Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X2), Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
I know that H4831SC is supposed to be identical to plain old H4831. Just shorter cut grains to aid in metering. However, I’m loading for a 300 H&H with the older version and with 200 grain Nosler Partitions I get sub MOA groups. Using the SC variety, my groups double in size.

I know that the old version is no longer made. So, does anyone have some H4831 they can part with?

The problem you'd have is if someone who can spare it would have to ship it. Hard to do as a private individual.

I'm shocked to read this. I've used H4831 and H4831SC interchangeably, never had an issue.

I know that H4831SC is supposed to be identical to plain old H4831. Just shorter cut grains to aid in metering. However, I’m loading for a 300 H&H with the older version and with 200 grain Nosler Partitions I get sub MOA groups. Using the SC variety, my groups double in size.

I know that the old version is no longer made. So, does anyone have some H4831 they can part with?

Doug, try bumping the load a bit up or down. A slight load variation might get you back in the zone. ;)

Where are you located? I do have a pound ( opened but nearly full ) that I would give to you if possible. I have always had more success with IMR4831 and am well supplied with that.

Hi J12! Thanks for the kind offer, but I’m in eastern Missouri. I’ll pay for the powder and shipping if you’re interested in the hassle.

The problem you'd have is if someone who can spare it would have to ship it. Hard to do as a private individual.

I'm shocked to read this. I've used H4831 and H4831SC interchangeably, never had an issue.
I know, it’s strange. But I’ve learned over the years not to be surprised by anything when it comes to reloading. Damned alchemy it is!

Possible, but there will be a hazmat charge. The shipping for just a single pound of powder is pretty expensive!

Thanks for checking it out!

I generally always get the sc version. Using a powder measure it hangs up less due to shorter kernels and I believe allows more consistent metering so less time you take trickling in the last bit of charge to make weight. So basically the SC saves you times.

Gentlemen, please be careful... The US Department of Transportation does not play games.

The training requirements for shipping hazardous materials including low explosives such as bulk smokeless gunpowder and primers are found in Combined Federal Regulations 49 (CFR 49). The following is from an online training website: https://www.oshaeducationcenter.com/hazmat/dot-hazmat/?msclkid=e56d912ca85b1e2947fcf7fe7cbff043
DOT HAZMAT shipping training is an annual requirement.

"All workers who handle or ship hazardous materials (HAZMAT) must complete DOT HAZMAT transportation training within 90 days of their job start date or a change in job duties.

DOT hazardous materials regulations found in 49 CFR 172.704 Subpart H/HM-181 dictate the training requirements for approved HAZMAT training.

Under Section 172.704(d), employers (or an individual shipping HAZMAT) must create and retain a record of current training for each HAZMAT employee. The DOT HAZMAT certificate of completion satisfies this recordkeeping requirement.

The minimum requirements for DOT HAZMAT transportation training are found in 49 CFR 172.704 Subpart H, also known as HM-181."

Otherwise, without DOT HAZMAT certification one may ship via UPS small arms (loaded) ammunition and primed cartridge cases. But if primers are in their factory packaging, they require shipment paperwork signed by a HAZMAT certified individual.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/s...s-materials-guide/how-to-ship-ammunition.page

So, your friend in Pennsylvania cannot find large rifle magnum primers for loading his 404 Jeffery but has the cartridge cases. You have LRM primers but live in Arizona. You may NOT legally ship him a box or brick of primers. He may however ship you empty cartridge cases (and the reloading dies if you don't have a set). Then you may prime his cartridge cases and return them to him in in a box properly marked for small arms ammunition with a 4" HAZMAT symbol. I always put a HAZMAT diamond on two sides of the package.

1725094232319.png

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. If we do it, it’ll be by the book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B1gT3x

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]