Gun Cabinet?

Anyone have a suggestion on a place to find a decent gun cabinet? Looking for something that I can put in my office that is relatively secure, but allows me to display a few firearms

There is a furniture store in the upper midwest called Borofka's. Google them and you'll see they are the only maker of a nice gun cabinet I'm aware of that displays them horizontally so you can enjoy looking at your guns. They offer a variety of woods and cost in the high $2k range. I think they are Amish made somewhere in WI or MN but I've never cracked the secret of who is making these exclusively for the custom made furniture chain.

If you're frugal, you can go to facebook marketplace, lie to facebook about your zip code, search a 500 mile radius, and repeat this with various zip codes nationwide. You will find one of those Barofka retailed gun cabinets used on FB marketplace if you burn many nights looking at "gun cabinet" listings for one. I think I found mine for around $200 and paid more than double that for uship.com to have an LTL shipper bring it to me.

The problem with vertical gun cabinets is two fold: 1.) The oil creeps down the barrel and rots out the stocks eventually, hence why best-quality British gunsmiths have rubber mats on the bottom of their racks so they can store their guns muzzle down. 2.) You inevitably ding the guns into one another trying to get them out.

Picture of the aforementioned for example. They do make them in less dated woods and finishes than golden oak.
Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 1.00.15 PM.png

Anyone have a suggestion on a place to find a decent gun cabinet? Looking for something that I can put in my office that is relatively secure, but allows me to display a few firearms
I got my own cabinet maker gave him my specs then told him I wanted 109% cedar given I love the smell. $750

IMG_1248.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option if you have tons of space. As a general rule of fine furniture, the larger the piece, the lower the price. While a prolifically carved German end table or credenza might sell for $2000 at a high-end antique store, an equally A++++ quality piece that is 20' long might sell for $4000. You'd be astounded how worthless super quality German furniture from the 19th century really is. My mother and grandmother were antique dealers so I spent nearly 50 years being dragged around antique markets to observe these things.

Anyway, back to guns. Go to a few large antique malls and you'll find a piece that takes you ten men to haul that is exquisite. Do it yourself, or have a local cabinet maker put gun racks on it / in it, whatever. You might be aghast that you've modified fine antique furniture, but you literally bought the fine antique furniture for 1/10th the cost of the Walnut or Mahogany slabs anyway.

Another option if you have tons of space. As a general rule of fine furniture, the larger the piece, the lower the price. While a prolifically carved German end table or credenza might sell for $2000 at a high-end antique store, an equally A++++ quality piece that is 20' long might sell for $4000. You'd be astounded how worthless super quality German furniture from the 19th century really is. My mother and grandmother were antique dealers so I spent nearly 50 years being dragged around antique markets to observe these things.

Anyway, back to guns. Go to a few large antique malls and you'll find a piece that takes you ten men to haul that is exquisite. Do it yourself, or have a local cabinet maker put gun racks on it / in it, whatever. You might be aghast that you've modified fine antique furniture, but you literally bought the fine antique furniture for 1/10th the cost of the Walnut or Mahogany slabs anyway.

The level of quality furniture you can buy at some large antique malls is amazing. Estate sales in historic areas can be good sources also. We are nearing the end of life for senior citizens that own these types of houses and are moving out.

The peak has passed. So most quality items are already removed from homes of original owners or second owners.

Some nice furniture at my local store that could easily be turned into horizontal or vertical gun case. $300-$1000

With a cool quality rocking chair thrown in for kicks. View attachment 635709View attachment 635708View attachment 635710View attachment 635711View attachment 635713

@Altitude sickness has it right. If you're willing to spend more to get more, the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, IL has an antique Mall next to it. 10' to 20' long hand carved German cabinets that would blow your mind can be found for $2ish thousand dollars. The more carved and antique, the less they are worth. Wealthy younger people want $10k pieces from Restoration Hardware and Room & Board made in clear maple.

If I ever was to build a home for myself, I'd spend 5 years accumulating massive pieces of furniture and then I'd adjust the floor plan to build them all in. For $10k in investment on antique pieces, it would take me a million dollars to have them built to same specs today.

How many guns do you want to display? Reading this thread prompted me to consider moving three rifles out of my safe into a display in my den. I found a side-by-side secretary desk with attached curio cabinet that looks good for my use. On FB Marketplace in about an hours search, I found them priced for $250 - $1,200 within a 3 - 4 hours drive of me - I'm an hour north of Tampa. I figure the secretary portion could work for displaying skulls and other items with the drawers used for typical guy storage stuff. This one was sold on Harp Gallery for $1,160 plus shipping. I have to ping a couple of the listings to find out the interior height on the display portion.

