Gorgeous Custom Bowie

This is my Biggest Bowie..15" Blade and 3/8 Thick of D2 Steel...Crown Stag wirh Brass Blade Catcher..I think it weighs a good 4-5pds! Took a whole cow to make the sheath!
(To put in perspective its size look at last photo with a Big Horn Armory 500 Lever)
Screenshot_20230205-095427_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230205-095445_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230205-095855_Gallery.jpg

You all might be interested in a book, Mark Zalesky from Knife Magazine has written/published with amazing pictures of original Bowie type knives, "A Sure Defense: the Bowie Knife in America". Through him I have been fortunate to handle/trace/measure/pattern many of those original "Bowie" knives including a documented James Black coffin handle bowie and a Samuel Bell blade.
James Black of Washington, Arkansas was the probable maker of the Bowie #1 model, the large blade below with the angled handle. Samuel Bell was a jeweler/maker in Knoxville, TN and San Antonio, TX in the first half of the 19th Century who made amazing intricate gentleman's knives.
As several posters have already stated the original Bowies were large, heavy blades, I have seen them as thick as a 1/2" spine. They were for a specific cutting edge up style of fighting. My personal favorite has always been the Searles-Fowler Bowie (Right side, third from the bottom) made for Rezin Bowie to give as a gift.

I really like that New Zealand blade, you can definitely see the Gold Rush era, California spear point bowie influence in it. Neat carving on the handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredrickWz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.