Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NAHC
Hunted
South Africa, Ohio, Florida, Wyoming, Arizona
I've only used CCI Large Rifle Magnum primers (#250), but found these at a local Cabela's today. Most of the load data that I've used in the past is for the CCI#250 or Federal 215M. I need some LRM primers for a 338 Lapua, and 450 Rigby, so curious if I should snatch up a brick of these, and work up from starting load's, or wait in the hopes of scoring the CCI primers I'm used to?
IMG_20240707_165258138.jpg

Decent price. Worth a try.

I've only used CCI Large Rifle Magnum primers (#250), but found these at a local Cabela's today. Most of the load data that I've used in the past is for the CCI#250 or Federal 215M. I need some LRM primers for a 338 Lapua, and 450 Rigby, so curious if I should snatch up a brick of these, and work up from starting load's, or wait in the hopes of scoring the CCI primers I'm used to?View attachment 618283

I haven't used any of these yet....but I have them in large and small rifle. I'm still using CCI that I have on hand.

The plan is to try one 100 ct pack of each while working up some test loads.

I've used these since the '90s for my .300 win mag...old Remington cases, h4831sc, Sierra 190 grain MK.

Loaded to 2950 fps. Not the hottest, but the 26 inch barrel on my first Gen (non fluted, non stainless) Remington Sendero helped gain a tad bit more mv without loading too hot.

Used this load for 1,000 yard bench rest competitions with my plain old Sendero.

Got great case life. Primer pockets actually loosened up before any case wear signs appeared. Was getting five reloads from those Remington cases, with room for more.

Really miss those old Remington cases. Have had to move on to Norma and Lapua after ordering a bag of "new" Remington cases that looked like they were hand shaped by a monkey on speed using a rock.

Cases were dented all to hades. Looked at the headstamp and detected a very subtle difference from my old case marking. I decided they were some crappy, offshore sourced things, and went to Norma, and then Lapua when they started making that caliber...

BUY THEM ASAP!
I have used a couple hundred of these in my.458 WM and.375 H&H. No issues at all when substituting for Federal 215M. Bought them when a good friend was liquidating stock from his deceased Dads shop.
As another poster suggested, start low in powder charge and work back up with a chronograph.

My understanding is that they are a tighter QC than standard, the primer charge is more consistent than 215M.

I would buy every single box you can and not look back. Especially in today’s markets.

Yep, buy them.
If we had them here I would.
We have seen spotty supplies of LR Primers arrive but some guys are becoming desperate for Magnum Primers and it seems there's none on the horizon.

Yeah, I would have bought them all if they would let you!! Did they happen to be in a Cabelas in VA anywhere ??? Please PM if they were

Excellent primers grab as many as you can while you can! Haven’t seen any in stock in years.

Bough 2 bricks today because that's all they would allow on one visit. They had 4 left of the 12 that I saw yesterday, so there might not be any when I go tomorrow after work.

BTW, they were in the Columbus, Ohio (Polaris) store.

:unsure:"2 Per Visit", Doesn't mean mean you can't visit more than once a day. Or Limit 2 Boxes Per Day.:cool::giggle:

True, but I don't like to be greedy.
In this day and time, it's not being greedy as much as it is having a bit of inventory on hand and prepared for when things get scarce.

I like to shoot, hunt, and reload so I have plenty of available ammo on hand.

Getting 4000 of what was 12,000 primers available IMO isn't being greedy or hording its being sensible. Now had you purchased all 12,000 that might be considered being greedy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandenBraby

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,