41526-1.jpg

I like the option of repurposing furniture pieces, I have been looking for an armoire to turn into a gun cabinet. For an “open storage” option I found Fort Sandflat Products www.gunstands.com. They have many options in styles and wood. I have not ordered one yet but thinking about it.

Thi9, great idea. Those are not appreciated and sell for ridiculous prices. If you tried to have that made now. The verneer alone would be thousands.

The TV shows made Farm chic popular so most are looking for old pine to whitewash.

A freind and his brother own and operate a VERY fine furniture manufacturing company. They still make their own very thin verneer. Last I knew they had one customer they custom build for.

My only suggestion is no glass doors. In today's world you would be wise not to show off your guns. Your friends would probably not cause issues but they might talk to others. Red flag laws and theft can cause you lots of heartache and legal problems.

You can add a metal band across the back then attach a rubber coated heavy wire across the front of the firearms. Or a metal bar in front to lock them. Also lock the door

I may go grab this Chanel dresser. Look at the Armoire behind the Chanel dresser.

The curio cabinet below would work perfect.
$900

IMG_6229.jpeg

IMG_6230.jpeg

I did something similar for cigars years ago and converted a huge antique French curio cabinet into a 7’x8’x2’ humidor… I was able to pick up the cabinet for a couple of hundred bucks, completely sealed it and run an active humidification system through it for a few hundred bucks more… and I ended up with a 2500+ stick, beautiful display case for my cigar collection…

I don’t think it would be hard to replicate the process for rifles at all..

Look for "Bulla Casseforti d'autore", an Italian brand, totally made in Italy, they deliver world over. Top quality, top safety, and very pleasant to the eyes. Also they can customize every aspect of the product. To me, best of the best. I have one and is super. There's a heavy duty metal case, bombproof. Outside is covered in wood. Velvet and lights inside. That is mine, just before delivered to me. They do everything you need, for as many guns you need. View attachment 635594View attachment 635595View attachment 635596
@Phil Giordano - that is one DAMN NICE Gun cabinet, I had no idea anyone built a display cabinet that offered real security too - ingenious design and worth the money. What type of “Glass” is used? I assume it must be a laminated “bullet proof” type of glass and at least 1/2” to 1” thick —- very heavy and in a heavy steel frame, then laminated with wood? Any of the normal wood gun cabinets with or without glass can be opened with a hard kick, screw driver, or rock and are for display purposes only. They are fine if you have them in a “Secure Room” that has No windows and concrete walls and steel door — but that requires a basement location or designed into the original house. I am very impressed with your cabinets and would like to hear more details on the exact materials used etc.. than you for posting !!

Yes Hank, the Bullas are built like a tank, they provide a certificate of the level of safety, type of locks, and glasses. The glasses are bulletproof 20+mm multilayer as standard, or any type you like or want. The production is semicustom or totally customizable, so you can choose every kind of velvet/leather, everyting else inside, and any kind of wood outside. Size / height is also customizable. Give a look at they website, of facebook page. Look for "Bulla Casseforti d'Autore", they show more than I can do in these few lines. Very good people, also!

Yes Hank, the Bullas are built like a tank, they provide a certificate of the level of safety, type of locks, and glasses. The glasses are bulletproof 20+mm multilayer as standard, or any type you like or want. The production is semicustom or totally customizable, so you can choose every kind of velvet/leather, everyting else inside, and any kind of wood outside. Size / height is also customizable. Give a look at they website, of facebook page. Look for "Bulla Casseforti d'Autore", they show more than I can do in these few lines. Very good people, also!
Thank You Phil, you have a nice way to display and “enjoy” looking at your guns - and still provide reasonable security for them. Larger collections could be kept in a safe with just a few “special ones” placed in that display case to admire.

I too found a lovey mid-nineteenth century one in a local antique shop in Northern Virginia. It is also fairly easy to convert a shallow antique bookcase into a nice gun cabinet.

View attachment 635551
Very similar to mine which I believe was made in 1900’s was in a photo from my Great Grandparents home in 1920
313A941E-F4B2-437B-9813-CCE833255E91.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trjehtjjggdfh

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?