GPO scopes ???

Longfeather1

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Safari Club International, Life Member
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
Does anyone have any experience with GPO (German Precision Optics) scopes? Good/bad/indifferent?

I have always used Leupold but they no longer make a scope configured how I want. Am looking at a Zeiss but also the GPO brand.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Longfeather1

Not quite a ZEISS, but very good scopes.
Ex- Zeiss and S&B guys

I recently picked up a Spectra 6X 1.5-9x44i for my Defiance .308. I've only zeroed it so far, so I can't speak to field performance, but it seems to be a very nicely built scope. Optically it looks good, but I haven't compared it side-by-side with any truly top-tier glass. Mine has the G4i Drop reticle in it because I wanted some holdovers but didn't want it cluttered. One rather odd feature is that the illumination control is continuously variable in brightness. I think I would prefer discrete settings with an off position in between each, but that wasn't a deal-breaker for me. Some may prefer it.

When I built the Defiance, I had decided that cost would be no object for the scope. I wanted something in the 2-10 range that was good in low light, light weight, illuminated, and did not have parallax adjustment, since this is primarily a rifle for woods hunting Wisconsin Whitetails. I have a VX5 3-15 on another rifle and am not really a fan, so I had my mind made up that the Defiance would get a Z6i 1.7-10, right up until the time came to fork out the money for one. Unable to convince myself that my deer rifle needed a $2600 scope, I threw an old 3-9 Accupoint on it as a placeholder until I stumbled upon the GPO.

The GPO is a bit big and heavy compared to the Leupold and Swarovski options, but not excessively so. Optically, I think it at least matches the Leupold and generally feels like a higher quality scope in terms of controls, etc. I still don't own a Swarovski, so no direct optical comparison there, but on all of the Swarovskis I've used in the past, I recall them having a very high quality feel to the controls. I don't think the GPO compares to that, but it's been a while since I've played with a Swarovski. Once I have a little more time behind the GPO, I may buy another one for a .375.

On Friday I also picked up a pair of the GPO 8x32 Rangeguide binoculars. I've been playing with them a bit today and things are looking good. Since all of my hunting thus far has been local, I'd been making do with a couple different pairs of Vortex Diamondbacks, so I'm obviously not a binocular connoisseur. I wanted a pair of compact rangefinding binoculars of decent quality but, once again, couldn't make myself drop the money on the top-tier brands. So far, I'm happy.

Yes, unfortunately GPO products are made in Asia, not Germany. Fortunately, they don't cost "made in Germany" money. My limited experience is that they're very nice optics for the money.

I recently picked up a Spectra 6X 1.5-9x44i for my Defiance .308. I've only zeroed it so far, so I can't speak to field performance, but it seems to be a very nicely built scope. Optically it looks good, but I haven't compared it side-by-side with any truly top-tier glass. Mine has the G4i Drop reticle in it because I wanted some holdovers but didn't want it cluttered. One rather odd feature is that the illumination control is continuously variable in brightness. I think I would prefer discrete settings with an off position in between each, but that wasn't a deal-breaker for me. Some may prefer it.

When I built the Defiance, I had decided that cost would be no object for the scope. I wanted something in the 2-10 range that was good in low light, light weight, illuminated, and did not have parallax adjustment, since this is primarily a rifle for woods hunting Wisconsin Whitetails. I have a VX5 3-15 on another rifle and am not really a fan, so I had my mind made up that the Defiance would get a Z6i 1.7-10, right up until the time came to fork out the money for one. Unable to convince myself that my deer rifle needed a $2600 scope, I threw an old 3-9 Accupoint on it as a placeholder until I stumbled upon the GPO.

The GPO is a bit big and heavy compared to the Leupold and Swarovski options, but not excessively so. Optically, I think it at least matches the Leupold and generally feels like a higher quality scope in terms of controls, etc. I still don't own a Swarovski, so no direct optical comparison there, but on all of the Swarovskis I've used in the past, I recall them having a very high quality feel to the controls. I don't think the GPO compares to that, but it's been a while since I've played with a Swarovski. Once I have a little more time behind the GPO, I may buy another one for a .375.

On Friday I also picked up a pair of the GPO 8x32 Rangeguide binoculars. I've been playing with them a bit today and things are looking good. Since all of my hunting thus far has been local, I'd been making do with a couple different pairs of Vortex Diamondbacks, so I'm obviously not a binocular connoisseur. I wanted a pair of compact rangefinding binoculars of decent quality but, once again, couldn't make myself drop the money on the top-tier brands. So far, I'm happy.

Yes, unfortunately GPO products are made in Asia, not Germany. Fortunately, they don't cost "made in Germany" money. My limited experience is that they're very nice optics for the money.
Regarding your Spectra scope, in what country was it made?
China? Philippines, or another?
Thanks for your review, and time.

Regarding your Spectra scope, in what country was it made?
China? Philippines, or another?
Thanks for your review, and time.
You're welcome, and good question. They're rather obscure about country of manufacture, but very proud that they're designed in Germany. Per their website, production occurs in Japan, China, and the Philippines, but I haven't found confirmation where this specific model is made. There's nothing about country of origin on either product or box. It's one of their higher end products, so I'm hoping not China.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bertie54A

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]