Gunsmith wanted for barrel re-contouring

MRogersII

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
My son has a 260 Ackley 1000yd Light Gun built on a Rem 700. I need to find a gunsmith to take the existing barrel, which is currently a Williamsport taper (7lb) with a break, and re-contour the barrel to something more suitable for a mountain carry rifle. Ideally, I would also like to cut the break threads off and re-crown. We have a mule deer hunt coming up in Sept that this would be perfect for, if I can get the barrel turned down and get it into a hunting stock.

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Michael

Contact Douglas barrels in wv. They have a dedicated young man that does nothing but contour barrels

Cool... I am working on a project and that advice may come in handy

Thank you for the response. Actually, it is a Douglas barrel. I called and talked to the owner and he was reluctant to do it. Said that he couldn't guarantee that the machine collet wouldn't slip and mess up the threads. That's why I'm looking elsewhere.

Thank you for the response. Actually, it is a Douglas barrel. I called and talked to the owner and he was reluctant to do it. Said that he couldn't guarantee that the machine collet wouldn't slip and mess up the threads. That's why I'm looking elsewhere.
To be clear. Im not being critical of them, of course. I appreciated his honesty. Just conveying information.

Your timeline for turnaround doesn’t jive well with gunsmith‘s speed of services.

If I was in your shoes, I would look for a REMage barrel that meets your requirements, pre made. You need a savage barrel wrench ($30), headspace go and no-go gauge ($65), and the barrel with nut. You can get it mailed to you immediately and you can have it installed and headspaced in an hour.

That’s the fastest way between two points. Re-countouring existing barrel and getting it back to you for a September hunt, plus bluing it, plus sighting it back in sounds like a $300 job and a $10,000 expedite surcharge. (Hyperbolic to prove a point)

But a remage? E. Arthur Brown may have what you want in stock for direct ship right now.

I agree with the above on the.the time frame and cost to.to expedite it.

Most gunsmith that I know are at a minimum 6 months out before the even start on firearm

It’s going to be easier to just rebarrel it. For a number of reasons, most gunsmiths won’t recontour a barrel once it’s chambered and threaded.

It’s going to be easier to just rebarrel it. For a number of reasons, most gunsmiths won’t recontour a barrel once it’s chambered and threaded.
100% agree also 100% agree with @rookhawk
Unless you know someone personally it is not going to happen in your time frame. Most smith's will not take on the due to the risk of something happening, accuracy issues (true or not why get yourself in that spot), liability issues this would be a long list, the last thing I will list, it would probably cost as much as a barrel by the time it is said and done.

Criterion has listing in the round the rifle is chambered in now for a remage setup.

The other suggestion I would make, pick up a hunting rifle in 6.5PRC. Unless your son is not going to use the rifle in the current form any more. You could move the scope to save some money there. By the time you get a new barrel and stock. Unless you already have them you will still need get a barrel vise and action wrench to get the old barrel off. You will not be far off the cost of a new rifle.

Buy a Tikka T3X and go on your hunt. Sept turn around on a project is unfortunately unreasonable as most gunsmiths move with the seasons.

Yeah, that timeline would be rough. Most barrel makers are 6 months backlogged...unless you find what you want on a shelf which is unlikely. Best bet is to buy a new rifle.

I have been sending more and more rifle smithing work to John McLaughlin in Helena, Montana. The gets it done and is easy to communicate with. A very good 'smith.

Call the guys at Southern Precision Rifles at 239-289-2338. They did one for a friend of mine not long ago and the service was quick and economical. They're good guys too.

^^^^This^^^^ Have used SPR to do fluting on a barrel and turnaround was quick. As far as contouring, as above, on an existing chambered barrel, I would not want to take a chance. Even in a flood cooled turning operation, removing metal in once place can cause something to happen in another. Extreme, but you could wind up with a distorted barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MavisKessl

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?