Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, IBO,
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, and USA
I recently received my taxidermy back from my 22 trip, the packers wrapped all my trophies for shipping, in the process flattening the hair in my black wildebeest. so here is the question, I am looking for a way to get it to stand back up......suggestions?

Going to be tough- very tough especially if the hair wasn't groomed over several days during the actual drying process. Are you sure the hair was standing BEFORE packing?

Best chance is to use a slightly damp towel/rag right along the hair roots of the neck mane for 24 hrs. Make sure you aren't getting the rest of the hide too wet. Use a hair comb to back brush the mane hairs until they want to mostly stand. You then need to "card" as we say in the taxi world, the hair to dry standing up. You can use masking tape/blue tape to try and catch all the hairs in the standing position, use strips of cardboard placed on each side with T pins etc, I even use old hair combs to leave stuck between the hairs. At any rate, you need the hair standing for several days to dry. Each day, comb the hair back up and re-card.

After all that, you MIGHT get them slightly standing. If they weren't originally trained and dried at mounting, there's really not much chance.

A little hairspray and hairdryer might also help at the final stage. I've even tried using a woman's flay iron to iron the hairs up.

Unfortunately, all with less than desirable effect UNLESS I was able to keep them standing at the initial mounting phase. If the hair roots have been dried and locked into place in the laying position, then you'll never move them. All you are really doing is bending the hair at the root to the up position thus they will eventually fall

Going to be tough- very tough especially if the hair wasn't groomed over several days during the actual drying process. Are you sure the hair was standing BEFORE packing?

Best chance is to use a slightly damp towel/rag right along the hair roots of the neck mane for 24 hrs. Make sure you aren't getting the rest of the hide too wet. Use a hair comb to back brush the mane hairs until they want to mostly stand. You then need to "card" as we say in the taxi world, the hair to dry standing up. You can use masking tape/blue tape to try and catch all the hairs in the standing position, use strips of cardboard placed on each side with T pins etc, I even use old hair combs to leave stuck between the hairs. At any rate, you need the hair standing for several days to dry. Each day, comb the hair back up and re-card.

After all that, you MIGHT get them slightly standing. If they weren't originally trained and dried at mounting, there's really not much chance.

A little hairspray and hairdryer might also help at the final stage. I've even tried using a woman's flay iron to iron the hairs up.

Unfortunately, all with less than desirable effect UNLESS I was able to keep them standing at the initial mounting phase. If the hair roots have been dried and locked into place in the laying position, then you'll never move them. All you are really doing is bending the hair at the root to the up position thus they will eventually fall
thank you sir .....much appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XFRSylvia7

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg