my glove compartment guns). This means you have to reload the revolver twice and starting to perform your third reload as you are dripping your first Glock mag.
Plus the Glock with no manual external safety makes it as simple to fire as a revolver.

For a new shooter that is predominantly a hiker I would recommend the S&W 317.
This is a 3" aluminum frame 22 LR.
This gun is super light at 12 ounces - but still fun to shoot.

The first goal is learning basic firearm competence - the 22 is fun and cheap to shoot.
The second goal is having a gun when you need it - the 317 is light enough to alway take along.

Really!? 20 some odd fatal attacks on humans by wolves in North America since any records have been kept, 16th century forward. And a pretty good percentage of those were captive/domesticated wolves. Sure, anything is possible but there are MANY ways you are more likely to meet your demise on a hike in Colorado than an encounter with wolves no matter how well established they become.
I'd suggest you wear good boots & use a walking stick. Might be a greater chance of hitting your head if you fall than having a coyote try and feast on your leg! Just kidding. Always comforting to have something on your hip that you can shoot well.

Last edited:
An Airweight 38 J-Frame in a proper pocket holster is easy to conceal. BUT they are not the easiest to shoot well and will need a trigger job (or at least a lighter rebound spring). My daily carry gun, btw. Practice with 148 grain HBWCs is quite pleasant.

For hiking, where concealment is necessary, I would suggest the small (6+1) Glock 43 9mm in a fanny pack type holster.

Proper training and considerable (and frequent) practice goes without saying.

All good choices and recommendations here. Carry what works best for you. First thing is fit to your hand, you will shoot better. Select a caliber that will do the intended job. I carry wheel guns or autos, depends on what I am doing. Like some people, I have started a holster collection. Oh well, any excuse to buy more power tools.

This post reminded me of the armistice during WW1 between Germany and Russia so they could kill the man eating wolves…. I would think a single stack 9mm Glock like a 43 or maybe a SIG 365 with a micro red dot would be perfect. I can’t imagine needing anything more than a 38 or 9mm. As for ammo you… Critical Defense would be perfect. Critical Duty is a LE intended bonded bullet with heavier construction for auto glass and car doors.

Chances are exceedingly low but a young woman who was a federal school teacher for a native school in Chignik Lake on the Alaska Peninsula was killed by a pack of wolves while jogging on a two track road near the beach in 2010. In addition, a six year-old child was attacked in Alaska in the year 2000.

That one there I posted somewhere and an arazis said it was not important since “ it wasn’t recently “

Where there is one human killed by presents one too many .

If he hasn’t been worried about mountain lions and black bears, he doesn’t need to be worried about wolves. Really, there’s no animal in Colorado that he really needs to be concerned about while he’s out hiking. Grizzly bears are about the only thing in the lower 48 worth being nervous about.

A pistol does you no good if it's not with you. Be sure and choose a comfortable carry option so that you WILL have it on you if the need does arise. This one is the Kenai from Gunfighters Inc.
1704134378509.png

My choice would be a full sized semi-auto pistol in 9mm or larger caliber with at least one spare magazine. Having at least 15+1 and a spare magazine of defensive ammo will have you covered for all manner of bad & nasties both 4-legged and bipedal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMcAuley

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles