Gun for a new hunter

For a beginner hunter I would stay away from the 6.5 caliber.

Granted a lot of moose have been taken with the 6.5x55 but look at the requirements to get a hunting license along with the shooting requirements in Sweden.

Stock design and weight makes a difference in felt recoil. I have a Weatherby vanguard wilderness in 30-06 and felt recoil isn't very pleasant. A heavier rifle with a good butt pad like a Winchester m70 is much more enjoyable to shoot. So in saying that i would look at something with more heft rather than a light weight. I would also look at 308 win/30-06 before i would look at the 6.5mm for dedicated moose/caribou hunting.
I learned that from going from a No.5 (feels like a 12 gauge with full loads) to a no.4 (About like a .30/30) aka the hard way

I got my first real deer rifle at the age of 17; a preowned Browning Safari Grade in 30-06, and the recoil wasn't a problem. With the adrenaline of the hunt combined with the thickness of a winter coat, I never even noticed the recoil in the moment. And for extended range sessions on the bench, strapping on an inexpensive PAST recoil pad effectively neutralizes any bite of recoil from the '06.

All that being said, I almost never want to discourage the acquisition of a new gun. ;-)

Buy what you can afford, save the rest for hunting trips. The highest price isn't always the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guoyingzhu019

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well