"GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE!"

I forgot to mention maintaining good overall health and fitness throughout your life. There are exceptions regarding age. My old friend, master gunsmith Dennis Olson from Western Montana comes to mind. I recall going on a brutal 12 mile backcountry hike with Dennis, fording a river over a 50 foot fallen log, hiking with him through some hellacious steep terrain common in western Montana a few years ago all when Dennis was 80 and recovering from prostate cancer! Dennis was a loner really but wanted me to go in case I had to “pack him out.” His own therapy recovery program was to go up in the mountains with either his old Ford Bronco or snowmobile and cut timber rounds and haul them out. Tough guy.

I’m 62 years old and in semi good shape. However due to financial limitations I don’t think I’ll be able to do any mountain hunts. I plan on continuing to go to Africa until I’m not able any more. I’m also considering going to either New Zealand, Argentina or Romania for Red Stag. I hunt pheasant and deer in South Dakota. I’m also going to continue to hunt deer in my home state of Georgia. That is my plan until the Man upstairs decides it is my time. My knees are shot from all the years in the military.

’m also considering going to either New Zealand, Argentina or Romania for Red Stag.
Let me know if you want to think about a hunt somewhere together. I haven't hunted NZ or Europe yet. I'm booked for Argentina red stag this next spring. Hit me up if you want the details. They are taking free range red stag like this....

FD0ADDBE-9341-4D3E-A5DD-B24904631003IMG_3236.jpeg

The wife and I are hunting New Zealand in May of 2025.. araparwa rams, tahr, and possibly red stag…

If either of you want to join us… say the word… :)

Ooof....if you said May of '26 I probably could do it. I've got Argentina in March of '25 and bear in Canada in May '25. Sounds like a great trip. I really want to do tahr and chamois in NZ. I'm afraid after stag in Argentina, I might have another species addiction. The cool thing about stag is how many countries you can hunt them in. There are dozens of options.

It’s a really accurate statement. I think about it most seeing guys wait until the end of their careers or even retirement to pursue certain hunts. I’m glad I’ve done as much as I have and hope I have a lot more ahead of me. It’s easy to find an excuse to put something off. I don’t want to say I made excuses not to do something when I had the ability in 40 years when I may no longer have the physical ability. I also don’t want to make excuses now when the areas I want to hunt might not even exist in 20 or 30 years. I don’t think any of us can predict tomorrow. I want to see and hunt as much as I can.

I also don’t want to make excuses now when the areas I want to hunt might not even exist in 20 or 30 years. I don’t think any of us can predict tomorrow

This is my biggest question will my body or the government (this doesn't mean the US government, but world leaders) will fail me first. It is definitely a balancing act.

A booking agent and accomplished hunter told me recently…if we only hunted where the govt approves, we wouldn’t get to many interesting places. We were talking about State Dept travel statuses. I would never have gotten to Zim during Mugabe’s regime…a friend would not have gotten his Kamchatka brown bears last year…and there are many other examples.

A booking agent and accomplished hunter told me recently…if we only hunted where the govt approves, we wouldn’t get to many interesting places. We were talking about State Dept travel statuses. I would never have gotten to Zim during Mugabe’s regime…a friend would not have gotten his Kamchatka brown bears last year…and there are many other examples.

This is so true!!! You really have to read into the details of those reports and what they all mean. I forget where but the advise was, dont travel alone at night and flash statuses of wealth...hell that is good advice for parts of any major city.

This is of course the great quote of Jack Atcheson, Sr who booked hunts for so many clients over the years. I recently turned the page into my 50's and I'm thinking about that statement more and more. I have not focused enough on the sheep and goats and of course, some of them are now priced out of sight for many people. However, I could skip a year in Africa and do mountain goat, brown bear or some goats in Europe or Asia. I'm seriously thinking about which hunts are physically daunting and need to move up on my list while I have good health.

What does that quote stir up for you? Any plans you've been wanting to make but have put off for too long?

Never a truer word spoken

Lord willing, I'll turn 72 in a couple months. Did my first Africa trip in 2023. Had a great time and would like to go in '25. Hunt deer, elk, and pronghorn when I'm fortunate to draw a tag or my rancher friend gets vouchers. His ranch is at 9,800 ft elevation. I don't hoof it like at 32, but still enjoy the challenge of the hunt. In the last 12 years had several issues - ruptured quad tendon, heart attack, a couple cancers, arthroscopic shoulder work, but still trying to give "best efforts". Never quit, never give up.

Over 20yrs ago I asked Jack Atcheson for permission to put a statement that he put in his ads.

It made a statement along the lines of by 70? What % of the people would be broke. What % ill health what % dead, etc. Does anyone have the full statement?

What does that quote stir up for you? Any plans you've been wanting to make but have put off for too long?
My 90 year old mother asked me sometime ago when I would stop hunting Africa as I have been going there since my teens. My response “When I no longer can walk”.

One main reason at 67 I still spend close to two hours a day working out and still count calories and keep track of my food.

Too much plans, to many things....
But africa remains my first priority.
Buffalo, elephant, small predators.

Other hunts in sight.
Tahr in New Zealand.
White tail, in USA
Chamois somewhere in Alps, or high hills
Muntjack and CWD in UK.
Cappercaille in Northern Europe
Moose in Sweden, Russia, Canada, or USA..
SIberian roe buck
Ibex somewhere in Asia, maybe Kirgistan.
I know I will not be able to accomplish all this, but I will keep them in sight, and will jump on some opportunity sometime, if the Africa allows me some spare time and money.

This is of course the great quote of Jack Atcheson, Sr who booked hunts for so many clients over the years. I recently turned the page into my 50's and I'm thinking about that statement more and more. I have not focused enough on the sheep and goats and of course, some of them are now priced out of sight for many people. However, I could skip a year in Africa and do mountain goat, brown bear or some goats in Europe or Asia. I'm seriously thinking about which hunts are physically daunting and need to move up on my list while I have good health.

I’m hoping to do a blue sheep hunt in Nepal. Fly to Kathmandu, which I’ve heard is about 12,000 feet. Then helicopter up into the Himalayas and then hike for a day or two to the spike camp.

Here I lie, the example of not going when one should. I knew I wasn't staying in shape. More or less settled down with one woman, I live in Thailand, most exercise was walking from one bar to the next. Divorced for the last time, free and for the first time had the money. But I had let that dream go. Bam, kidney failure a few years ago. Quick recovery much to the doctor's surprise. But still things weren't 100%. I knew, did nothing. Then I was choking, couldn't get my breath. I had throat cancer, can no longer speak as my larynx is gone. Part of the skin on my leg was used to rebuild my throat causing a problem in walking. A magazine revived the dream. I booked a Cape Buffalo hunt for Sept. '25. It will be my one and only but I damn sure will make it. I'm old, but was always in fighting shape. My outfitter and PH know all, wouldn't have never not let them know. Please, if you have the money, I never did, the dream and the ability, go and go now. We don't know what will happen tomorrow. Don't end up like me in a hospital and having to work my way back to condition. Go and live that dream.

This hits close to my heart. I’m 52 and have been blessed to have friends who showed me how to hunt Elk hard on public land. Now it’s been half a decade and sadly a few to many pounds since my last western hunting trip. This year I was looking to do another hunt and realized all of those friends were either too old or had passed on. This led me to check out guided elk hunts. When I realized how much I would need to spend for a decent elk hunt I made the decision to go to South Africa. First it’s a much better value and it’s different. So I booked my trip in the Eastern Cape. Then as I started getting into shape I realized dang I’m fat. Don’t get me wrong I have always been a big due at 6’4” but I needed to loose some serious lbs. As of today I have dropped 62lbs and feel great. I’m 52 and leave to for Africa on July 10th. Couldn’t be more excited.
Remember we don’t know when our last hunt is so we better go today while there is still time.

You never know what is going to happen. I tore my knee up hunting red stag in NZ. A couple of yrs later I had both knees replaced after each being scoped twice. Decided I had to do it because I realized I wasn't physically able to go on a Tur hunt. Last year it was both hips replaced. I can still hunt, but it appears that my mountain hunts are pretty well gone. So I hunt Africa as well as deer and pronghorn at home. I still dream of the mountains tho. I can still ride a horse on mtn hunts where it can get me there.
So one never knows. One slip and there goes a knee. Old man time and then it's a hip. Then a few pounds too many and the mountains get a LOT higher. Do it while you can....
Bruce

@Green Chile - I agree completely that at age 50 you should start to “consider” what strenuous Hunts you still want to do and realize your time to complete them is Not unlimited. However, if you are in good overall Health (most important) and reasonably fit (which You can control) very few Hunts are out of your reach at 50 or 60 - you might just move along at a slower pace but most Hunting is about perseverance and putting up with fatigue and discomfort - Not Olympic level fitness. I’ve Hunted in Camps with Hunters both Younger & Older then me and “fitness” varied but Not by Age - one of the Best “walkers” I hunted with was 71 and kept up with me (42) and the Guide while 3 other guys in 30s could Not…they were fat, out of shape, carried stupid big daypacks, and “quit” when tired. Attitude has a lot to do with Hunting success. I stay in shape all year long because I enjoy working out and I don’t believe there is any hunt completely out of my reach except maybe Sheep hunts - up steep mountain sides at high altitude - I don’t mean that I couldn’t “survive it” but I think the fatigue & discomfort would take away my desire to push myself….because I don’t really care much about getting a “Sheep” anyway. And I’ve never been good walking up steep hills, not even in my 20s when I use to run 4 times a week for 3-5 miles each time…. From what I’ve seen in various Hunting Camps it is Not age that restricts Hunters abilities - it’s basic health & fitness with “fat” being the most notable problem followed by a lack of desire to “push themselves” past their comfort level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieKzq4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?