Good pack/backpack for carry-one and hunt daypack

If others have a right to express themselves in how they dress, speak, and act ... so do I.

View attachment 463197
its not about freedom of speech or expression...

you will find more than a few posts I've made here about being a proud hunter, not shying away from debate, etc..

Im sitting at my desk as we speak wearing a DSC 100 (volunteer) shirt.. and have been attending meetings all morning in it..

Its about not making yourself a target when traveling abroad.. either of nefarious actors.. or of airport officials.. or of common criminals..

those that look like prey, tend to get eaten...

so... be a predator..

but dont make yourself an intentional target of other predators.. especially those that may indeed be apex predators (like some jackass TSA screener that can hold you up for an additional 45 minutes and have you miss your flight whether you like it or not... or some SAPS bubba that thinks you have money to spare and wants to hold you and your bags ransom until you come up with a couple of hundred bucks... or some left over wannabe Red Brigade douche bag roaming the streets of Hamburg when youre out touring the city on a non hunting day..

I make it a rule to never run from a fight...

But it is also a rule to never encourage a fight that isnt necessary or that brings no value in a victory..

Pyrrhic victories are not part of my long term battle strategy..

A while ago I scored this pack made by Courteney for Westley Richards (ebay buy). I know it’s a bit dude-ish, but I’ve made peace with being a dude when I hunt Africa.

View attachment 463199
When you carry a rifle like that, nobody is looking at the bag you have with you, ijs

I'm a hiker and I use Osprey packs almost exclusively for hiking and travel - even though Osprey is probably run by anti-hunters they never take a anti-hunting stance but they never make gear for hunters either. But, they make great, lightweight backpacks. I have a Snowpack that I use for air travel. It's a travel bag first but has a stowaway harness to use it as a backpack. It's great in the airport because it officially fits as a carry on and is soft enough to cram in an overhead yet I can turn it into a backpack when picking up checked baggage. Build quality on Osprey stuff is topnotch.

its not about freedom of speech or expression...

you will find more than a few posts I've made here about being a proud hunter, not shying away from debate, etc..

Im sitting at my desk as we speak wearing a DSC 100 (volunteer) shirt.. and have been attending meetings all morning in it..

Its about not making yourself a target when traveling abroad.. either of nefarious actors.. or of airport officials.. or of common criminals..

those that look like prey, tend to get eaten...

so... be a predator..

but dont make yourself an intentional target of other predators.. especially those that may indeed be apex predators (like some jackass TSA screener that can hold you up for an additional 45 minutes and have you miss your flight whether you like it or not... or some SAPS bubba that thinks you have money to spare and wants to hold you and your bags ransom until you come up with a couple of hundred bucks... or some left over wannabe Red Brigade douche bag roaming the streets of Hamburg when youre out touring the city on a non hunting day..

I make it a rule to never run from a fight...

But it is also a rule to never encourage a fight that isnt necessary or that brings no value in a victory..

Pyrrhic victories are not part of my long term battle strategy..

Oh I get what you are saying as I have traveled in many countries. You need to modify your behavior and approach depending where you are traveling so as not to antagonize the wrong parties. Learn the culture and be respectful.

I won't run from a fight if there no other options, however, the best fight is the one not fought ;)

Any recommendations for a good backpack that is large enough to handle trip clothing essentials as a carry-on bag as well as being a good day pack when hunting? Preferably one with a non-camo style to it, just plain green or dark tan/brown. I was loaned a pack by a buddy for a Safari this summer but it has a very rigid frame in it that I'm just not a fan of, and it gives it less cargo capacity.

Here's an option to look into:

View attachment IMG_1966.JPG

Used this Stone Glacier pack on a trip to Spain last December, meets TSA size requirements and in two great solid color patterns. If you carry camera gear, spotter, tri-pod, extra clothing etc like the Wife and I did, the Avail - 2200 turned out to be a great versatile pack.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.52.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.52.11 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.52.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.52.13 AM.png
    751.6 KB · Views: 57
I use a Mistery Ranch 'Dragon Slayer', I find it perfect as a daypack, and small enough for travelling anyway. The Y shape zip is great, very useful to find gear from the bottom. Mine is solid "foliage green", also they make it in tan.

Some of these packs described here for a carry-on look “oversized” for the allowed carry-on size restrictions? Also, Qatar has a 15lb carry-on weight limit? I think SA Airlink has a further size/weight restriction? Maybe none of the airlines are checking the size or Qatar the weight limit? I don’t recall any airline checking this on domestic flights, but I haven’t flown Internationally except to Mexico, so am just asking? Thanks!

I'm right there with your on the size limits. Have an SA Airlink flight for my upcoming trip so don't want anything that may be borderline or above their stated limits of 22x14x9. Also don't want anything that will look like it could be a lot heavier than their 8kg (17.6lb) weight limits on hand baggage.

Many of the daypacks people have posted seem overkill for my intended use, as the cargo carrying capacity of them and their rigid frames aren't likely to be necessary for my intended use.

I'm leaning towards a Farpoint 40 travel pack or a REI Ruckpack 40, with the above mentioned Fieldhawk Timberline backpack being flattened inside for day use.

I am a sucker for a more traditional look. What I am using now, and it's my favorite of all the ones I've used in recent years, is the Continental Rucksack from L.L. Bean. I've been using it for about 4 years and got it on sale for 70 bucks. I use it as my pack for hunting, and have used it for moose, caribou, bear, and in Africa. It's also my pack for regular travel. For example, living in a remote community, on my many trips to Anchorage for medical visits or what have you, it's what I use... no need for a suitcase. I find it to be very comfortable, it's been incredibly durable, and I love how it looks.

View attachment 463079
View attachment 463080

That's definitely more what I was thinking when I picture a good multiple use backpack, I'm not a fan of the military/tactical style or hiking packs for travel.

Tom's Courteney pack is neat as well. Goes perfect with the double.

Looking back through this, it occurred to me that what the OP was asking, specifically in regards to hunting in Africa, changes things a bit. The Badlands 2200 is great for all day carry in the mountains chasing game and potentially packing out an elk quarter, but would be overkill from what I've seen and read (not yet experienced) for a safari.
This is what I've been using as my "run and gun" bag for things like antelope and prairie deer hunts where the spotting typically is from a vehicle and the stalks anticipated (always a guess) as being relatively short, i.e., not all day. It is what I plan on taking when I make it to Africa (unless I find something better, lol)
https://www.amazon.com/Banded-Avery-Messenger-Bag/dp/B07DD8YTK4?th=1
The description for this bag doesn't do it justice; more and better pockets than described, roughly 16"Hx12"Wx4-8"D(depending on what's in it). I did add a waist belt to keep it in place better if crawling. This bag rides like a muzzleloader's possibles bag; over left shoulder, on or behind right hip. Much quicker and easier to grab and throw on than a backpack of any style, even moving and carrying a rifle.
This bag would not be ideal for a carryon bag, but would absolutely work as the 'personal" item allowed.

Found a 50ml bladder that works perfect with it

This is the poor man's version of what @Tom Leoni carries. His looks better, but this one works too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.59.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.59.10 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.59.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.59.12 AM.png
    980.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.59.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.59.13 AM.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 45
Looking back through this, it occurred to me that what the OP was asking, specifically in regards to hunting in Africa, changes things a bit. The Badlands 2200 is great for all day carry in the mountains chasing game and potentially packing out an elk quarter, but would be overkill from what I've seen and read (not yet experienced) for a safari.

My pack only left the cruiser during lunch and at the end of the day. I had a small pouch on my belt for my EpiPen, phone and wallet that also carried a bottle of water on occasion. No need to carry a pack. If I were to hunt with trackers, water carriers, etc., I would have one of them carry a pack if I felt it needed to come with and figure their tips accordingly.

If you want water in a CamelBak on you at all times then that's obviously a different scenario.

Ditto in Africa. Mine stayed on the vehicle, but it was peace of mind knowing it was there and had things I consider important.

It is set up for a water bladder but I am a water bottle sort.

It is on/with me ALL day moose, caribou, and bear hunting.

They have this one in several colors. The brown appealed to me.

When I say I use it for EVERYTHING... right now it is near the door with a few decoys, shotshells, and other stuff for a duck hunt tomorrow after church. ;)

I use a few, for air travel carryon, my NorthFace Bigshot has worked out well, my older jansport has also travel well, I usually have one or the other when traveling and hunting, the maxpedition is a newer addition and I like it as well, haven’t traveled with it, but it has been working out well for carrying gear on my snow machine and it really holds quite a bit all of them were under 150.00.
B3340E12-3F26-4B26-986E-55628B3A8B8A.jpeg
61C9AB61-EDDF-434C-8F1C-5109582B75D3.jpeg

This is why I "shoot" all of the ammo I bring with me to South Africa... I have never brought a single round back to the US :)

This is why I never hunt with my carryon backpack, carrying an extra pack may be overkill. I don’t want to deal with TSA, or a foreign LEO.

Some of these packs described here for a carry-on look “oversized” for the allowed carry-on size restrictions? Also, Qatar has a 15lb carry-on weight limit? I think SA Airlink has a further size/weight restriction? Maybe none of the airlines are checking the size or Qatar the weight limit? I don’t recall any airline checking this on domestic flights, but I haven’t flown Internationally except to Mexico, so am just asking? Thanks!
I had no issues with my Badlands 2200 on Qatar or Airlink last year. I see granola yuppies with much bigger packs on airlines and nobody says a word to them that i have witnessed. The 2200 is just a bit taller than a school bookbag type of daypack that we used in college and that students use now..

I had no issues with my Badlands 2200 on Qatar or Airlink last year. I see granola yuppies with much bigger packs on airlines and nobody says a word to them that i have witnessed. The 2200 is just a bit taller than a school bookbag type of daypack that we used in college and that students use now..
I use a few, for air travel carryon, my NorthFace Bigshot has worked out well, my older jansport has also travel well, I usually have one or the other when traveling and hunting, the maxpedition is a newer addition and I like it as well, haven’t traveled with it, but it has been working out well for carrying gear on my snow machine and it really holds quite a bit all of them were under 150.00.View attachment 463371View attachment 463372
I had a Badlands 2800(?) for a few years as my elk hunting pack. Very well built pack, but the pack itself was way to heavy and not big enough to put an elk quarter in.

I bought a used USMC FILBE 3-day assault pack at a local gun show to use for Africa. It is coyote brown so no camo issues. Has plenty of room without being huge. If it can stand up to young Marines, I figure it can stand up to airlines and Africa.

I have a shooting rest that can attach to the pack using the MOLLE attachments if I need a rest other than shooting sticks.

1650848546459.png

1650848402174.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencia6

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with