rifletuner

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Namibia, Australia, America, New Caledonia
I am having some stock work done by a friend, and on my last visit to see him, I left the stock off my 9.3x64 with him as a bit of a template. So for the last 8-10 months, I had had my barreled action sitting in the safe at home out of action. I took some more projects to him on the weekend, including a new Cameron Hatcher semi finished stock for my Sako AV 375 H&H. So while I was there, I did a bit of a swap and left the new stuff with him, but got my 9.3 stock back from him.

With the 375 out of action until the new stock is finished, that means I dont have access to my main sambar stalking rifle until probably the start to midle of the season in 2024. So since I had the 9.3x64 stock back, I was keen to it put together and rezeroed so I could stalk with that instead. I got the metal work back into the stock and fitted a Kahles 2.5-10 scope on Saturday afternoon, then went to the range Sunday to shoot it in. I am loading 320gn Woodleigh round nose bullets at 2350fps. They hit hard and perform well. Its been a while since I have shot it, and the bench definitely accentuates the recoil, but it did fell like it was pushing me around a bit more than I remembered. But maybe I am just getting old because it doesnt look too bad in the video my son took of me shooting it.

IMG-3995.jpg
IMG-3998.jpg
IMG-4001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having some stock work done by a friend, and on my last visit to see him, I left the stock off my 9.3x64 with him as a bit of a template. So for the last 8-10 months, I had had my barreled action sitting in the safe at home out of action. I took some more projects to him on the weekend, including a new Cameron Hatcher semi finished stock for my Sako AV 375 H&H. So while I was there, I did a bit of a swap and left the new stuff with him, but got my 9.3 stock back from him.

With the 375 out of action until the new stock is finished, that means I dont have access to my main sambar stalking rifle until probably the start to midle of the season in 2024. So since I had the 9.3x64 stock back, I was keen to it put together and rezeroed so I could stalk with that instead. I got the metal work back into the stock and fitted a Kahles 2.5-10 scope on Saturday afternoon, then went to the range Sunday to shoot it in. I am loading 320gn Woodleigh round nose bullets at 2350fps. They hit hard and perform well. Its been a while since I have shot it, and the bench definitely accentuates the recoil, but it did fell like it was pushing me around a bit more than I remembered. But maybe I am just getting old because it doesnt look too bad in the video my son took of me shooting it.

View attachment 564009View attachment 564010View attachment 564011
Very nice indeed sir! does me very well to see another LH 9.3 shooter. That caliber has become my favorite medium bore. Enjoy that rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice indeed sir! does me very well to see another LH 9.3 shooter. That caliber has become my favorite medium bore. Enjoy that rifle.
Thanks mate. I have owned just about every 9.3 cartridge over the years. I am looking forward to getting in some stalking with this one (y)

Very nice.

The Sambar will be in trouble (y)

Very nice.

The Sambar will be in trouble (y)
Thanks mate. Looking forward to using it. Hopefully we get a cool weekend or two before the end of the year.

Very nice indeed. Does your mate do this professionally? There are a number of firearm related trades that seem to be dying out over here. It'd be good to know there are some still some highly skilled craftsmen around.

Kick. Ass.

Very nice indeed. Does your mate do this professionally? There are a number of firearm related trades that seem to be dying out over here. It'd be good to know there are some still some highly skilled craftsmen around.
Yes he does. But I just need to clarify - the stock in this photo was made by the late Geoff Slee. Until he passed, Geoff Slee did all my stock work on custom builds.

I use Geoff Wells at JAG Precision Rifle Stocks now for a lot of work, and he is the friend I was referring to. I have known Geoff Wells for over 25 years, and he has been doing stock work for the last 10 or so years. A lot of his work is target rifle stocks, but he also did some training with Geoff Slee on making traditional walnut big game rifle stocks, and has done a few of these for myself and others recently. He is currently working on stocks for a couple of rifle builds for me.

Nice timber on that stock. Like the fiddle back.

Nice rifle, now you need some nice leather ammo pouches to go with it......
Definitely something I want to look at. I will send you knives for sheaths soon, so we can get onto ammo pouches after that.

Fine looking rifle in an awesome caliber - I love it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yreywretsw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]