AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Limpopo South Africa. US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
I was fortunate enough to come up with the bottle pictured below. Not a common occurrence for a Retired Army guy like me. It will definitely be accompanying me to my first trip to the dark continent next June.
PVW.jpg

Enjoy it! Personally I think all the Pappy bottles are overrated, especially for some of the secondary prices. Glad to see another bourbon fan that’s going to open their bottles rather than collect them.

What’s your personal favorite pour, and what’s your go to for a daily?

I have enjoyed the 15 year the most of any of the Pappy's. Good on you. Congrats!

@migrabill Wow! Be sure to pack it well.......be a shame to have it break in transit. You'd be wringing out your clothing to recollect the remains. Am saving for a poor man's buffalo hunt, so drinking Evan Williams, but am envious and wish you well on your hunt.......................FWB

Enjoy it! Personally I think all the Pappy bottles are overrated, especially for some of the secondary prices. Glad to see another bourbon fan that’s going to open their bottles rather than collect them.

What’s your personal favorite pour, and what’s your go to for a daily?
My go to for a daily is Woodford Reserve, although Blanton's and Jeffersons Ocean are also up there. The best sip of bourbon I ever had was the one time I had Pappy's 15 in Kentucky in the summer of 2022. That's when I made it a point to get a bottle if I ever could.

@migrabill Wow! Be sure to pack it well.......be a shame to have it break in transit. You'd be wringing out your clothing to recollect the remains. Am saving for a poor man's buffalo hunt, so drinking Evan Williams, but am envious and wish you well on your hunt.......................FWB
I think I am going to take about 2 shots worth from the bottle and put them in a flask for the trip.

I had a wee dram of 23 year pappy while in Kentucky. Worth the money? I don’t know. It was warm going down with a good flavor. Very smooth.

But I suppose if you aged Kesslers 23 years it would taste better too. I like anything labeled out of the Buffalo Trace distillery. Especially from the Weller family.

My brother gifted me a bottle from our family private label one Christmas.
IMG_2567.jpeg
IMG_2569.jpeg

I think I am going to take about 2 shots worth from the bottle and put them in a flask for the trip.
Naaaaa, take the whole thing! It's Africa...

That bottle will never make it with you out of JNB, unless its locked up in the gun case.

I like anything labeled out of the Buffalo Trace distillery. Especially from the Weller family.
How did the Pappy compare to the Weller? Something like Weller 12 or Special Reserve.

That bottle will never make it with you out of JNB, unless its locked up in the gun case.
Yeah- I’m just gonna flask a couple shots.

“How did the Pappy compare to the Weller? Something like Weller 12 or Special Reserve.”

To my unsophisticated palate. The same

How did the Pappy compare to the Weller? Something like Weller 12 or Special Reserve.
It doesn’t come close to WLW in my opinion. I’m a big fan of all the Weller’s though I thing CYPB and Single Barrel are overpriced/hyped. My favorite is either the antique or full proof. If you have an old bottle of the antique that’s a store pick and says NCF on it, it’s essentially the full proof. Old Elk is another decent wheated bourbon you might like.

My go to for a daily is Woodford Reserve, although Blanton's and Jeffersons Ocean are also up there. The best sip of bourbon I ever had was the one time I had Pappy's 15 in Kentucky in the summer of 2022. That's when I made it a point to get a bottle if I ever could.
If you like Blantons (again for the prices people buy it for today I think it’s over rated, at MSRP it’s a decent pour), you should try the others in its family mash bill; Hancock’s, or Rock Hill Farms (personal favorite or the three).

Woodford and Jefferson’s are great pours you can always count on finding most anywhere. Some of the older Rare Breeds are really good for the money, but you can’t discount just regular old Buffalo Trace. EH Taylor is also a great pour for me.

“How did the Pappy compare to the Weller? Something like Weller 12 or Special Reserve.”

To my unsophisticated palate. The sAlthough I have only had

To my unsophisticated palate. The same
Although I have only ever had one pour of Pappy 15, to me, it was FAR superior to the Weller 12.

Maybe if I had them side by side. I’m no expert and had been drinking others liquids prior to each of the Buffalo Trace products. Wellers and Pappy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportsmkcom

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]