Grandpa Moose

Grandpa Moose

Reaction score
Hello I’m a retired gunsmith and long time lodge owner and guide in NW Ontario. Besides fishing my love is moose hunting and hunting in general. I’ve had some life changing health issues but dream of hunting Africa again if it can be worked out. There are 15 trophies on my man cave wall from two past South African Safaries with 12 of them making SCI or Ward books. The total with north American hunts is 30+ and memories of each one are still on my mind. With the life problems I have the focus of my smithing is antique black powder revolvers and rifles from the 1860’s to 1900. I’m hoping to get a chance at Cowboy Action Shooting in the near future. Your stories and photos are a grea reminder of the wonderful opportunities that we all can dream of. Thank you

Looking forward to exchanging info and ideas on the forum. Most of my hunting is now done with single shots and my heavy rifle is an 1885 Winchester in 375 mag. One shot kills on Cape buffalo, eland, and sable. There are a half dozen SS rifles in the cabinet along with my pet 30-06’s and a new to me 8x68S in a 602 BRNO. Partner and I got a nice bull moose and hour into the opener last October and we still look forward to the hunt in our mid 70’s

:S Welcome:

Looking forward to exchanging info and ideas on the forum. Most of my hunting is now done with single shots and my heavy rifle is an 1885 Winchester in 375 mag. One shot kills on Cape buffalo, eland, and sable. There are a half dozen SS rifles in the cabinet along with my pet 30-06’s and a new to me 8x68S in a 602 BRNO. Partner and I got a nice bull moose and hour into the opener last October and we still look forward to the hunt in our mid 70’s
HI Moose, welcome to AH! I’m retired and new to AH as well. I like your taste in rifles. Your 1885 Winchester in 375 H&H and BRNO 602 in 8x68S are not very common but most excellent rifles!

Welcome to AH Grandpa Moose! Looking forward to your contribution.

Greetings Grandpa Moose,

Khomas Highland Hunting & Fishing Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

When you get around to it, I invite you to have a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Single shot rifles are a delight to hunt with.
I live in Alaska and the first Caribou that I took was via a Ruger No 1 single shot.
It was in caliber .375 H&H and Winchester factory loaded 270 grain “Power Point” bullet.
That was about 35 - 40 years ago.
I should’ve never sold that rifle.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome aboard!

Where are you in NW Ontario? I was born in Terrace Bay.

I had a resort in Ear Falls for 22 years on the NW corner of Lac Seul. Since retired due to failing health. Needed something to do and add to pension so got my certificate and license in gunsmithing a life long interest and hobby. Health is now in the perverbial crapper so forums such as this are most enjoyable

Welcome to AH. Hope your health issues get straightened out. I’m sure many look forward to your input.

Boy, they will let anyone on this forum. :D

Good talking to you today. See you soon. Both my brothers in Montana are having health issues and my old Jimmy is about to hit 400K miles. Time to check in with them and look for another vehicle in the land of minimal road salt. Maybe I'll take a detour up your way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suminasharma

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me