Hair raising

zip4644

AH veteran
Joined
Aug 14, 2021
Messages
192
Reaction score
658
Media
31
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
SCI, IBO,
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, and USA Zimbabwe
I recently received my taxidermy back from my 22 trip, the packers wrapped all my trophies for shipping, in the process flattening the hair in my black wildebeest. so here is the question, I am looking for a way to get it to stand back up......suggestions?
 
Going to be tough- very tough especially if the hair wasn't groomed over several days during the actual drying process. Are you sure the hair was standing BEFORE packing?

Best chance is to use a slightly damp towel/rag right along the hair roots of the neck mane for 24 hrs. Make sure you aren't getting the rest of the hide too wet. Use a hair comb to back brush the mane hairs until they want to mostly stand. You then need to "card" as we say in the taxi world, the hair to dry standing up. You can use masking tape/blue tape to try and catch all the hairs in the standing position, use strips of cardboard placed on each side with T pins etc, I even use old hair combs to leave stuck between the hairs. At any rate, you need the hair standing for several days to dry. Each day, comb the hair back up and re-card.

After all that, you MIGHT get them slightly standing. If they weren't originally trained and dried at mounting, there's really not much chance.

A little hairspray and hairdryer might also help at the final stage. I've even tried using a woman's flay iron to iron the hairs up.

Unfortunately, all with less than desirable effect UNLESS I was able to keep them standing at the initial mounting phase. If the hair roots have been dried and locked into place in the laying position, then you'll never move them. All you are really doing is bending the hair at the root to the up position thus they will eventually fall
 
Going to be tough- very tough especially if the hair wasn't groomed over several days during the actual drying process. Are you sure the hair was standing BEFORE packing?

Best chance is to use a slightly damp towel/rag right along the hair roots of the neck mane for 24 hrs. Make sure you aren't getting the rest of the hide too wet. Use a hair comb to back brush the mane hairs until they want to mostly stand. You then need to "card" as we say in the taxi world, the hair to dry standing up. You can use masking tape/blue tape to try and catch all the hairs in the standing position, use strips of cardboard placed on each side with T pins etc, I even use old hair combs to leave stuck between the hairs. At any rate, you need the hair standing for several days to dry. Each day, comb the hair back up and re-card.

After all that, you MIGHT get them slightly standing. If they weren't originally trained and dried at mounting, there's really not much chance.

A little hairspray and hairdryer might also help at the final stage. I've even tried using a woman's flay iron to iron the hairs up.

Unfortunately, all with less than desirable effect UNLESS I was able to keep them standing at the initial mounting phase. If the hair roots have been dried and locked into place in the laying position, then you'll never move them. All you are really doing is bending the hair at the root to the up position thus they will eventually fall
thank you sir .....much appreciated
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,342
Messages
1,573,419
Members
169,747
Latest member
nexttanebir1980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top