GPS in Africa

Is it worth brining a GPS on safari to Africa. Was thinking of something with in-reach satellite comms for emergencies, hoping some of the safari veterans can let me know their experiences on how worthwhile this might be. Thanks!
Africa is a very big place. It greatly depends on where you are going and what you are Hunting. Very few scenarios would require a GPS and even then it would be for an absolute emergency. I've only experienced one of those.
 
I think the OP is referring chiefly to the communication capabilities of the Inreach not the navigation.

The Garmin Inreach is great as a combination navigation and communication device. They are very cheap the plans are cheap and work well. Especially when away from camp.

They are however, slowly being replaced by new Iphones and other satellite tools.
 
I think the OP is referring chiefly to the communication capabilities of the Inreach not the navigation.

The Garmin Inreach is great as a combination navigation and communication device. They are very cheap the plans are cheap and work well. Especially when away from camp.

They are however, slowly being replaced by new Iphones and other satellite tools.
Yes, this correct, it was mainly the Inreach capability that I thought would be handy for emergencies.
 
For Navigation only download Gaia GPS app on your phone. The last several PHs I’ve had have used that instead of GPS. It’s incredible how accurate it is. My phone stays in airplane mode the entire time I’m out of country only getting WiFi at camp. It doesn’t need cell service.
 
As far as looking up coordinates, iPhones will store that with almost every photo you take, worldwide. If you click on the photo you can see all sorts of data. As for cell-phone coverage, it’s surprisingly good in the parts of Africa I’ve been to - even in the Caprivi. It borders on unbelievable, and certainly better than the rural parts of the US West. Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia….. I have no idea.

As has been said, new iPhones are starting to partner with Starlink to provide basic text and emergency coverage to the entire planet. If I understand correctly, this is only working with T-mobile at the moment.
 
Like any technology that is on the verge of being improved or replaced. The Inreach can be found for $100-$200 now. And definitely worth the price for piece of mind. Or just texting home at will.
IMG_8973.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,269
Messages
1,571,091
Members
169,254
Latest member
Leticia301
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top