Mac13

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Mexico, South Africa
I have no idea what Greater Kudu yearly horn growth is by age but below is my guess. Hopefully, someone that knows will come along and post what it really is on average.

0” 9+yr
1” 8-9yr
3” 7-8yr
5” 6-7yr
8” 5-6yr

Maybe this illustration would help. It is from a book called "Wildplaas Bestuur" (Game farm management) by J du P Bothma. (p144 of the Third Edition)
Anyway, kudu horn length cannot be correlated to age, but the shape of the horns does correlate to the age of the kudu. In the picture below, its shows the shape at different ages (in months for those that cannot read Afrikaans), with the last two just stating middle aged to old and old respectively. This would be around 7 years for middle aged and 10 plus for old. Hope this helps.

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-13 at 11.30.24.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this illustration would help. It is from a book called "Wildplaas Bestuur" (Game farm management) by J du P Bothma. (p144 of the Third Edition)
Anyway, kudu horn length cannot be correlated to age, but the shape of the horns does correlate to the age of the kudu. In the picture below, its shows the shape at different ages (in months for those that cannot read Afrikaans), with the last two just stating middle aged to old and old respectively. This would be around 7 years for middle aged and 10 plus for old. Hope this helps.

View attachment 613068
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that!

Clearly we want to hunt for old kudu bulls.

@Just Gina and I have a few Addax on our very small Texas ranch and this chart seems to be at least somewhat accurate to them also! As for pictures of shape anyway;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieQuelp

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg